Windows 10

SO16_Saint

Can't see a thread about it.....

Just in the process of upgrading now (am 3% through). Should've thought about this before, but I'm assuming that all files will be saved and transferred over. If not, I'm a dead man.

What are people's thoughts on Win10? For those who have had it a while?

Can't see a thread about it.....

Just in the process of upgrading now (am 3% through). Should've thought about this before, but I'm assuming that all files will be saved and transferred over. If not, I'm a dead man.

What are people's thoughts on Win10? For those who have had it a while?

I pre-registered for it ages ago but haven't received my download yet. Im in the "anything must be better than Windows 8.1 camp"

My "ready for download" prompt popped up last night so I clicked to upgrade.

Mamma Mia, it takes about 3 hours to install, so don't sit there watching it, even though that is what the screen message calls on you do to. Go watch a movie or a match on the TV! As Puckett suggests above, it turns the laptop off and back on a number of times, so wait until you get the home screen up. Then you have to configure it, but that is screen message driven too.

Is it any good? Don't know yet. I started the download/install at 9pm, so it didn't finish until midnight, and then I just switched off and went to the land of nod.

Mamma Mia, it takes about 3 hours to install, so don't sit there watching it,

Thanks for that! I got my notification today and was thinking about downloading now, but I need the pc for work this afternoon / evening. I thought it would be an hour tops.

Upgraded overnight and was pleased to have no 'starting-off' problems. My nightmare was that it wouldn't work at all and I would be using an old laptop to try to find out on Google how to remove it and go back to the old system and so I am pleased my worst fears have not been confirmed.

There are a few unfamiliar things but I daresay I will get used to them quickly enough. The first change I noticed was a new browser called Microsoft Edge. My Favorites from the previous Internet Explorer weren't visible but could be imported with just a click of the button. Sadly, they are imported in alphabetical order and not the order they were in before, but this is not a hardship, rather it gives me the opportunity to prune. I also see this new browser opens up PDF files and so maybe (not sure yet) Adobe Acrobat is no longer needed to read PDFs.

Some of the programmes I have used previously have been changed so that another programme (now called apps) opens the file (for example an app called Photos now opens up jpeg files rather than Windows Photo Viewer) and this makes printing more of a chore and so I have switched back to what I had before.

I have noticed on irritation ... in the old Microsoft 8 if I typed in any word on the main screen (not the Desktop screen), it acted as a search engine for my computer, which was very handy. With the new Microsoft 10 although there appears to be a similar facility, it doesn't seem to be as thorough ... maybe I just need a bit more time to get used to it.

Overall my first impressions are that it is good and all is well.

And as an aside, I was given an iPad last month and it is superb.

Why wait for the pop up to tell you to download Windows 10? You can download it here - just need to know if you want 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 10

(Start then right mouse click "Computer" and choose properties and it'll tell you what version of Windows 7 you have).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've installed it on three machines at home (two laptops and one games PC) and all are working just fine.

I have a problem in that I have Windows 8. My system keeps reminding me to update with Windows 8.1. My system check says everything compatible including my apps. Downloads ok and then just as the computer (Laptop) restarts it then restores Windows 8 and says it cannot complete at this time.

Tried it 4 times over he last few months and even turned off my virus protection in case that was blocking (although Kaspersky is compatible)

As a result I cannot upgrade to Windows 10!!

Any ideas

Have you d/l'd Windows 10 yet (just posted the manual download). It'll tell you what it has to uninstall to be able to successfully upgrade. My Antivirus system I had to uninstall before I could upgrade to Windows 10. Try to upgrade now to Windows 10.

The problem is that you cannot upgrade to windows 10 until you have installed all updates. Windows 8.1 is an update and as I have said it is that which is the problem.

Assuming you have a valid Windows 8 licence key... download the Windows 10 version from above, it'll ask you if you want to upgrade or burn a DVD / USB Boot key. Choose the latter, then backup all your docs etc. before booting the CD / USB drive and installing a completely new version of Windows 10.

However, make sure you save all your pics / docs and pron elsewhere before the install as it'll wipe everything.

I see most are upgrading from 8 to 10, and I can understand why.

Any reason to upgrade from 7?

Only if you really want Cortana.

I'm waiting at least 6 months before even considering this upgrade, as with all Micro$oft systems I expect it will get a hefty service pack in a couple of months. ( I get a tad annoyed at the Micro$oft TV ad implying that IT security is a thing we don't need to worry about any more because Windows 10 is the answer to all of mankind's woes ).