Saints are right to follow 'showcase club' path to progress

Saint-Armstrong

I agree with one or two lines but my interpretation is very different. Yes we have a burgeoning worldwide reputation for identifying and developing talent and selling it on. That is a positive, not a negative. The better we become, the more attractive we are to the elite of European young talent. No matter what you would like to believe, that is where we are, always have been, always will be but if we are to attempt to challenge consistently, this way allows us to grow at a slower, more controlled rate with no boom and bust. In all our years as a club, we have only won the FA Cup once. Challenging for La Decima we are not.

Look at our business this summer so far. Clyne out, Cedric in plus enough money to pay his wages for the duration of the contract. Morgan to Man Utd, Jordy Clasie in, with enough to cover his wages and Juanmi's for their entire contracts. The risk is that the players we have signed are swiftly and effectively integrated and as successful as those they have replaced but all are current internationals, of the right age.

I'm not quite sure what you, and others are expecting to be honest? The players that have left have gone to more prestigious clubs, with bigger stadiums and has resulted in bigger bank accounts if nothing else. We are selling our players, for top money in most cases, to the traditional powerhouses of the English game over the last 40 plus years; not to our rivals from a resource perspective. From memory, management theory of Porter's Five Forces discusses the barriers to entry of the market place. In English football, it is the ability to consistently fund the buying and more importantly, the wages for the top players in the league. Unless we take on an entirely high risk approach of matching the wages on offer of the six clubs who finished above us last season, then we are always going to be losing our players to them, as much as that may frustrate and annoy us! European football, top half of the table finish and a good cup run and I would suggest that that is a pretty decent season.

Excellent, far too sensible and realistic for here ;)

It's when we're selling to clubs outside the top half dozen that we should be concerned.

I agree with one or two lines but my interpretation is very different. Yes we have a burgeoning worldwide reputation for identifying and developing talent and selling it on. That is a positive, not a negative. The better we become, the more attractive we are to the elite of European young talent. No matter what you would like to believe, that is where we are, always have been, always will be but if we are to attempt to challenge consistently, this way allows us to grow at a slower, more controlled rate with no boom and bust. In all our years as a club, we have only won the FA Cup once. Challenging for La Decima we are not.

Look at our business this summer so far. Clyne out, Cedric in plus enough money to pay his wages for the duration of the contract. Morgan to Man Utd, Jordy Clasie in, with enough to cover his wages and Juanmi's for their entire contracts. The risk is that the players we have signed are swiftly and effectively integrated and as successful as those they have replaced but all are current internationals, of the right age.

I'm not quite sure what you, and others are expecting to be honest? The players that have left have gone to more prestigious clubs, with bigger stadiums and has resulted in bigger bank accounts if nothing else. We are selling our players, for top money in most cases, to the traditional powerhouses of the English game over the last 40 plus years; not to our rivals from a resource perspective. From memory, management theory of Porter's Five Forces discusses the barriers to entry of the market place. In English football, it is the ability to consistently fund the buying and more importantly, the wages for the top players in the league. Unless we take on an entirely high risk approach of matching the wages on offer of the six clubs who finished above us last season, then we are always going to be losing our players to them, as much as that may frustrate and annoy us! European football, top half of the table finish and a good cup run and I would suggest that that is a pretty decent season.

Well said sir.

Well said, and as Les Reed pointed out in the interview (and Redsio has pointed out in his blogs) we cannot suddenly go throwing around big wages because of the constraints of the Financial Fair Play regulations.

Guys, lets not forget, that when St George isn't playing with himself whilst thinking of me in prison showers (it's an odd fantasy but it's his fantasy), he single handedly saved Saints last season by writing a strongly worded post on this here forum that stopped the club selling Morgan.

If he hadn't stopped thinking of my botty for those five minutes we could well be facing championship football this coming season.

Cheers George

(You're touching yourself again aren't you? Please don't PM me for photos again you old dog you.)

And bang on queue comes a post from the Coward with no balls fresh from his bedroom bunker......Yes peeps, the masterpiece you see above really does come from an 'ex' school teacher (can anyone guess why the ex?)....And Mr "Bedroom General"...please change that ridiculous selfie avatar of yours...The yellow streak is so blinding it would still be seen if you were on ignore

We now have a world wide reputation as a feeder club, a club that can't keep hold of it's best players, a club who's ambition is nothing more than to remain in the Premier league to make money from player sales....We were fortunate to secure Koeman's services when we did, and also fortunate he appears to be an honorable man and will probably see out his contract...But when he's gone what Coach with any self respect is going to want to come manage a store front? ex JC Penny or Macy's managers maybe?

We may appear to be getting away with it for now, but our newfound reputation is going to come back and bite us in the ass for sure.

Don't expect to be winning anything with a team full of shop mannequins....Winning takes some belief and ambition and that needs to start from the top.

Wow, what a load of crap.

World wide reputation in itself is an achievement, no matter what for. "Can't keep hold of its best players"? How would anyone know who our best players were if they weren't familiar with the team? And in being familiar with the team, they'll know our successes.

As for "who'll want to take over?", yeah, you're right, as we only managed to attract Ronald Koeman in the midst of our last bunch of sales. :rolleyes:

As for "winning takes some belief and ambition and that needs to start from the top", yeah, we did just have our best ever Premier League points total.

It appears you have fabricated us a reputation that doesn't really exist then.