Saints 1 Man Utd 2 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

The difference? We need half a dozen chances before we score whereas Van Persie had 2 and scored twice. He really is a class act and i'm looking forward to when he buggers off :).

Mane is a random jack in the box, his decision making is pretty random - when it works he's good but too often he plays odd balls. A frustrating player.

My view on Forster hasn't changed, he's got all the physical qualities to be a top keeper but mentally Artur has it over him (despite his odd eccentricities). Artur would have plucked that free kick from Van Persie before he had a chance to score. I'd like to see him back.

Pelle has more goals in him but is being a bit starved at the moment, give him more service - a little less elaboration and more direct balls. We wasted quite a lot of first half moves tonight through over passing.

Frustrating but we are being taught a few lessons in winning at the moment, Man Utd aren't good but once again they managed to get over the line.

Still been a top season so far though.

I have never played Football Manager EVER.

Please explain the point of Koeman using Hesketh when he could have brought on Gardos and moved Bertrand up leaving Yoshida at left back and Gardos in the center with Fonte.

He's paid a large amount of money to use his experience in making judgements in team selection and tactical arrangements. As far as I'm concerned, it's his call, his responsibility, and his neck on the line.

Sat in the car

Didn't see yoshida do much wrong

Wanyama was very good

Long was good

Clyne was good

Mane was atrocious

Forster was not good at all

United were crap, 2 shots on target the whole game and we gifted them one

The ref seemed horrendous, gave us almost nothing

Disappointed with result and that I had to miss it.

Difference between us and top sides seems to be grinding out points in these games. Weren't far away from points in all - even city, who were clearly better, we there was no reason, until their 2nd, we couldn't get something.

Didn't see it but see Steve Claridge saying we dominated and deserved to win. Looks like still playing like top 6/7 side at least.

15 shots to united's 3.

Next week is more the sort of game our season will be defined by. We gained our points by consistently beating the others.

After 15 games;

13/14, 8th, 23 points, +5GD, 6 points off 4th,

14/15, 5th, 26 points, +13GD, 1 point off 4th.

Koeman saying we were better team and lost it ourselves.

Still think will better last season, just hope Everton, Liverpool and Spurs don't improve.

Did Hesketh touch the ball ??

He had quite a few - 'tidy'. Think there was one time he had a chance to shoot, but fell into the 'pass it through them' mentality (which often led to handing the ball over). Having said that, it might have been Davis.

I have never played Football Manager EVER.

Please explain the point of Koeman using Hesketh when he could have brought on Gardos and moved Bertrand up leaving Yoshida at left back and Gardos in the center with Fonte.

Why wouldnt you use targett if you were moving bertrand up ? And what would reed have done ?

We couldn't beat the worst Man U side I have seen in over 45 years of watching Saints. I think the club need to smash that black box as it produces more dunces than gems. I don't like picking on players but for a 10m pound keeper who doesn't come out of the 6 yard box to collect or kick the ball clear is poor. add to that having 2headless chickens up front and a 12 m non goal scorer ( I do like his endeavour though)

Deep breath, read that back and think - 'I am an enormous drama queen' ...We're 5th, we're in touch and we outplayed the tw*ts..words fail me at this point!

Our lack of squad depth is glaring, mane clearly needs a rest he was truly awful but there is no one to replace him. Ending the game relying on him and Mayuka is never ideal..

Had someone at the beginning of the season offered us 5th place after 15 games having played city, arsenal and utd we'd all have taken that. It's just so disappointing after the start we had.

Bloody annoying to face the top sides just as we have a injury crisis. That said Davis and Wanyama filled the middle brilliantly and Yoshida did a reasonable job too. The problem if the front positions. Mane has been woeful, Tadic hasn't done much in weeks and Long is just so frustrating. Nice to see Pelle get his goal, but boy was he **** before then and still miles off his best overall. Unless the attacking players improve quickly we are going struggle to win games.

At 1-1 and 'Saints are really dominating this game' anyone who has watched the club for more than a couple of years could have easily predicted the final score.

The question is will it be me or my grand-children who next see Saints take on a top Premier League side and actually beat them? Regardless of players or manager.

The last manager who actually did it didn't even last one season in the Premier League.

Ho hum as it ever was....

The thing that annoys me is that Boruc isn't in the squad challenging Forster. He has no threat to his position.

The last 3 games we just haven't taken chances very frustrating

Pretty much. We need another goalkeeper next month. Davis and Gazzaniga will never challenge him and Boruc isn't interested in being second choice.

Deep breath, read that back and think - 'I am an enormous drama queen' ...We're 5th, we're in touch and we outplayed the tw*ts..words fail me at this point!

He is an enormous drama queen, but we lost to 'the ****s' through our own errors and should be third.

Fifth is great when it's the best you can do. At the moment we can be better than that.

Edited by DuncanRG

Did Hesketh touch the ball ??

Yes, he had some confident touches which nearly played Davis in. We were dire in the last 10 and started hoofing it which isn't what he's used to in the U21s.

Look, we should have won that but Toby and Morgan out was a big blow. Fonte's made what 5 mistakes since 2010, you won't see that again from him this season. Fraser's confidence is gone though, totally at fault for the second and dithered for the first. Eddie Howe won't enjoy Boruc being recalled but it simply has to happen because Fraser will get peppered with crosses at Turf Moor and Bramhall Lane and we'll get a hiding in both games if he plays.

Needs to get back to the U21s and get his feet moving again. Boruc in goal Sat, Toby and Morgan return, 3-1 win.

Less said about Mane the better. Are you sure Ali Dia isn't having an expensive laugh? He makes George Lawrence look like Messi, Danny Wallace he ain't.

No meltdown needed IMO, we've played Man Utd and Arsenal, two perennial Champs League contenders and been competitive in both games. We've wasted chances like we did against Spuds and Liverpool but we've at least had the opportunities.

It was only two individual errors which cost us tonight. It's not as if we looked poor defensively. Rooney, Mata and Fellaini all kept mostly quiet. RVP didn't have too many chances aside from the two goals.

This is the match I saw

At least Hesketh looked pretty good. A tidy option to bring off the bench. Real deft touch. Hey, we're still in contention and in all the matches barring Man City we've been unlucky to not come away with points from the big sides, and 3 of those 4 were away from home. Just need a little bit more luck and slightly better decision making across the park and we're back to form.

Koeman: "City were better than us but Arsenal and Utd weren't. They punished our mistakes but we didn't punish theirs. That's the difference at this level - small details"

So now Ronald, it's your job to take the team to Turf Moor and prove we are better than the Dingles.

Doubt I'll ever see a United team as poor as that come to St Mary's again, and yet they still took all 3 points. I'm a fan of Forster but his lack of action for the second goal was plain embarrassing, especially with what we paid for him.

Sat in the car

Didn't see yoshida do much wrong

Wanyama was very good

Long was good

Clyne was good

Mane was atrocious

Forster was not good at all

United were crap, 2 shots on target the whole game and we gifted them one

The ref seemed horrendous, gave us almost nothing

Would agree with most of that, Yoshida solid, rare Fonte error, Victor excellent, Clyne too, Pelle better than recently. Tadic did OK but clearly still troubled by groin problem. Forster needs dropping asap and surely we have better in the academy than Mane? Is Sims developed enough to be on the bench? Where's Isgrove? Clutching at straws I know but Mane really has been that bad the last 3-4 games.

Long worked hard but terrible miss and header second half, De Gea shouldn't be anywhere near that.

Koeman: "We didn't lose against Utd, we lost against ourselves"

Sums it up nicely

Koeman: "City were better than us but Arsenal and Utd weren't. They punished our mistakes but we didn't punish theirs. That's the difference at this level - small details"

Well put Ron, think we can take heart having him at the helm to get things back on track, but porr bloke is not a miracle worker when it comes to injuries.

Doubt I'll ever see a United team as poor as that come to St Mary's again, and yet they still took all 3 points. I'm a fan of Forster but his lack of action for the second goal was plain embarrassing, especially with what we paid for him.

That's how I see that result. They were no shakes and sadly, we gave them all 3 points.

Why wouldnt you use targett if you were moving bertrand up ? And what would reed have done ?

Reed could have come on alongside Wanyama and released Davis to play further up the field?

Got to say, if I was Reed, I'd be thinking if I didn't get a game tonight with Morgan, Cork, Toby, JWP all out, I probably never will.

the truth hurts and so you throw childish insults. The performance Man U did tonight was the worst I have seen, and I saw them in their relegation season. It's all very easy to say we're 5th blah blah blah, but it was about tonight. A team in 5 th should have beaten that poor Utd side.

Our lack of squad depth is glaring, mane clearly needs a rest he was truly awful but there is no one to replace him. Ending the game relying on him and Mayuka is never ideal..

Had someone at the beginning of the season offered us 5th place after 15 games having played city, arsenal and utd we'd all have taken that. It's just so disappointing after the start we had.

He is an enormous drama queen, but we lost to 'the ****s' through our own errors and should be third.

Fifth is great when it's the best you can do. At the moment we can be better than that.

I think you should keep to your posts calling ' all men vile '