Have the BBC got this wrong about Europa League qualification?

niceandfriendly

Wrong on nearly every count. England has 2 places in the Group Stage. Try reading this, particularly 4.3, 5 & 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_UEFA_Europa_League

Oh wow, that's a bigger change than what I had understood. Sorry guys!

I think I'm right in saying that the cup runner-ups don't get the spot though? So EL group spot 2 will be either a cup winner who is not in the CL/EL league spots or the team below 5th?

Edited by melmacian_saint

So amongst all this we still seem to have one remaining question with no definitive answer.

If the Cup final is Liverpool v Reading, and Liverpool win but have already qualified for the EL via the League does the additional EL place go to whoever finishes 7th in the PL or Reading?

So amongst all this we still seem to have one remaining question with no definitive answer.

If the Cup final is Liverpool v Reading, and Liverpool win but have already qualified for the EL via the League does the additional EL place go to whoever finishes 7th in the PL or Reading?

Reading failed to beat Blackpool last night, I don't think that's much of a concern :lol:

The same question would apply to Blackpool losing to Liverpool in the final. But this question is not unanswered. If the winner of the FA cup does not qualify for the champions league they qualify for the Europa League. The runner up never qualified under such circumstances. That rule has not changed.

I think that question has been answered pretty bloody definitively several times on this thread.

Yes, it is clear in the referenced article:

• When the domestic cup winners also qualify for the Europa League through league position, their place through the league position is vacated. As a result, the highest-placed team in the league which have not yet qualified for European competitions qualify for the Europa League, with the Europa League qualifiers which finish above them in the league moved up one "place" if possible.