Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

You will pay this sort of money for an establish P/L player but we did not pay anything like this for Clyne but helped to develop him into a top class RB and an International. Hopefuly we can do the same with Matt Targett and Cedric. Not so sure about Maya though.

Clyne was out of contract at palarse wasn't he though?...we dobbed them a little bit to avoid a lots of bollorks with a tribunal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/18890873

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think it was deliberate tactic by Everton to put power and pace on our flank, i.e. targetting those areas.

Quite.

And this is something that will be ruthlessly exploited by every team in the Premiership. The position in football that presents the clearest 1-on-1 dynamic is full-back vs winger.

If you're a full-back and your opponent can do you for both pace and strength, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference how good your positional play or tackling is; they'll kick it 10-15 yards into the space behind you, run past you whilst overtaking/firmly shouldering you aside, and you'll be left huffing, puffing and chasing after them as the ball is whipped across the face of your goal.*

This has happened for between 2-4 of the five goals we've conceded in two matches.**

*Watch Ronaldo when he's really got a full-back on toast, you will not see him (probably the most dexterous and skillful winger in the game) do a single step-over unless he has to.

**Wijnaldum + Lukaku's 1st goals being clear and obvious examples, with Cisse and Barkley's goals not being exact examples, but nevertheless the ball coming from out wide with our weak full-backs being exploited.

I'm very worried and I think, justifiably so.

Quite.

And this is something that will be ruthlessly exploited by every team in the Premiership. The position in football that presents the clearest 1-on-1 dynamic is full-back vs winger.

If you're a full-back and your opponent can do you for both pace and strength, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference how good your positional play or tackling is; they'll kick it 10-15 yards into the space behind you, run past you whilst overtaking/firmly shouldering you aside, and you'll be left huffing, puffing and chasing after them as the ball is whipped across the face of your goal.*

This has happened for between 2-4 of the five goals we've conceded in two matches.**

*Watch Ronaldo when he's really got a full-back on toast, you will not see him (probably the most dexterous and skillful winger in the game) do a single step-over unless he has to.

**Wijnaldum + Lukaku's 1st goals being clear and obvious examples, with Cisse and Barkley's goals not being exact examples, but nevertheless the ball coming from out wide with our weak full-backs being exploited.

I'm very worried and I think, justifiably so.

I'm completely with you Stan. If you're beaten for pace then all you can do is stand back a few yards.

Exactly. Everton are nothing special. If they can inflict that much damage then imagine what a decent team would do!

That's where you're worrying about nothing...Everton are a good side jam packed with good players who have off days. When they all turn up they're up there with the best. Few sides in the PL have as many England internationals as they.

Didn't think Maya was too bad on Saturday myself, probably better than Fonte.

Caught in possession for their second goal on the halfway line leaving us completely open, outpaced throughout to a ridiculous degree by Lukaku which isn't so much of an issue if positioning isn't poor in the first place and you're not constantly recovering, plus ran straight past the ball on the halfway line creating the opportunity for the near-chance when he made a last-ditch slide tackle from behind to get it back to Stekelenburg.

There was some collective "drawn to the ball" responsibility for the 3rd goal but that was about the only time I'd say Fonte was remotely culpable.

Over-powering in a 50/50 battle is fine.

However, Lukaku picked the ball up in Everton's left-back position, took a moment to control the ball, and despite Cedric charging into him with all his momentum, he couldn't even slightly inconvenience him. I'm not asking for our full-backs to be able to shoulder a target-man to the floor here.

The point about that is no-one should be bothered that he can't muscle Lukaku off the ball, the problem is him having to chase back after him - either because his positioning was poor, or, as in this case, because much of his job is to overlap and get crosses into the box so he's up the field - or because he's providing a short option pass at a corner.

The fact that Targett, the opposite full back, was the covering defender and neither of the centre backs tells you a lot about the shape of our team at that specific moment.