Saints 1 Palace 0 - Post Match Nerve Reconstruction

St Chalet

Man of the Match v Crystal Palace  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Crystal Palace

I thought the first half was pretty good, 30 mins or so we dominated it. Played with zip, purpose, pace, tempo. I thought after that, Palace got more of a grip and we slowed down. 2nd half wasn't as dominant and was a bit edgy, but oddly we got the goal when we probably weren't playing at the best level.

I must have dozed off for that bit, I saw a largely nervous team frequently mis-passing, mis-contolling and over-hitting their through balls. I also saw a lot of falling over, running down blind alleys, desperate long-range 'shooting' and intricate link-ups that never quite came off. I can't really remember their back four being stretched at all in the first half. With MS and VW dominating midfield and no real end product it looked to me like an object lesson in WGS's 'propaganda football'.

Completely agree, and I'd like to think it made some difference. Drowned out the few moaners when things weren't going our way, didn't really let up when Palace were attacking, and most of the crowd found their way back to it after any super-exciting moments. Everyone was proper giving it too. No half measures, belting it out.

It went on so long that Palace fans felt forced two renditions of "you've only got one song". Weird, they were complaining about not being able to hear a f**king thing earlier. Football fans. Fickle.

Reminded me of the good, old days in Itchen North, the L1 and Championship years, when only block 4 was open.

I thought we only really started to look like making something happen in the second half, once Tadic had come on and Fonte started to play more offensively.. sticking the odd ball into the box.

Djuricic looks useful but as he plays for us he is never going to get anything from a referee, so needs to stay on his feet longer.

Thought Djuricic looked handy and will be a good player when he gets used to the type of tackle he's going to be on the receiving end of in the PL, pace, technicity, got it all, just a bit more muscle and he'll be not so dusty.

Reminded me of the good, old days in Itchen North, the L1 and Championship years, when only block 4 was open.

Before my Itchen North time, unfortunately. I mostly did away games back in those days, and would roll up to wondrous places like Rochdale, Oldham and Walsall, where if nothing else, the Saints fans could be relied upon to consistently make noise. That's really why I love it. At its best, it's like having the away fan vibe in your own stadium. At its worst, its replete with glory hunting mugs from other f**king teams, keeping quiet if they have sense, getting lamped if they haven't. Either way, they're not shouting for Saints.

Some of my best memories for atmosphere at sms were when I was in the Northam in thoses lower league games , evening games especially! It all seems a bit tame in there from where I sit in the Kingsland north now?

Coming from them, the vast majority of their "songs" are just noise.

That's one of the things that annoys me about Palace fans - they make a good noise away from home (Selhurst is usually a graveyard unless one of the big boys is in town) but their songs are mostly just noises rather than actually being about/for the club. Their "ultras" are f*cking laughable as well, they're basically 50 or so spotty lads in black jackets that like to do synchronised dance moves during the game - it's like Glee meets Football Factory. The ultras in Italy have their reputation because of their numbers, it doesn't quite have the same effect when you've got a smatterig of geezers from Bromley giving it the big 'un at you.

When Pelle went off and Long came on we had a more fluid shape and some spaces opened up - one foo which enabled JWP to go through and shoot for the goal. I thought our defending in the last five minutes plus was the level of a pub team - why didn't we keep possession and play football - we could have had a second - but instead we just gave the ball back to them time after time! Sill that was three very valuable points.

I must have dozed off for that bit, I saw a largely nervous team frequently mis-passing, mis-contolling and over-hitting their through balls. I also saw a lot of falling over, running down blind alleys, desperate long-range 'shooting' and intricate link-ups that never quite came off. I can't really remember their back four being stretched at all in the first half. With MS and VW dominating midfield and no real end product it looked to me like an object lesson in WGS's 'propaganda football'.

You and me both.

Coming from them, the vast majority of their "songs" are just noise.

That's one of the things that annoys me about Palace fans - they make a good noise away from home (Selhurst is usually a graveyard unless one of the big boys is in town) but their songs are mostly just noises rather than actually being about/for the club. Their "ultras" are f*cking laughable as well, they're basically 50 or so spotty lads in black jackets that like to do synchronised dance moves during the game - it's like Glee meets Football Factory. The ultras in Italy have their reputation because of their numbers, it doesn't quite have the same effect when you've got a smatterig of geezers from Bromley giving it the big 'un at you.

I can't stand the whole Ultras thing, but their support last night wasn't any of the Ultras stuff, decent range of songs, loud, better than we've been away from home this season.

I can't stand the whole Ultras thing, but their support last night wasn't any of the Ultras stuff, decent range of songs, loud, better than we've been away from home this season.

Thought they were nobs, meself. West Ham may have been quieter overall, but we had better banter with their fans than we did with Palarse, who had three modes - the loud collective singing you rightly praise, getting excited when their team accidentally got near our goal (joke, visiting Palace lurkers) and utter fkn silence (not a joke, visiting Palace lurkers).

At least we've got an excuse. The rarefied air of our alpine top four surroundings has created angst that has not existed before, which has not created a good atmosphere at St Mary's in recent games. I've seen someone on their forums moaning about our OWTS spam. Fúck em. They were effectively prevented from supporting their team during crucial periods of yesterday's game, and our own boo boys got drowned out in the din.

It got the job done. Let Palace do a karaoke act if they want. We're there to support a football team, not get through a setlist.

Their songs are like the playlist at a Girl Guides convention.

Thought they were nobs, meself. West Ham may have been quieter overall, but we had better banter with their fans than we did with Palarse, who had three modes - the loud collective singing you rightly praise, getting excited when their team accidentally got near our goal (joke, visiting Palace lurkers) and utter fkn silence (not a joke, visiting Palace lurkers).

At least we've got an excuse. The rarefied air of our alpine top four surroundings has created angst that has not existed before, which has not created a good atmosphere at St Mary's in recent games. I've seen someone on their forums moaning about our OWTS spam. Fúck em. They were effectively prevented from supporting their team during crucial periods of yesterday's game, and our own boo boys got drowned out in the din.

It got the job done. Let Palace do a karaoke act if they want. We're there to support a football team, not get through a setlist.

No way was West Ham's support better than Palace's this season. Yeah, they sing bit of an orchestratedset list, but they make more noise getting behind their team than most. Were good in the cup game as well.

No way was West Ham's support better than Palace's this season. Yeah, they sing bit of an orchestratedset list, but they make more noise getting behind their team than most. Were good in the cup game as well.

Palace were definitely louder, but they had no respect, and seemed so far up their own arses (and perhaps supporting culture) as to be immune to banter. West Ham were a better laugh.

The pressure is what has been killing us, fans and team. At the beginning of the season, no-one really had any expectations beyond hoping that Koeman, this unknown quantity in England, would somehow turn this ragtag bunch of recruits into a functioning part of our existing team.

Our dip in performance recently was a harsh reality check, as was December. We've got players that can put the ball in the back of the net, but we now know that they require a lot of chances to convert, more so during periods of low confidence and bad form. Actually think this had a positive effect tonight. The consensus amongst the fans that I talked to was that they just wanted a fkn goal! From Champions League to that, eh?

Noticed a bit less jeering and a lot more support from the fans tonight, even before the goal. I think a few fans, myself included, have gotten a bit too ambitious as the season has progressed. I still think we have a decent chance. The end of the season is usually mental, throwing up all kinds of results as teams battle for Premier League glory or survival. I submit Brendan Rodger's planned 8-0 victory at Crystal Palace as evidence.

Our fans are just going to be hoping for another goal. Pressure is all on Chelsea, and I reckon Bertrand will have a point to prove.

Strangely I agree with most of this :)