Bill Ellerington RIP

Fitzhugh Fella

Bill Ellerington ex-Saint from 1945-56 died early today aged 91. Bill became Ted Bates's right hand man after hanging up his boots and stayed on the Saints backroom staff until 1980. I never saw Bill play but he was as elegant a full-back as you would ever wish to see my Dad tells me and he was good enough to win 2 England caps when with Saints even though we were a second tier team at the time. He was also good enough to keep Alf Ramsey out of the Saints and then the England team.

The son of another ex-Saint from WW1 days, Bill was Southampton born and played for Saints 237 times scoring 11 goals.

I met Bill many times in his Highfield Lane home and more latterly in his flat in Winn Road and a nicer more helpful man you could not wish to meet. He and his wife Ros - who survives him - loved talking about football and the players who wore the red and white in days gone by. He had a photographic memory and we could always rely on him to identify obscure reserve team players in old photos and if he couldn't then Ros would usually be able to sweep up.

He was on the Saints bench at Wembley in 1976 and can be seen in most of the photos of the players celebrating on the pitch. A real gentleman and keen student of the game, Bill lived and breathed Southampton and was undoubtedly one of the club's greatest ever servants.

Was Bill the last of the post war team? Incidentally he woiuld have played more for England if he hadn't got pneumonia (very serious in those days) and he was sidelined for so l;ong that Alf Ramsey took his place in the Saints side and then in the England side as well. Wasn't he the first of our great line of penalty kickers?

Sad news Duncan. My in laws met Bill and Ros on a cruise many years ago not knowing who Bill was until he explained he was on the staff at Southampton.

They remained friends for many years after.

Boyhood hero for my old man, will let him know. A few years back he bumped into him up the General, made his day, had a long chat. My Dad was recovering from an op, joked with him how he was acting like the kids do when current players visit the hospital at Christmas - gave him a real lift. I know we do All Saints Day but would hope a mention on Saturday, he's one the last (if not the last) links with the immediate post-war era.

I interviewed Bill many moons ago for Beautiful South, a lovely, lovely man. One of the best footballers i've interviewed...

On a lesser note the club forgot about Bill when it came to tickets for the last game at the Dell, we got him and Ros tickets for that game... Back in the dark ol' days...