Our Support

simo

Vicious circle

Crap results = crap support

I don't remember this being the case at any other point of my lifetime though (granted I'm only 27, but the point stands). Our desire to support shouldn't purely hinge on what's happening on the pitch.

Although we seemed to resist the 'Premier League hush' for about 18 months after our return, the difference this season has been noticeable. I love a good atmosphere and being part of it is a fantastic release. Yet increasingly I find myself one of only a handful (in the Northam) singing when the team's not firing on all cylinders.

It's got nothing to do with trying to be a 'superfan' and everything to do with being saddened that some of the game's life and soul is dissipating.

Our support at Arsenal, Burnley and Sheffield was diabolical. Supporting your team isn't just paying for a match ticket and sitting in your seat (or standing) - a neutral can do that. IMO support is classified as giving encouragement and backing to your team by applauding, singing, chanting, whatever...... Not just turning up.

I'm 56 and have been following Saints for years and our away support has got steadily worse over the years - not the numbers but the atmosphere. So may people just stand silently as if they were watching a neutral match not involving your club. I put plenty of effort into backing Saints when I follow them away (and mostly at home) but I am not going to join in with meaningless songs about Pompey and telling our hosts that their support is effing sh*te. A few renditions of OWTS and other player or club related songs are far more likely to encourage mass participation from our aged band of followers - the average age of which has definitely risen as the cost of travel, food, tickets, etc is expensive and generally the younger fan with more important commitments (children, mortgage, etc.) is reluctant or unable to spend such sums.

We are not very good en masse at getting behind our team when we are losing. However it does work both ways - the players have got to show some commitment and not just go through the motions as happened on Tuesday night. I don't blame our fans for their lack of vocal backing on Tuesday. We could have sung ourselves hoarse and it wouldn't have made any difference - the team were pathetic, ill-disciplined and incompetent.

Funnily enough the loudest chant of the night was "one Les Reed" and the biggest cheer when his face came up on the big screens.
I sure you gave your loudest chant of the night when you saw him. He must feel like Alan Partridge with his stalker with you about

It has not been great lately, but what has there been to be excited about?

It certainly doesn't help that SMS usually has a fair percentage of away fans in the home end.

Really? I'm a season ticket holder and I can't say I've witnessed any in home areas for quite some time, even against the mancs recently. They must be keeping very quiet, are they texting you?

I have been to both and the EPL support generally is quite similar to the J League in Japan. You have the general audience who await entertainment and then the fanatiks who build the atmosphere for everyone and lead the songs. They are the ones who make most of the noise and the others just cheer when there is a goal or close goal chance.

I like my visits to St Mary's and always enjoy being part of the Saints family.

I have been to both and the EPL support generally is quite similar to the J League in Japan. You have the general audience who await entertainment and then the fanatiks who build the atmosphere for everyone and lead the songs. They are the ones who make most of the noise and the others just cheer when there is a goal or close goal chance.

I like my visits to St Mary's and always enjoy being part of the Saints family.

If I see you at St Mary's today Yuki-san, you're getting knocked out son

It was very good today, I certainly noticed it in the build-up to the second goal.

Everton's fans by contrast may as well have not turned up, silent throughout.

It was great and a bloke behind me said it would be good to score the 2nd now. Within a minute, we did

It has not been great lately, but what has there been to be excited about?

It certainly doesn't help that SMS usually has a fair percentage of away fans in the home end.

That's rubbish I've sat in all stands at st marys and its incredibly rare to get an away fan in the home section. Not sure what you've got to support that. What we do have is quite elderly support in side stands and family support in Chapel end which generally means the only areas to make any noise are the northam, itchen north and Kingsland north.

Good atmosphere yesterday , helps winning and under the lights

That's rubbish I've sat in all stands at st marys and its incredibly rare to get an away fan in the home section. Not sure what you've got to support that. What we do have is quite elderly support in side stands and family support in Chapel end which generally means the only areas to make any noise are the northam, itchen north and Kingsland north.

Good atmosphere yesterday , helps winning and under the lights

Was excellent yesterday I particularly liked the rendition of OWTS after the final whistle.