Saints 1 Palace 0 - Post Match Nerve Reconstruction

St Chalet

Man of the Match v Crystal Palace  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Crystal Palace

I thought Schneiderlin and Mane were our best players, Forster very good as well. Schneiderlin stood out for his attitude and focus as much as anything else, really seemed to have the bit between his teeth. I agree with various others, Djuricic pretty good, but Elia really doesn't do enough for me, despite a fair bit of effort.

I think Palace are a good side, surprised they haven't got more points on the board so far.

Support/atmosphere was a funny mix. Loads and loads of empty seats in ours and Palaces end. Fair few groans and idiotic shouts of "shooot" throughout the first half, decent prolonged spell of OWTS through the 2nd half lifted things. Palace definitely one of the better away supports at the moment.

To start with Palace are not the Palace we rolled over on Boxing Day far from it since Pardew stepped in, this was not going to be a walk over even more so since Palace had their tales up from the weekend win.

I thought for the first 30 minutes we looked tidy with a lot less of the fannying around as their 18yrd box loomed into view, then it seemed like frustration crept into the team as despite a good long spell of Football they still were not getting anywhere closer to scoring and Saints heads seemed to drop a little.

Palace went for the smash and grab after the break but we repelled that. The desperation for that goal was showing with the crowd and the players as they pressed harder for it than we have seen of late, when the goal came you could feel the relief from all round the stadium. Then the players teased us with their Mickey Mouse the ball is a bomb with the fuse lit defending, the refs whistle was a relief.

Djuricic looks to be settling down now and looks a bit handy with it, Yoshida is proving that he is a player who with a run of games under his belt keeps on improving, Mané just seems to be a man on a mission and listening to his interview on Solent a happy soul with it, Long when he came on despite being a little rusty added a different twist to our front line as he is so lively. Big Vic was his usual imperious mountain in the middle eager to get stuck in with some deft touches, my MOTM, what made me smile was any other Saint player with the ball being closed down was getting the "man on" shout from the crowd, Big Vic being closed down not a peep as if folks are assured that whoever try's it on will invariably just bounce off him!!

Phew a win and a goal at home.

agree with the comment about Palace being a far better team than when we rolled them on Boxing day.... at the moment they are going quite well so a result here is a good result and very important..

funny to see the different views on here about who played well and who didnt.... anyway being in oz never watched the game but will watch it ton ight.. just happy to get the result tbh

the amount of times this season liverpoo and spurs have won ugly ... well we were definetley due one thats for sure.

I think Chelsea might suit us as there is no big pressure to take the game to them like there has been lately! Wasn't convinced tonight we look nervous hope our trip away will perk us up a bit
i disagree. I think the pressure should be there.

if we had beaten West Brom along with CP, you might have a case; but we picked up a loss we didn't expect, we need to pick up a win we don't expect.

going into the match against Chelsea on Sunday we could be in 7th place.

i disagree. I think the pressure should be there.

if we had beaten West Brom along with CP, you might have a case; but we picked up a loss we didn't expect, we need to pick up a win we don't expect.

going into the match against Chelsea on Sunday we could be in 7th place.

The pressure is what has been killing us, fans and team. At the beginning of the season, no-one really had any expectations beyond hoping that Koeman, this unknown quantity in England, would somehow turn this ragtag bunch of recruits into a functioning part of our existing team.

Our dip in performance recently was a harsh reality check, as was December. We've got players that can put the ball in the back of the net, but we now know that they require a lot of chances to convert, more so during periods of low confidence and bad form. Actually think this had a positive effect tonight. The consensus amongst the fans that I talked to was that they just wanted a fkn goal! From Champions League to that, eh?

Noticed a bit less jeering and a lot more support from the fans tonight, even before the goal. I think a few fans, myself included, have gotten a bit too ambitious as the season has progressed. I still think we have a decent chance. The end of the season is usually mental, throwing up all kinds of results as teams battle for Premier League glory or survival. I submit Brendan Rodger's planned 8-0 victory at Crystal Palace as evidence.

Our fans are just going to be hoping for another goal. Pressure is all on Chelsea, and I reckon Bertrand will have a point to prove.

J

To start with Palace are not the Palace we rolled over on Boxing Day far from it since Pardew stepped in, this was not going to be a walk over even more so since Palace had their tales up from the weekend win.

I thought for the first 30 minutes we looked tidy with a lot less of the fannying around as their 18yrd box loomed into view, then it seemed like frustration crept into the team as despite a good long spell of Football they still were not getting anywhere closer to scoring and Saints heads seemed to drop a little.

Palace went for the smash and grab after the break but we repelled that. The desperation for that goal was showing with the crowd and the players as they pressed harder for it than we have seen of late, when the goal came you could feel the relief from all round the stadium. Then the players teased us with their Mickey Mouse the ball is a bomb with the fuse lit defending, the refs whistle was a relief.

Djuricic looks to be settling down now and looks a bit handy with it, Yoshida is proving that he is a player who with a run of games under his belt keeps on improving, Mané just seems to be a man on a mission and listening to his interview on Solent a happy soul with it, Long when he came on despite being a little rusty added a different twist to our front line as he is so lively. Big Vic was his usual imperious mountain in the middle eager to get stuck in with some deft touches, my MOTM, what made me smile was any other Saint player with the ball being closed down was getting the "man on" shout from the crowd, Big Vic being closed down not a peep as if folks are assured that whoever try's it on will invariably just bounce off him!!

Phew a win and a goal at home.

Loved the Micky Mouse analogy!

We have some odd individuals watching the game. One fella about a few rows behind us was berating the players all game. Going on how crap we are and how it is clear the club are trying to avoid getting into Europe etc... He was evidently leathered.

The funniest moment was when he was so angry that JWP came on he went home.

LOL

Upset my wife and child by refusing to see the latter to bed "because I was watching the footy". I would say it was worth it, but the atmos in here is awful tbh. UP THE SAINTS

Your wife doesn't understand you, in fact it seems she doesn't understand men or football at all. You may have to remind her that the wives of football fans can only ever be the second love of their man.

Think we need to get back to basics and what made us good. Tadic may have been off form, but he needs to play, he's a more intelligent player than the other options. For me we need to start Tadic and Mane up front now, and I'd switch Pelle for Long for a game or two.

As for midfield, I'd rather it was Davis or JWP in front of Wanyama and Morgan, not Djuricic. I don't see how he's earned the place and these signings maybe disrupted things a bit. Our main positive was lack of changes, the team knowing how it was set up, who played where. Djuricic needs to prove himself and work out what position he is, but at the moment there's no way I'd sign him. Rather sign Elia of the two but wouldn't start either so is there any point? Tadic and Mane have great potential to improve and have already shown good ability this season. Rather than money went on a decent goalscorer to play with them.

No way prowse has earnt it either. Been rubbish recently.

Have to disagree about Vic he's been the bedrock for the defence since he came back into the team after Swansea away, I would put him down as the most improved player this season just ahead of yoshi

I didn't phrase it right. I agree generally that Vic has been our most improved player and he undoubtedly merits a place in the side. I just think he's been less influential going forward in the last few games and tends to get caught out with the ball more, like last season. But I still think he's been really good and would bet his form will improve...

not just teams, but also I have a like / dislike list of other managers.....(guess which Spuds manager is bottom of my list ..sorry first team coach).

I liked Pardew from Day 1, and as many others.. was confused/disappointed/sad when Cortese gave him the push, however in view of what followed ...I'll not complain.

Watched the post-match interviews last night and heard him say that ...." .the Saints centre-backs were going through the back of his strikers all the time."

well I suppose, there has to be an explanation for every defeat, but ...

- if you mean that our defenders went for the ball / headers ..whilst your strikers stood and played statues, then sorry .....that's a pretty lame excuse, Al.

Still I'm glad that he's rehabilitated Palace enough to save them from relegation...... but also that we won't have to play the again this season.

Kp I agree with you completely. The guy is immense. Kokakole go to Specsavers.

Just calling it as I saw it. I think on the whole he's been very good for us this season and is one of the candidates for player of the season honours.

But, I think last night he was ponderous in possession and his performance reminded me more of last season's Wanyama: tough in the tackle, difficult to get around in midfield, but not particularly clever on the ball.

Keeping the ball well and passing it around really well, just no cutting edge at the moment. We are a little wobbly at the moment, but after Chelses away we have the better run of games, but we have just had an 'easier' run!

Game against Spurs will be huge for the 6th spot.

The amount of times we pass sideways when someone is moving into space is frustrating. Then the ball finally comes and Elia or someone else is either off side or has someone on his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We over play, for the sake of keeping the ball, when sometimes a push forward could be a better opition. Saying this, we play like this and have been all season and it has work. I think we will come good again and moving forward comes with confidence.

The team need a break and while away, they need to take a look at the table and see that, they have done fantastic, but need to finish the job off. At the end of the season all that will be left in history is the final table!

Please can we play tadic on the left when he plays. That's where he started the season and in the ten mins he played there last night he put in three dangerous crosses.

I'm confused, i defo remember him playing right wing vs liverpool with overlaps from clyne and a nice backheel to set up the first goal :mcinnes:

Well done to all in Itchen North last night. Kept OWTS going for a long time rather than going silent/getting on the players backs.

I have to agree, couldn't make it down last night but the atmosphere and support given to the team was cracking. The chap on the stream kept on criticising the boring affair that was the first half and never once mentioned the great support and noise of the crowd... this really annoyed me.... then we scored and i was happy :lol:

If they ever get to make the DVD of that one we can rest assured that the title 'Thriller' has already been taken, may I suggest 'Turgid' as a suitable alternative? It really was a hard watch at times, in the first half Palace looked shot from their weekend exertions and despite us having the lion's share of possession, MS and VW ran the midfield virtually unopposed for the first 45 minutes, but our front 4, plus the two fullbacks failed to create anything worthwhile (I think I've seen this one before?). We are just so rigid and predictable in our movements, long-ball up to Pelle who seems to operate in an ever decreasing radius (by my estimation he was down to an area of about 6m by 2m last night), he flicks it or chests it on (he quite regularly won stuff last night), the midfield is then 20m behind the play and the wide players are both pegged out wide, sometimes when I'm watching it I'm not entirely sure what Plan A actually is..... When we did get it down most of our best moments came from Mane who cut in dangerously several times but at least twice he shanked his shot high wide and handsome. Palace offered little in a mind-numbing first half though Forster managed to keep them interested when he dropped a routine catch at the near post. For me Elia has a lot to do to earn a contract, hopefully Tadic can sort himself out in the forthcoming break and get back to being a regular starter. Second half was a brighter affair all round; Palace stirred themselves and while Saints continued to monopolise possession, generally to no great effect, Palace looked genuinely threatening on the counter with Puncheon and Bolasie both looking dangerous and both looking more direct than anything we had on show. Fair play to Fonte and Yoshi and Forster who were extended several times and generally came up with the answers to gain a well-earned clean sheet. Only question was could we, would we, should we score, and Koeman finally saw the light pulling off the ineffectual Pelle and replacing him with the lively Long and adding Tadic to the mix too. Once Pelle went the game changed with Saints suddenly became more fluid with the Palace CB's being pulled out of their comfort zone as we started to interchange in the attacking third, the goal was soft when it came, JWP advancing through their at-last disrupted ranks and hitting half a shot (at least it was on target. yay!), Speroni spilled it, and Mane did the rest. Relief all round but Palace roused themselves for a rather nail-biting finale as Saints somewhat nervously held on.

Whither to from here? Koeman talks a good game (playing down CL ambitions on Saturday, saying last night that it was one of the biggest results of the season) but what have Saints got left in the locker for the run-in? Watching for 80 minutes last night was a bit like watching the fag end of the previous two seasons where Pochotino's sides went through the motions, out of both cups, not going up or down, and with several players with their heads already elsewhere. The selections look a bit random at the moment with no clear pattern up front; for me I'd give Long the next three games and get Davis and Tadic back in the team, Toby to come back in, and if we could get the fullbacks back firing again we could yet surprise one or two. If we persist with Pelle I can't see much more than the long-drawn out, excitement-free, run-in/wind-down we've seen for the last two seasons.

Pre-match curry (that little red place by the bridge in Woolston) 8, unexpectedly good

Weather 3, freezing

Atmosphere 7, in the circumstances surprisingly positive

Ref watch 8, much better than recently though TBF it was a very straightfd incident free game to ref!

Traffic, 10 on the way down, 4 on the way back (A3 closed, diverted cross-country to Gatwick, M25 junction closed, loads of 50 mph roadworks)

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Its good to see the Wanyama / Schneiderlin partnership getting back towards its best, I think their injuries and not being 100% hit us.

Djuricic had a good game, although he goes to ground easily, he won freekicks most of the time - including about 4 or 5 in good positions. One of his runs was very special. He also has good vision and will do better as gets more game time. Played better than Davis or JWP have been recently and gives us needed cover for form.

Thought Mane was very good, not just attacking but his work rate - with his speed he gets back and blocks.

Feel for Pelle, needs a goal. Don't like some of the comments about his ability on here, if course he is off form but all the stuff about him not being up to standard forgets he was vital to our season so far.

My tactic of avoiding the score until final whistle paid off. You all have me to thank.

PS if you were going on a team bonding break, would you choose Switzerland?

I'd chose Vegas. But them I am not running a multi million ££££ football club

The owner is swiss. we have been over there lots. Little/no media attention (unless we have a joey barton type of incident)...makes sense

Think we need to get back to basics and what made us good. Tadic may have been off form, but he needs to play, he's a more intelligent player than the other options. For me we need to start Tadic and Mane up front now, and I'd switch Pelle for Long for a game or two.

As for midfield, I'd rather it was Davis or JWP in front of Wanyama and Morgan, not Djuricic. I don't see how he's earned the place and these signings maybe disrupted things a bit. Our main positive was lack of changes, the team knowing how it was set up, who played where. Djuricic needs to prove himself and work out what position he is, but at the moment there's no way I'd sign him. Rather sign Elia of the two but wouldn't start either so is there any point? Tadic and Mane have great potential to improve and have already shown good ability this season. Rather than money went on a decent goalscorer to play with them.

Strange evaluation of Djuricic who looks to have settled straight in, despite moving to a new country and having not played much this season, and has played well. He is brave on the ball, clearly more skilful than Davis or JWP and looks much more likely to play an incisive pass. He's basically Gaston but without the tendency to give the ball away cheaply. He gives us something that Lallana used to, which is the ability to transition a harmless looking midfield situation into an attack through moving dynamicallly with the ball. He and Mane are our only players who do that.

[quote=adriansfc;2147681

As for midfield, I'd rather it was Davis or JWP in front of Wanyama and Morgan, not Djuricic. I don't see how he's earned the place and these signings maybe disrupted things a bit.

At the moment, none of the options for #10 have 'earned it'. Davis now has 3 assists and no goals in his last 38 league appearances (that's a whole season for those who are counting). JWP has more assists, but also hasn't scored any goals. Last night Djuricic looked capable of beating his opponent with both pace and skill, which the other two seem largely incapable of, and he played a good number of attacking passes (not all of which came off of course, but for those who'd prefer attacking players not take risks with possession, I refer you back to Paul Scholes' recent comments, and our scoring record since January).

I'm confused, i defo remember him playing right wing vs liverpool with overlaps from clyne and a nice backheel to set up the first goal :mcinnes:

Similarly I remember Elia on the right for his two goals v Newcastle. Yesterday he was poor but when he had a chance to go past his man, on the left, he kept turning inside to use his right foot.

Similarly I remember Elia on the right for his two goals v Newcastle. Yesterday he was poor but when he had a chance to go past his man, on the left, he kept turning inside to use his right foot.

I think Elia has only ever played on the left for us, apart from swapping wings for a few periods of the game. His goals against Newcastle came from the right and through the middle but in both cases he ran from the left which was his starting position.

Absolutely spot on. I've been saying for a while that Davis and Long should be starting with only on or two of Mane, Djuricic, Elia. The balance is all wrong when we try and play 3 of those creative types. That type of player is too inconsistent and playing 3 of them is too much. Davis is a great link-up player and should be starting every game. A far better option that JWP!

I'd chose Vegas. But them I am not running a multi million ££££ football club

The owner is swiss. we have been over there lots. Little/no media attention (unless we have a joey barton type of incident)...makes sense

Pretty sure the players would all have chosen a spot of beach action. Happily, think media aren't really that interested in our lot in their speedos. Except that Pelle pic with his missus, obv

The question: is this an Everton win where our confidence flowed back and we went on a really good run or a QPR win that was just a lucky 90th min strike that did nothing to change the way we played after with confidence still low.

I think had we scored earlier and started to play the ball around then it could of been an Everton as is was we scored late and then just panicked, which has done little for our confidence

Strange evaluation of Djuricic who looks to have settled straight in, despite moving to a new country and having not played much this season, and has played well. He is brave on the ball, clearly more skilful than Davis or JWP and looks much more likely to play an incisive pass. He's basically Gaston but without the tendency to give the ball away cheaply. He gives us something that Lallana used to, which is the ability to transition a harmless looking midfield situation into an attack through moving dynamicallly with the ball. He and Mane are our only players who do that.
Agree with all that. Mane and Djuricic moved the ball quickly and looked to stretch Palace more than any of our other options. Will be interesting to see how we set up away to Chelsea though as it'll be a very different game to dealing with teams that are just parking the bus against us. Edited by Sour Mash

I think Elia has only ever played on the left for us' date=' apart from swapping wings for a few periods of the game. His goals against Newcastle came from the right and through the middle but in both cases he ran from the left which was his starting position.[/quote']

I will defer to your memory of the Newcastle game, but watching him closely last night (first half) he was unwilling or unable to use his left foot at all.

Djuriric played well and looked more slippery than Tadic. Mané was our main threat, though I'd like him to pick the ball up closer to goal. Indeed, the lead up to his goal showed how much more dangerous it is when you (JWP incredibly) commit opponents in central areas, opening up space on both sides, though we seem fixated with wing play, only coming inside when it breaks down by which time the opposition is nice and compact.

We kept a clean sheet, though both CBs were sloppy at times, gifting palace their chances. Elia tends to start games strong, then fade. By contrast, Morgan grew as the game went on, though didn't see many well-publicised runs. Victor wasn't his dominant self.

Pelle's lack of aggression or anticipation in the box is infuriating. At least, one occasion where a cross was put in and Tadic jumped quicker and higher to beat Pelle to the header, notwithstanding the fact that both occupied the same starting position. As much as Pelle is statuesque, not sure how much Long changed things. Thought the ball came back a lot more after he came on which contributed to the squeaky bums.

No problems with the ref, perhaps because he gave us most 50/50s ;)

Just back from the match. I'll take 1-0 any day. Djuricic looks an excellent prospect. Mane always looks to me like a headless chicken (what trick shall I do next?) but his tenacity and persistence paid off and a little shout from JWP who set up the goal. Elia clearly struggling and Pelle at last got hauled off, guess he'll warm the bench for a while? Our defence under pressure at the last looked like Dad's Army.

Just back from the match. I'll take 1-0 any day. Djuricic looks an excellent prospect. Mane always looks to me like a headless chicken (what trick shall I do next?) but his tenacity and persistence paid off and a little shout from JWP who set up the goal. Elia clearly struggling and Pelle at last got hauled off, guess he'll warm the bench for a while? Our defence under pressure at the last looked like Dad's Army.

Did you crawl back to the New Forest? :)

Strange game last night, but great to get a goal and 3 points. Thankfully traffic on way down was OK and arrived really early unlike West Ham game, so things were looking good. Even the weather was a great improvement. Team seemed anxious, nervous even, snatching at things in the first half, and making uncharacteristic errors. Yoshida (I am a big supporter of him) proceeded to have his worst game for a long time, perhaps realising that this place is in jeopardy with the return to fitness of Toby. His miss in the 2nd half was typical of the issue we have scoring at the moment. Forster displayed his apparent lack of confidence with the fumble, but more than made up for this with a couple of very good saves, uncharacteristic that he actually had a few shots on target to save. Clyne played well but did have to concentrate more on his defensive duties, and there were a few occassions when it seemed like he and Jose had never even met before, strange to see these two having misunderstandings. Bertrand was not very effective, especially in the first half, most of our good stuff coming down our right. He was perhaps not helped by Elia having a very poor first half. In the second half Elia just seemed to be getting into his stride when he was hauled off by Ron. Schneiderlin was back almost to his peerless best, he was immense last night. His tenacity and workrate were superb. I say almost back, he did give two silly balls away, but on both occassions he fought like hell to redeem his mistake and won the ball back. Corners were also pretty good, just not sure I want to see Morgan taing corners when he is also good in the box. His mate Vic was also superb as well, he really is so good at spoiling anything that the opponent tries in the middle and he was getting forward much more and effectively. Thought Filip was also very good at least early on, but he is a bit lightweight, would like to see him "muscle up" a bit, he is clearly very talented, but pushed off the ball a bit too easily at the moment. Mane was excellent, and won us a lot of free kicks with his running. Graziano was actually having one of his best games for a long time - for the first time recently he was winning headers regularly and some of his lay-offs were sublime, but still he was snatching at chances rather than showing some composure, and he does seem very slow nowadays (though looks can be deceptive for big guys). But the change taking him off worked perfectly, Long stretching the Palace defence was exactly what was needed. Really didn't see much of any worth by Tadic. Leaves us with JWP, of course he will be given credit for making the winning goal, and fair play his direct running and making space was good, his shot was absolutley woeful, thankfully Speroni was presumably expecting something better and uncharacteristically spilled the shot which gave Mane the chance that we had been waiting for. Sadly JWP then proceeded to have a complete nightmare with everything he did in open play putting us into some degree of trouble. We looked really awful in those last few minutes, sitting back and inviting Palace to try to score, instead of doing what we were doing well and pushing for a second without leaving us exposed at the back.

So great to get back to winning ways, and even the traffic getting out was great, back home before 11.30, despite a a French **** trying to take me out on the M3 and then another complete bozo in one of those toy cars (Chevrolet Maritz?) virtually stopping in the middle lane right in front of me and then travelling at 30 mph for the next mile and causing all sorts of danger to other road users. How some people are allowed to be on the roads is mystifying to me at times.

Good night all in all, not the greatest game, but home with a smile on our face again.

The low confidence of recent weeks shows in our passing accuracy, earlier in the season the players were taking passes in their stride, last night like most of the matches in 2015, they have been stretching to get the ball, or having to check as the ball is played slightly behind where it should be. Hopefully the break will refresh the players and they will get back their early season form.

I thought we only really started to look like making something happen in the second half, once Tadic had come on and Fonte started to play more offensively.. sticking the odd ball into the box.

Djuricic looks useful but as he plays for us he is never going to get anything from a referee, so needs to stay on his feet longer.

I thought we only really started to look like making something happen in the second half, once Tadic had come on and Fonte started to play more offensively.. sticking the odd ball into the box.

Djuricic looks useful but as he plays for us he is never going to get anything from a referee, so needs to stay on his feet longer.

I thought the first half was pretty good, 30 mins or so we dominated it. Played with zip, purpose, pace, tempo. I thought after that, Palace got more of a grip and we slowed down. 2nd half wasn't as dominant and was a bit edgy, but oddly we got the goal when we probably weren't playing at the best level.

Well done to all in Itchen North last night. Kept OWTS going for a long time rather than going silent/getting on the players backs.

Completely agree, and I'd like to think it made some difference. Drowned out the few moaners when things weren't going our way, didn't really let up when Palace were attacking, and most of the crowd found their way back to it after any super-exciting moments. Everyone was proper giving it too. No half measures, belting it out.

It went on so long that Palace fans felt forced two renditions of "you've only got one song". Weird, they were complaining about not being able to hear a f**king thing earlier. Football fans. Fickle.

Completely agree, and I'd like to think it made some difference. Drowned out the few moaners when things weren't going our way, didn't really let up when Palace were attacking, and most of the crowd found their way back to it after any super-exciting moments. Everyone was proper giving it too. No half measures, belting it out.

It went on so long that Palace fans felt forced two renditions of "you've only got one song". Weird, they were complaining about not being able to hear a f**king thing earlier. Football fans. Fickle.

Coming from them, the vast majority of their "songs" are just noise.