Michaill Antonio - CHD another JFU?

Maggie May

We could more use a striker that can put the ball in the net to be honest, thats our biggest issue, that said he is looking dangerous right now, but Id still rather a fully fit and on form Tadic, Manè or Rodriguez

Im glad for the lad though, always seemed to give his best

He's scored 6 in the league now. At Saints, only Long has scored more with 7.

• 2 weeks later...

This was at a period of time when Les Reed's voice was - yet to be heeded.... and Nicola Cortese kept a firm hand on the cheque book.

Antonio, though young and predictably inconsistant at times, did show real promise, but Cortese was more interested in passing money back to his Italian-Swiss contacts.

Instead we got Papa Waigo, Guly and Mayuka :scared:. Several millions spent on those loan / transfer fees, whilst only a fraction of that was spent on home-based players.

It could be argued that Papa Waigo and Guly helped DAJFU - at that level, but observing the progress of Antonio now, he has to be labelled as... " one that got away".

If Andy Carroll ever gets back to proper fitness, he and Antonio will be real force to reckon with in the Prem. next season.

Edited by david in sweden

This was at a period of time when Les Reed's voice was - yet to be heeded.... and Nicola Cortese kept a firm hand on the cheque book.

Antonio, though young and predictably inconsistant at times, did show real promise, but Cortese was more interested in passing money back to his Italian-Swiss contacts.

Instead we got Papa Waigo, Guly and Mayuka :scared:. Several millions spent on those loan / transfer fees, whilst only a fraction of that was spent on home-based players.

It could be argued that Papa Waigo and Guly helped DAJFU - at that level, but observing the progress of Antonio now, he has to be labelled as... " one that got away".

If Andy Carroll ever gets back to proper fitness, he and Antonio will be real force to reckon with in the Prem. next season.

I think Antonio and Papa Waigo were here at the same time.

My recollection of part of the issue over signing Antonio at the time was over Reading's increased valuation of him. Wasn't it suggested we had expected an 'otion to buy' at £250,000 at the end of the loan but having seen his progress with us and realising SAints had some money to spend, they hiked the asking price to £1m. NC would not allow them to take advantage of us, and at the time in L1 I think most people were supportive of that stance.

how's this going?

for someone who studies the game in such detail. I am surprised with this oversight!!

Already posted saying "actually he's improved".

Stronger all round and better touch than he had for us - he looks like a Prem player now.

Antonio's had a lot of football in between Reading wanting a premium for him and him being bought by West Ham, I don't think he'd of had that with us, certainly with Ox coming through, he's probably the reason we didn't pay an inflated fee.

My recollection of part of the issue over signing Antonio at the time was over Reading's increased valuation of him. Wasn't it suggested we had expected an 'otion to buy' at £250,000 at the end of the loan but having seen his progress with us and realising Saints had some money to spend, they hiked the asking price to £1m.

NC would not allow them to take advantage of us, and at the time in L1 ...I think most people were supportive of that stance.

Of course....we all know what a good judge of a footballer Nicola Cortese was....:lol: like Mayuka,Gaston, Forran and Osvaldo ......:blush:

....this is the same man who once asked Alan Pardew ....if he really wanted to spend £1 million on a 27-year old striker (Rickie Lambert by name).

Of course....we all know what a good judge of a footballer Nicola Cortese was....:lol: like Mayuka,Gaston, Forran and Osvaldo ......:blush:

....this is the same man who once asked Alan Pardew ....if he really wanted to spend £1 million on a 27-year old striker (Rickie Lambert by name).

also, fonte, Lambert, Puncheon, Hammond, Barnard, Sharp, Connolly, Harding, Richardson, Butterfield, Guly, Waigo, Cork, Rodriguez, Davis.

also, fonte, Lambert, Puncheon, Hammond, Barnard, Sharp, Connolly, Harding, Richardson, Butterfield, Guly, Waigo, Cork, Rodriguez, Davis.

...please don't try and tell me that Nicola Cortese's footballing knowledge and expertise :lol: was responsible for finding all those guys, too?...

in Pardew's interview (on Sky Sports) after his sacking 2010, he said he had to persuade Cortese (who thought 27 y.o. Lambert was too old..to sign for Saints).

Nearly all the players you named above (except maybe JayRod) were (all together) ....signed for less than the money we paid for either Gaston or Osvaldo.

Edited by david in sweden

Only the bad ones, eh?

Yes only the bad ones..and all from his Italian / Swiss connections. More money was wasted on them than the fees on the rest of the squad put together.

Not every player was a success on his watch, but those who didn't make it ...didn't cost £12 million-a-piece either. Those huge sums could have bought good Prem players.

...Do you still think it was " his wordly knowledge of football " that found all those other talents that got us back to the Prem.? ....I don't.

Comments in Cortese's " very rare interviews " showed that he knew a lot about finance and good administration, but very little about the English football scene.