Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

And just so I'm not just picking on Tadic, Long was equally ineffective. I'd drop both of them.

Tadic really shouldn't be starting for us. He's been awful in most games since the Christmas period last season. I feel stupid for even suggesting he was an upgrade on Lallana after the first half of last season.

Some posters on here were quick to say Cedric was an upgrade on Clyne after a couple of pre-season performances but after seeing him in a couple of PL games, he is nowhere near as good as Clyne. BUT, Clyne wasn't the best when we signed him. He was very poor defensively but learnt from it and learnt quickly. Hopefully Cedric can do the same as his attacking play looks OK.

Tadic really shouldn't be starting for us. He's been awful in most games since the Christmas period last season. I feel stupid for even suggesting he was an upgrade on Lallana after the first half of last season.

Some posters on here were quick to say Cedric was an upgrade on Clyne after a couple of pre-season performances but after seeing him in a couple of PL games, he is nowhere near as good as Clyne. BUT, Clyne wasn't the best when we signed him. He was very poor defensively but learnt from it and learnt quickly. Hopefully Cedric can do the same as his attacking play looks OK.

Interesting interview with Tadic in the match day programme yesterday. Did you know he played most of last season with a groin injury playing on despite the pain until Koeman had to force him to rest? According to the article he is the first player on the training ground and the last one off it at most training sessions. He even got in to trouble with Koeman last season when he turned up at Staplewood to train on his own on a players day off. Against Newcastle, according to some stats I saw, he committed and won more tackles than any other player on either team as well as providing another assisst.

People complain we don't have creative players in the team then moan when we do because those players don't run around like headless chickens.

Interesting interview with Tadic in the match day programme yesterday. Did you know he played most of last season with a groin injury playing on despite the pain until Koeman had to force him to rest? According to the article he is the first player on the training ground and the last one off it at most training sessions. He even got in to trouble with Koeman last season when he turned up at Staplewood to train on his own on a players day off. Against Newcastle, according to some stats I saw, he committed and won more tackles than any other player on either team as well as providing another assisst.

People complain we don't have creative players in the team then moan when we do because those players don't run around like headless chickens.

Maybe if we stopped him playing on the right and moved him to his natural side. But then the obsession of the moment is to play players wide on their less natural side. That will disappear in time too. We get nothing much off him on the right because he is so left footed.

Maybe if we stopped him playing on the right and moved him to his natural side. But then the obsession of the moment is to play players wide on their less natural side. That will disappear in time too. We get nothing much off him on the right because he is so left footed.

Completely agree. He doesn't like shooting from distance so I don't see why we play him there. Play him on the left or centrally now that he's fully fit and he could be a great player for us, as he showed at the start of last season

His poor form predated his injury - anyway let's see how he does this season. He's fully fit and has a season of experience under his belt, so should be able to kick on.

Quite a few below par performances and as many have said the starting lineup seemed too attacking. If Morgan were playing alongside VW it would have been a different game. I did like Romeu when he came on. Fine lines in my view. If Mane had scored at 0-0 we could have won. Seemed a lack of understanding up front today. I am sure it will come. Jrod still to start firing on all four. Hate losing but heh. It's only one football match. Definitely not a 3-0 though..

There was no way our pitiful defense and midfield was ever going to stop Everton from running riot .

Newcastle was the same .

We are not the top 6 team that we were .

Targettt is aptly named. People are being real dicks about it. He has played very well against arsenal and Chelsea ffs. No coincidence it was in a settled side, young players need help and patience from fans. More to the point, he's not been much worse than anyone else. With a better CB and a more solid midfield in front I'm sure he'll do fine. He needs to grow a bit stronger but he's good on the ball and has a lot of potential. If Toby and Morgan were here we'd be doing better and no one would be moaning about targettt. That's not his fault.

Its annoying we've lost shaw, Toby, lovren and clyne, that's a good and fast defence, but there's no point moaning, we just don't have the money other clubs do. We've been up 3 years, progress is slow on that front.

Looking at the goals we've conceded so far I'm not sure Toby (or Morgan) would be making a lot of difference a lot of these goals so far this season are coming from counter attacks when all our CB are committed up field. Leaving Cedric and Targett out numbered and out muscled (and the obvious scapegoats). Considering how crap our corners are we might as well leave one of CB back to help stop rapid counter attacks from our own set pieces.

Talking of set pieces how come we don't leave someone (Mane seems the obvious choice) up field when we defend corners? Seems like when ever we clear our lines we just give the ball back to the opposition. Everton left Kone or Lukaku up field at corners to help with a rapid counter attacks when they cleared the ball.

Looking at the goals we've conceded so far I'm not sure Toby (or Morgan) would be making a lot of difference a lot of these goals so far this season are coming from counter attacks when all our CB are committed up field. Leaving Cedric and Targett out numbered and out muscled (and the obvious scapegoats). Considering how crap our corners are we might as well leave one of CB back to help stop rapid counter attacks from our own set pieces.

Talking of set pieces how come we don't leave someone (Mane seems the obvious choice) up field when we defend corners? Seems like when ever we clear our lines we just give the ball back to the opposition. Everton left Kone or Lukaku up field at corners to help with a rapid counter attacks when they cleared the ball.

We certainly leave our soft belly exposed to counterpunches but what doesn't help is losing possession cheaply. Targett's bad pass for Newcastle's second and Maya getting his pocket picked yesterday were easily avoidable. On top of that we are not set up properly in case we do lose the ball and seem to get surprised by the counter-attack.

Thing that ****ed me off most all march was the fat bastard who sat next to me. His voluminous mud flaps occupied his own seat and 50% of mine. Ate the whole cocking time as well. 30+ quid for half a seat is grim

Sorry mate, I admit I need to go on an intense diet and exercise regime. I'll not be returning to SMS until I have so feel free to park one buttock on my seat until I do.

Noticed Toby gave away a stupid pen yesterday that cost Spurs the win, wonder if their fans are going ape sh*t over that one mistake and writing him off like some here seem to be doing to a few our signings over a few below par performances?

Two games in, we should have won against an improved Newcastle team away and we've lost to perfect away counter game by Everton and people react like this?

It was 3 counters, because we had to chase the game, they had a £27 million striker who finally had a decent game and they have a centre-back Chelsea are offering £25 million for who defended well, yet we take the lead in that game, which we had chances to do and I'm pretty sure we would have gone on to win it.

Cut out the silly mistakes on the counter, improve our set piece delivery (Clasie BTW took all set pieces for Feyenoord) and that's most of the goals we have conceded gone.

Remember we are still due to sign another centre-back, we are missing our first choice keeper, our main left back from last year, our replacement DM, whilst the other one had only just joined plus it will be a good 5-6 games before Jay Rod will be match sharp.

Said this earlier in this thread but we were spoilt to get such a good start last season, usually new players take time to bed in, let's at least give them that chance eh? Clasie I think will really make us tick from what I've seen of him plus will increase the quality of our dead ball delivery. Cedric will improve, a new centre-back partner will help Fonte and Bertrand was on of the best left backs in the country last year. Plus a match sharp Jay Rod is like a £30 million signing.

Give it time, I full expect us to be a bit up and down over these first couple of months but I reckon we will come good after that.

Get the cheque book out now! another centre back, def mid and a decent winger go go go oh and decent cover for left back :)

We already signed the defensive midfielder, were you not watching the game yesterday (second half). No way will we sign a left back, we have two plus Martina as cover. Get real people, other than a CB (VvD) it is quite likely that we have our squad, nothing too wrong when they are fully fit, trouble is that is going to be a few weeks.

I would like to see another forward midfield, but I think we already have that covered with Davis and Clasie and I suppose JWP so don't expect one. I would also like to see another keeper, but its looking unlikely, so perhaps the situation is not as bleak as it may appear, perhaps Forster will be back sooner rather than later.

We already signed the defensive midfielder, were you not watching the game yesterday (second half). No way will we sign a left back, we have two plus Martina as cover. Get real people, other than a CB (VvD) it is quite likely that we have our squad, nothing too wrong when they are fully fit, trouble is that is going to be a few weeks.

I would like to see another forward midfield, but I think we already have that covered with Davis and Clasie and I suppose JWP so don't expect one. I would also like to see another keeper, but its looking unlikely, so perhaps the situation is not as bleak as it may appear, perhaps Forster will be back sooner rather than later.

If we get through to the group stages of the EL. We will hardly ever have a "fully fit" match day squad

I think we will have a season like Everton last year.

Post match 'rage' thread? Bit melodramatic isn't it?

Everton are a good team that IMO underperformed last season, I'm not completely unsurprised that they turned us over. We've lost some key players and it may take a while for things to bed down but we'll get there.

Last season was a brilliant one, I hope you savoured every moment of it because in the history of SFC seasons like that have been the exception rather than the rule.

It's not 'our right' to finish 7th, it's a tough league and teams like Everton are no mugs.

And the point is - what precisely? We looked poor yesterday - slow and second to the ball with poor passing and dreadful defending.

Won't matter who we put on the field in the long run...As soon as it sinks in with players that the only remaining ambition within the product is to fill big Kat's purse as much and as fast as possible, they drop their game and plan their exit strategy...just like all those before them.

0-3 to big Kats personal bean counters.

What a stupid bloody comment.

Noticed Toby gave away a stupid pen yesterday that cost Spurs the win, wonder if their fans are going ape sh*t over that one mistake and writing him off like some here seem to be doing to a few our signings over a few below par performances?

Two games in, we should have won against an improved Newcastle team away and we've lost to perfect away counter game by Everton and people react like this?

It was 3 counters, because we had to chase the game, they had a £27 million striker who finally had a decent game and they have a centre-back Chelsea are offering £25 million for who defended well, yet we take the lead in that game, which we had chances to do and I'm pretty sure we would have gone on to win it.

Cut out the silly mistakes on the counter, improve our set piece delivery (Clasie BTW took all set pieces for Feyenoord) and that's most of the goals we have conceded gone.

Remember we are still due to sign another centre-back, we are missing our first choice keeper, our main left back from last year, our replacement DM, whilst the other one had only just joined plus it will be a good 5-6 games before Jay Rod will be match sharp.

Said this earlier in this thread but we were spoilt to get such a good start last season, usually new players take time to bed in, let's at least give them that chance eh? Clasie I think will really make us tick from what I've seen of him plus will increase the quality of our dead ball delivery. Cedric will improve, a new centre-back partner will help Fonte and Bertrand was on of the best left backs in the country last year. Plus a match sharp Jay Rod is like a £30 million signing.

Give it time, I full expect us to be a bit up and down over these first couple of months but I reckon we will come good after that.

Thanks. I feel better after reading that!

Targettt is aptly named. People are being real dicks about it. He has played very well against arsenal and Chelsea ffs. No coincidence it was in a settled side, young players need help and patience from fans. More to the point, he's not been much worse than anyone else. With a better CB and a more solid midfield in front I'm sure he'll do fine. He needs to grow a bit stronger but he's good on the ball and has a lot of potential. If Toby and Morgan were here we'd be doing better and no one would be moaning about targettt. That's not his fault.

Its annoying we've lost shaw, Toby, lovren and clyne, that's a good and fast defence, but there's no point moaning, we just don't have the money other clubs do. We've been up 3 years, progress is slow on that front.

A considered post and speaks sense. Not much chance of expecting patience though from some of the ****-headed fannies on here who expect every young player to be perfect from day 1. It happens all the time when we introduce promising youngsters into the team. Morgan was just one example who was heavily slated by many way back when he first played in the first team as a raw, but promising, teenager.

I know its hard to get away with pointing out where Saints might be going wrong on this forum without being called a "bed wetter" BUT...

Last season we did a fantastic job by regrouping after selling our top players. But last season we sold about £80 million of players bought about £55 million of talent in over the summer (not including successful loans- the impact Toby made was worth additional millions I think).

This summer we have lost Clyne (12.5mill) Morgan (25 mill) and Toby who should have been sewn up as a Saints player that we lost with a market value of 11.5 million. If it werent for Clyne being on a 1 year contract and the Toby deal totally messed up I think those players could have gone for far more... but i'll use conservative figures.

Long story short we have lost £50 million of strength since last season and so far only spent about £15 million. So both comparing this seasons squad to last season on personnel AND last seasons transfer business to this seasons we are severely off the pace. And thats just to stay in the same place as place year. You need to constantly be improving in this league.

Im under no illusion we are not a spend big every summer club. But I don't care what anyone says the correlation between money spent and success in the league is indisputable.

So far we seem to have lost 3 world class players including one of the best holding midfielders in the world and the best English right back. And replaced them with 5 squad players. Hopefully Clasie proves to be more than a squad player but there is no doubt Caulker is not a Toby replacement and I've yet to see evidence Cedric is keeping our defence at the level of last year.

We have 2 weeks left of the transfer window but in my opinion we need some serious spending to even try and maintain last years success let alone progress.

Let the attacks commence...

I know its hard to get away with pointing out where Saints might be going wrong on this forum without being called a "bed wetter" BUT...

Last season we did a fantastic job by regrouping after selling our top players. But last season we sold about £80 million of players bought about £55 million of talent in over the summer (not including successful loans- the impact Toby made was worth additional millions I think).

This summer we have lost Clyne (12.5mill) Morgan (25 mill) and Toby who should have been sewn up as a Saints player that we lost with a market value of 11.5 million. If it werent for Clyne being on a 1 year contract and the Toby deal totally messed up I think those players could have gone for far more... but i'll use conservative figures.

Long story short we have lost £50 million of strength since last season and so far only spent about £15 million. So both comparing this seasons squad to last season on personnel AND last seasons transfer business to this seasons we are severely off the pace. And thats just to stay in the same place as place year. You need to constantly be improving in this league.

Im under no illusion we are not a spend big every summer club. But I don't care what anyone says the correlation between money spent and success in the league is indisputable.

So far we seem to have lost 3 world class players including one of the best holding midfielders in the world and the best English right back. And replaced them with 5 squad players. Hopefully Clasie proves to be more than a squad player but there is no doubt Caulker is not a Toby replacement and I've yet to see evidence Cedric is keeping our defence at the level of last year.

We have 2 weeks left of the transfer window but in my opinion we need some serious spending to even try and maintain last years success let alone progress.

Didn't you say all of this yesterday?

Still clueless, especially about Clyne and Toby. Well done though.

If you're going to include Toby's value in the out, you should include Rodriguez's in the in. That makes it £50m out £35m in.

Edit: forgot Romeu, so that's £40m in.

Absolute nail on head.

You're destined to be disappointed I'm afraid. The club have made it crystal clear in recent times that we will never look to 'buy success'. Our strategy is to get as many academy players involved in the 1st team squad as possible, supplemented with young players with potential, or a career that needs reigniting, from elsewhere. Our strategy is fixed. Some seasons we'll finish 7th, some seasons lower than that and sometimes maybe, just maybe, higher. But the one constant is our player and management recruitment strategy. Southampton isn't the club to support if you want a club to chase success with a blank chequebook in one hand. It ain't gonna happen.

Edited by trousers

Before you go on the defensive and state how it's your opinion etc, then I will say that the above is a load of inaccurate trash. Before posting a view that you are 'so sure of' then get the facts right. You haven't got an argument there at all.

So Cedric, Juanmi, Rodriguez, Clasie, Caulker, Romeu and Stekelenburg have a combined market value of £15m do they Rog?

Cedric 4.7

Juanmi 5

Martina 1

Clasie 8

Romeu 5

Ok so around 24. Still not even half what we have lost in quality players. Point still stands

Why are you such a sarcastic pr*ck?

And maybe offer up some reasons where I am wrong instead of "clueless.. wrong.."

Well done though.. the voice of mediocrity is always the loudest

I'd start with your maths and quickly move on to the fact you called Clyne "World class".

Cedric 4.7

Juanmi 5

Martina 1

Clasie 8

Romeu 5

Ok so around 24. Still not even half what we have lost in quality players. Point still stands

What about Rodriguez? If you're going to include Toby in the value lost you have to include him in the value gained. And Caulker and Stekelenburg

Didn't you say all of this yesterday?

Still clueless, especially about Clyne and Toby. Well done though.

Hardly clueless ...got most of it spot on really! Are we being to prudent in our business of buying players? Time will tell I suppose but hopefully we will bring in another player or two .

Squad is plenty good enough to have a good season, especially with the CB signing we know will happen and return of Bertrand and Clasie.

Just need to firstly have a better shape than Saturday and secondly, have individuals play better - which we know they can.

Too soon for mass panic.

As always you do have a point Adrian but bear in mind what you've said there could easily be flipped round as 'once Targett isn't being babysat, doesn't have Champions League-level players around him and is actually charged with real responsibility he struggles hugely'.

Being honest, I'm very concerned about the lad. You can learn positional sense and even a fair old degree of technical ability but physical attributes are a lot, lot tougher to really change by a huge degree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuBs_EPS2A.

He looks simply too slow and too weak, especially compared to the strong, stock and yet inexplicably fast freaks of nature that we were spoiled with in Clyne/Shaw/Bertrand.

Omg the oldest trick in the book! Be a teachers pet and get picked. I am not in the least surprised to learn this as Tadic is just nowhere near good enough for us and yet continues to get picked!!!!

It's like playing with 10 men he has been woeful since Christmas last season...

What about Rodriguez? If you're going to include Toby in the value lost you have to include him in the value gained. And Caulker and Stekelenburg

You simply can't value Jayrod as high as prior to his injury. There are more players who have never really recovered than returned to full fitness, let alone regain the same level.

You're destined to be disappointed I'm afraid. The club have made it crystal clear in recent times that we will never look to 'buy success'. Our strategy is to get as many academy players involved in the 1st team squad as possible, supplemented with young players with potential, or a career that needs reigniting, from elsewhere. Our strategy is fixed. Some seasons we'll finish 7th, some seasons lower than that and sometimes maybe, just maybe, higher. But the one constant is our player and management recruitment strategy. Southampton isn't the club to support if you want a club to chase success with a blank chequebook in one hand. It ain't gonna happen.

59341136.jpg

:nod:

With all this post-defeat hysteria I'm surprised nobody has called for Jeremy Corbyn to take over as manager.

Yep first thing he is going to do is bring the club under fan control Alpine will be the new chairman supported by various bed wetters with carte blanche to spend this club to success while lowering the prices of everything at the club to make it better for the common man.....