Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

Name one that finished 7th after a firesale:rolleyes:

Youre absolutely right, last season was a huge success. BUT i think there are some ways things are different this season.

Last season we made HUGE profits on transfers. We sold youth development players for mega money and turned a big profit on the resale players and we spent 50 odd million strengthening the squad. Any team in the league that spends 50 million is going to have a bit of quality.

This season we lost our best CB for nothing due to a clear balls up with the loan deal. Sold Clyne well under his true value with the 1 yr contract situation. Morgan still arguably went for less than his value, i think he is one of the best holding midfielders in the world and went to one of the richest teams in the world.

Long and short of it is we have only spent about 16 mill this season. That is not a lot of money. This league is almost entirely dictated by the amount of money spent.. sad but true. For us to repeat the feat of last season we are going to need to spend a hell of a lot more. (and this is coming from someone that fully believes in the scouting system of southampton and marquee signing usually backfire with us)

Targett should have been subbed in the first half when he bottled a straight 50-50.

What cobblers.

He was on a yellow after being the only defender to put in a challenge on Lukaku who was rampaging down our RIGHT, the ref had already set his stall out with regard to clipping dirty Saints wings, anyone who was at the ground watching the game could see when he flashed his second yellow for very little, Saints players became visibly nervous to tackle Everton (Red card first half for him would have been a street party outside some posters houses on here). For their break away goal from our corner he was the only one back with 3 Everton players to choose from, everyone else was ambling back from a carp corner all of a sudden everyone realises too late that Targett is in trouble on his own, just like last week he was left exposed by team mates. And more than once he was left exposed.

Frustrating game, first half we just seem a bit laissez faire and slow, when we did put our foot on the gas Everton struggled.

Romeu straight out of the box looked good and looked like he had been with us longer than since Wednesday, always looking at the whole pitch and Saints players for a pass.

Everton just had one of those days where the ball did everything they wanted it to do and we just weren't at the races across the whole field.

Ref was shabby too 4 mins injury time with 5 subs 1 goal Cedric being taped up three of theirs getting lengthy treatment and ambling...............although if he added 30 minutes we weren't going to score.

Still same points tally as last season at this point.

FFS , we have some right twts as supporters , both here and at the game . Every single premier league side will have a bad day at the office somewhen , particularly in August . It's an unforgiving league and you pay the price for poor performances . Today was poor once we went 1-0 down , but there's been a total over reaction on here and by some coming out the ground .

Target is a teenager , with a teenagers body , we were spoilt with shaw. , who was a man at that age . What do people expect , Everton have physical players that bully grown men , let alone a young kid . Give the kid a break FFS .

Looked better second half with the 2 strong holding players , get a centre half in to replace maya and I'd like to see juanmi given a run instead if Tadic or Long . We're not a million miles away , people need to calm down .

Now that's clearly not true remember last season when we won every game playing brilliant football never had an off day ever .I remember how we slaughtered villa away, remember the away game at Burnley hammered them completely and how we outclassed Man city at home. Nope never had an off day last season ever..... no sir never.

History tells you you don't stand still let alone improve selling that amount of good players. I hope I'm wrong but I think we got a bit lucky last summer with players we brought in. On the good side,betrand will improve us,hope we finally sign a cb that will and Romeo and classie will. J rod will improve too. Very concerned by the size of Cedric tho. I'm entitled to my opinion like you. I don't feel we have pushed on. I will still support team through thick and thin every game but be realistic.

How well do you think we would have done if we had forced all those want away players to stay against their will last season?

What was different last year when we were up for corners, Clyne and Bertrand were covering, now it is Soares and Targett, neither blessed with pace. Also their starting positions were poor, Soares was in front of Lukaku with only Targett behind. It needed Soares behind Lukaku with Targett on the cover. Soares fouls Lukaku to stop him, then no problem as not the last defender. I also thought we should have kept VW back outside the area with Tadic.

Youre absolutely right, last season was a huge success. BUT i think there are some ways things are different this season.

Last season we made HUGE profits on transfers. We sold youth development players for mega money and turned a big profit on the resale players and we spent 50 odd million strengthening the squad. Any team in the league that spends 50 million is going to have a bit of quality.

This season we lost our best CB for nothing due to a clear balls up with the loan deal. Sold Clyne well under his true value with the 1 yr contract situation. Morgan still arguably went for less than his value, i think he is one of the best holding midfielders in the world and went to one of the richest teams in the world.

Long and short of it is we have only spent about 16 mill this season. That is not a lot of money. This league is almost entirely dictated by the amount of money spent.. sad but true. For us to repeat the feat of last season we are going to need to spend a hell of a lot more. (and this is coming from someone that fully believes in the scouting system of southampton and marquee signing usually backfire with us)

Every word of your paragraph on the departures is total drivel. Getting pretty sick of dinlows on this forum who think we can just force another club's player to sign for us.

Secondly the window has not closed yet. This time last season we had not signed Toby or Mane and they did quite well last year, didn't they?

What was different last year when we were up for corners, Clyne and Bertrand were covering, now it is Soares and Targett, neither blessed with pace. Also their starting positions were poor, Soares was in front of Lukaku with only Targett behind. It needed Soares behind Lukaku with Targett on the cover. Soares fouls Lukaku to stop him, then no problem as not the last defender. I also thought we should have kept VW back outside the area with Tadic.

But as we had already seen Lukaku was way too fast and powerful for Soares anyway which is why Targett had to come across and foul him on the edge of the box..

FFS , we have some right twts as supporters , both here and at the game . Every single premier league side will have a bad day at the office somewhen , particularly in August . It's an unforgiving league and you pay the price for poor performances . Today was poor once we went 1-0 down , but there's been a total over reaction on here and by some coming out the ground .

Target is a teenager , with a teenagers body , we were spoilt with shaw. , who was a man at that age . What do people expect , Everton have physical players that bully grown men , let alone a young kid . Give the kid a break FFS .

Looked better second half with the 2 strong holding players , get a centre half in to replace maya and I'd like to see juanmi given a run instead if Tadic or Long . We're not a million miles away , people need to calm down .

This

What cobblers.

He was on a yellow after being the only defender to put in a challenge on Lukaku who was rampaging down our RIGHT, the ref had already set his stall out with regard to clipping dirty Saints wings, anyone who was at the ground watching the game could see when he flashed his second yellow for very little, Saints players became visibly nervous to tackle Everton (Red card first half for him would have been a street party outside some posters houses on here). For their break away goal from our corner he was the only one back with 3 Everton players to choose from, everyone else was ambling back from a carp corner all of a sudden everyone realises too late that Targett is in trouble on his own, just like last week he was left exposed by team mates. And more than once he was left exposed.

Frustrating game, first half we just seem a bit laissez faire and slow, when we did put our foot on the gas Everton struggled.

Romeu straight out of the box looked good and looked like he had been with us longer than since Wednesday, always looking at the whole pitch and Saints players for a pass.

Everton just had one of those days where the ball did everything they wanted it to do and we just weren't at the races across the whole field.

Ref was shabby too 4 mins injury time with 5 subs 1 goal Cedric being taped up three of theirs getting lengthy treatment and ambling...............although if he added 30 minutes we weren't going to score.

Still same points tally as last season at this point.

Targett bottled a 50/50 first half on the halfway line. Absolutely unforgiveable for a full-back in my book.

There was an over-reliance on just pumping the ball up into Pelle, or constantly sending in crosses when other options were available. I think when we have a full strength team out and given a chance to gel we should show a little more creativity.

This team is better than just top half:

----------------------Stekelenberg--------------------------

Cedric-----Fonte----------------VVD----------Bertrand

--------------Wanyama--------Romeu-------------------

--------------------------Clasie----------------------------

Mane---------------------------------------JRod/Tadic/Juanmi/Long

-----------------------Pelle--------------------------------

Sign VVD and we have a great first 11. Chins up, only the second game. Lots to look forward to and get excited this season. However, Long, Davis and Targett had horrible games today and should not play on Thursday.

Sun's out, half bottle of wine in me so far and the world has a rosier complexion. We March On!

Every word of your paragraph on the departures is total drivel. Getting pretty sick of dinlows on this forum who think we can just force another club's player to sign for us.

Secondly the window has not closed yet. This time last season we had not signed Toby or Mane and they did quite well last year, didn't they?

That is a great point. Hoping for 2 quality players before the window shuts.

Indeed.

As has been mentioned above only second game and how many of us realistically expected the same return as last year

On the bright side we have the same amount of points this year, after two games, as last.

Downside is that we have rarely been dominated by a team at home as we were today.

Everton were bigger, faster and stronger than us and were well deserved winners.

The next few League games will be important as we need to rack up some points to ensure we don't get dragged into the drop zone at an early stage.

No need to press the panic button yet was that was as dire a performance as I can remember in recent times.

Let's hope it is a one off!!

How well do you think we would have done if we had forced all those want away players to stay against their will last season?

Nobody seemed in a hurry to leave before cortese left as nasty as he was. In fact they were all signing contracts for long term. It was obvious from what they all said that there was a big change in strategy after he left. I can't blame katrina it's her money after all but it's not a surprise we may not continue to improve.

Nobody seemed in a hurry to leave before cortese left as nasty as he was. In fact they were all signing contracts for long term. It was obvious from what they all said that there was a big change in strategy after he left. I can't blame katrina it's her money after all but it's not a surprise we may not continue to improve.

So, you really are that dumb.

Hilarious comment...we finishes 7th last year but got it all wrong

We finished 7th cos our recruitment got it dead right last summer. We did amazing at recruiting players last summer. A carlsberg of a summer. Very rare a club does that well with it and if course, we've lost our head of recruitment since.

Anyway, this will make you happy, everything is perfect we should have sold everyone and the players we have brought in our much better And today we were awesome.

What's with the complaints of our transfer activity all of a sudden? In the 2 prem games so far the only ones to have played a full game are Stekelenburg and now Cedric and he was only subbed in the first game because he was a red card risk. Martina and Romeu have only had a half each and Romeu has only been here a few days.

Clasie hasn't played, neither has Juanmi nor Caulker and we know we are trying to get another starting CB in. We are currently starting with several players who we were hoping would only be backups and the players who were with us last year are generally under performing as well. A full strength team should hopefully look much more solid especially if Koeman sets them out properly unlike he has done the past 2 games.

Trying to suggest that all these new players aren't up to it when the majority of them haven't even played a full league game with us is ridiculous.

We finished 7th cos our recruitment got it dead right last summer. We did amazing at recruiting players last summer.

How do you know we haven't got it dead right this summer? After all, we have the same number of points as we had this time last year.

FWIW I think we have a better squad, and possibly a better first choice starting line up (assuming the arrival of a quality CB), with more tactical options, than we had this time last year.

And which part is total drivel? Getting pretty sick of people on this forum with no ambition that think "oh well, enjoy the ride, good old Saints remember the days back at the The Dell blah blah" where is the fight to push on? Nobody said anything about "forcing" players to sign for us. But as we have found out money talks. If you want a good player you have to pay for a good player.

We finished 7th last season, we had every pundit in the country swallowing their pride and saying "you know what, Saints have shocked us all, what a fantastic set up" our stock has never been higher in the eyes of the footballing world, this is the time to leverage all that. There is no reason at all why quality players in the 8-10 million pound bracket shouldn't want to come to us.

You are right, the window hasnt closed yet... although RK himself has said all he wants is another CB and he is happy with the squad. If the fringe players we bought in are the ones that are going to take us to the next level them someone has messed up

It doesn't matter who runs the club or how much money we invest, players will always want to play for Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd over us. That is just a fact of life.

And which part is total drivel? Getting pretty sick of people on this forum with no ambition that think "oh well, enjoy the ride, good old Saints remember the days back at the The Dell blah blah" where is the fight to push on? Nobody said anything about "forcing" players to sign for us. But as we have found out money talks. If you want a good player you have to pay for a good player.

We finished 7th last season, we had every pundit in the country swallowing their pride and saying "you know what, Saints have shocked us all, what a fantastic set up" our stock has never been higher in the eyes of the footballing world, this is the time to leverage all that. There is no reason at all why quality players in the 8-10 million pound bracket shouldn't want to come to us.

You are right, the window hasnt closed yet... although RK himself has said all he wants is another CB and he is happy with the squad. If the fringe players we bought in are the ones that are going to take us to the next level them someone has messed up

Write whatever cr ap you like. We're not going to pay more than Spurs. Get used to it because it's right we don't.

Dry your eyes.

How do you know we haven't got it dead right this summer? After all, we have the same number of points as we had this time last year.

FWIW I think we have a better squad, and possibly a better first choice starting line up (assuming the arrival of a quality CB), with more tactical options, than we had this time last year.

I don't. But I don't think we will. My opinion mate. I don't see at all how we have a better first eleven without clyne, Toby and Morgan. It's okay having a lot of players and saying you have a squad but if the players aren't as good as the players who have gone what's the point. It's too early to say but basic sense tells me we should be worse. I hope I am wrong and will be first to say I was if I am. I was wrong last summer when we sold players massively, but I do feel we got very lucky last summer.

It doesn't matter who runs the club or how much money we invest, players will always want to play for Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd over us. That is just a fact of life.

I agree mate. Just under cortese we were having a go. It doesn't matter as it wasn't his money but katrina decided she didn't want to aim for champions league. Not a problem but we can't expect to improve every year. So it's not a surprise. Also, to sell that many players in that short length of time is unprecedented even for us.

I thought we played too much on the wings, passing the ball sideways when there were plenty of opportunities to strike for goal through defenders. Too timid. Had we been braver and more direct I am sure we would have scored. We were spread out too much, and consequently too vulnerable defending.

Sometimes I wonder what fan's want, some seem so detached from reality that it's frightening. I'm not just talking about ourselves either. What's up with Everton fans protesting? I mean, what do they have to protest about? They had a poor year last year, but more often than not they're in the EL. But what more do they expect? Do they really expect to be a CL team?

It just seems as if all sorts of fans expectations are all over the show right now. Everton, Stoke, Swansea and ourselves are in a battle of the best of the rest. Sometimes we'll win it, sometimes we'll miss out. Enjoy where we are as it won't always be this good, we're in a good place compared to many others.

I might be called happy clappy or whatever, but it's about perspective really and understanding and accepting your teams standing in the world of football.

I don't. But I don't think we will. My opinion mate. I don't see at all how we have a better first eleven without clyne, Toby and Morgan. It's okay having a lot of players and saying you have a squad but if the players aren't as good as the players who have gone what's the point. It's too early to say but basic sense tells me we should be worse. I hope I am wrong and will be first to say I was if I am. I was wrong last summer when we sold players massively, but I do feel we got very lucky last summer.

But isn't that exactly what you were saying last year after we'd lost Lallana, Lambert, Lovren and Chambers?

It's not just about players but about how they dovetail and how they are used tactically. The team can be better than the sum of its parts. Perhaps that's why those players, as good as they were for us, haven't set their new worlds alight.

Give it a chance before melting, Roger. And two games - with an open window - isn't a chance.

Sometimes I wonder what fan's want, some seem so detached from reality that it's frightening. I'm not just talking about ourselves either. What's up with Everton fans protesting? I mean, what do they have to protest about? They had a poor year last year, but more often than not they're in the EL. But what more do they expect? Do they really expect to be a CL team?

It just seems as if all sorts of fans expectations are all over the show right now. Everton, Stoke, Swansea and ourselves are in a battle of the best of the rest. Sometimes we'll win it, sometimes we'll miss out. Enjoy where we are as it won't always be this good, we're in a good place compared to many others.

I might be called happy clappy or whatever, but it's about perspective really and understanding and accepting your teams standing in the world of football.

None of that has anything to do with the performance today though, which taken in isolation is obviously just one game and a bad day at the office - management and players alike. In a wider sense it is also a sobering reflection that the idea that this club can do well in the league and Europe seems very far fetched, both from a squad depth of quality perspective and the clubs ability to cope with the schedule.

I'm fully aware of Saints place in the wider context of football and we have just about hit our limit of the possible I think, and that is fine by me, but I also think there are aspects of todays performance which may reflect a wider issue we now have at the club where we either have to play a different way to last season and be good at it, or recruit players to play as we did last season and see how we go. As we have seen in four games now, it appears we are trying to play the same way as last season with inferior players and it isn't working too well. Time for all at the club to show this sort of joined up strategy in recruitment and playing style we seemed keen to milk when thing were going so well last season.

Poor set up first half and the worst organisation defensively I've seen of us under Koeman. Full backs exposed time after time. Yoshida was very poor and Targett had a nightmare. Radical was also woeful first half. Need the new CB asap and Bertrand back fit.

Positives are that Romeou (spelling!) was brilliant, deserves to start next week. Pelle was very mobile and Mane played well.

There was an over-reliance on just pumping the ball up into Pelle, or constantly sending in crosses when other options were available. I think when we have a full strength team out and given a chance to gel we should show a little more creativity.

This team is better than just top half:

----------------------Stekelenberg--------------------------

Cedric-----Fonte----------------VVD----------Bertrand

--------------Wanyama--------Romeu-------------------

--------------------------Clasie----------------------------

Mane---------------------------------------JRod/Tadic/Juanmi/Long

-----------------------Pelle--------------------------------

Sign VVD and we have a great first 11. Chins up, only the second game. Lots to look forward to and get excited this season. However, Long, Davis and Targett had horrible games today and should not play on Thursday.

Sun's out, half bottle of wine in me so far and the world has a rosier complexion. We March On!

That is indeed a very tasty team.

Mate tbf you were the first person saying to me after last summer that after cortese left things were goin to go downhill. Okay they didn't as we had a freak summer but now a lot of the things you said were going to happen have, like the board have decided they don't want the same ambitions as cortese had. I will support club through thick and thin but let's be honest it's very likely with the policy of selling players that we will be as good or better than last season. I absolutely love the club and don't blame anyone but just saying that's likely to be case of you sell that many players over that short period of time. My expectations are less even before today. It's not a problem.

Utterly Sh1te.

We have not looked that vulnerable at the back since the days of Jermaine Wright, Lloyd James, Darren Powell, Joseph Mills and Olly Lancashire!

Full backs simply aren't good enough. As many have already said, the two in midfield just doesn't work. Needed to play Romeu or JWP from the start and drop Tadic/Long.

Many trying to be optimistic by saying we were in the same position last year, which we were, but on today's showing we could be in for a long year if Wanyama get's injured.

But isn't that exactly what you were saying last year after we'd lost Lallana, Lambert, Lovren and Chambers?

It's not just about players but about how they dovetail and how they are used tactically. The team can be better than the sum of its parts. Perhaps that's why those players, as good as they were for us, haven't set their new worlds alight.

Give it a chance before melting, Roger. And two games - with an open window - isn't a chance.

I'm not melting mate. I just admitted I got it completely wrong last season. I still bought a season ticket tho as I have this season and still going to sing my heart out every game, but just being realistic. I think we had a freak summer with replacing players but think it will catch up with us eventually. We may see if Mitchell was key to that too.

Well, now I've calmed down a bit.....

Gutted, Everton played very well we didn't. That sums it up.

Not sure what is happening with Targett but both Newcastle and Everton identified him as a weakness and it showed. I'm not sure if it's Matt himself or a lack of support when he's under pressure but if needs sorting.

There's absolutely no point banging on and on about the players that have left. They are irrelevant no matter how much you may be missing them. What matters is the squad we have now and I am quite sure that Ronald will be working out how to make us less vulnerable at the back while we are missing Bertrand. There's also no point banging on about VVD - he hasn't signed for us yet.

Two games down, same position as last year. I'll panic at Christmas if we aren't safe (or near safety), not before.

Mate tbf you were the first person saying to me after last summer that after cortese left things were goin to go downhill. Okay they didn't as we had a freak summer but now a lot of the things you said were going to happen have, like the board have decided they don't want the same ambitions as cortese had. I will support club through thick and thin but let's be honest it's very likely with the policy of selling players that we will be as good or better than last season. I absolutely love the club and don't blame anyone but just saying that's likely to be case of you sell that many players over that short period of time. My expectations are less even before today. It's not a problem.

I think you need to let go of the Cortese's ambition stuff. Unfunded pie in the sky crap that was never, ever going to happen.

Pretty simple issues really...

1. Ron mèssed up the 1st half tactiçs...should never have played Tadic where Davis should be and Reed (or Romeu) next to Vic.

2. Everton have ìmproveď theìr side and they looked stronger/fitter than Saints.

3. We have not ŕeplaced the quàlity of Toby and Morgan. I predicted some weeks baçk that we would ship goals if this was not sorted.

4. Only poßitive ìs that Romeu looks like he might be useful if he can stay ìnjury free.

What - a club with good infrastructure and loads of money climbing out of League 1 and the Championship? Yes that did happen.

Yes okay. Forgetting that we have lost 3 of our best players abc it looks unlikely we have replaced them with similar quality so far. I live in hope tho.

We finished 7th cos our recruitment got it dead right last summer. We did amazing at recruiting players last summer. A carlsberg of a summer. Very rare a club does that well with it and if course, we've lost our head of recruitment since.

Anyway, this will make you happy, everything is perfect we should have sold everyone and the players we have brought in our much better And today we were awesome.

Calm down mush, I never said that just pointing out its just 2 games in