Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

Wow, what a bunch of cry babies! Blame for this defeat needs to be firmly laid at the feet of Koeman today: truly awful team selection.

Those slagging off Cedric and Targett: they got absolutely zero help and support from Long and tadic who were both utterly useless. Add in the terrible performance from Steve Davis and basically we only had Wanyama in midfield.

The new guy looks like he will be an excellent addition and shored up our non-existent midfield in the second half. Both Mane and Pelle I thought were very good with such terrible service from our non-existent midfield and Yoshida did not have his best game.

Plenty of work for Koeman to do though and a CB is an absolute must.

Still very early days and still reckon we will be top 10.

Wow, what a bunch of cry babies! Blame for this defeat needs to be firmly laid at the feet of Koeman today: truly awful team selection.

Those slagging off Cedric and Targett: they got absolutely zero help and support from Long and tadic who were both utterly useless. Add in the terrible performance from Steve Davis and basically we only had Wanyama in midfield.

The new guy looks like he will be an excellent addition and shored up our non-existent midfield in the second half. Both Mane and Pelle I thought were very good with such terrible service from our non-existent midfield and Yoshida did not have his best game.

Plenty of work for Koeman to do though and a CB is an absolute must.

Still very early days and still reckon we will be top 10.

Rubbish. The blame is with the board for selling 8 top quality players in 2 seasons which must be a record.

We did enough to win last week but were second best in every department today ...why do we always seem to stumble on the first sunny day of the season ?

.......now is a good test to see how Ronald puts it right, but worth remembering that after two matches at the start of last season we had just ..... one point.

Am I the only one that's bored of this "well when we get Virgil Van Dijk.." is he the only defender in the world we can afford? Im all for having a target but he is a defender in one of the least competitive leagues in the world.. granted Wanyama was a good signing from Celtic but this guy better be bl*ody good to warrant all this faith we are putting in him.

One thing that I do know is he probably isnt good enough to gamble until last day of the transfer window for him/Celtic to make the decision.

We urgently need some defensive quality added to the team. I love that we try to scout out talent under the radar but sometimes if you want the finished article you have to put your hand in you pocket and spend.

I know its early days and i'm definitely prepared to look back on this post in 3 months and ridicule myself but so far...

Cedric... who? Fontes mate from Portugal that played like Adam Sandler's "Waterboy" first half last match and exposed again today.

Caulker.. A defender whos been part of the two leakiest defences 2 seasons running

Jumanji... Excited at his pedigree to be honest but unlikely to play much part without injuries to starting 11

Clasie.. a decent "name" but looks very very lightweight physically for this league.

Martina.. a utility bit part player

Romeu... looked settled today but again a punt on a forgotten player. Definitely a tactic to try once or twice a season

But come on, are these the sort of quality signings that take a team that were knocking on the Champs league door for half of last season to the next level? Seems to me very "wheeler dealer lets take a few punts and save us some money".

Looks like our waiting game for a CB is hurting us. And generally, our policy to sell most of a first team in the space of 12 months may be catching up with us

We were poor last week for most of the game, poor away to vitesse and most of the sides around us have significantly improved their starting line ups.

Massive Morgan sized hole unfortunately...

..which was almost plugged when Romeu came in I thought. He was one of the positives to take from the game. Wanyama played better when he came on because he was freed from the entire defensive burden. I Iike Steve Davis but he is no DM.

Edited by St_Tel49
missing word

Looks like our waiting game for a CB is hurting us. And generally, our policy to sell most of a first team in the space of 12 months may be catching up with us

We were poor last week for most of the game, poor away to vitesse and most of the sides around us have significantly improved their starting line ups.

Spot on name me another prem team who have sold 8 of there starting 11 on last two seasons.

Spot on name me another prem team who have sold 8 of there starting 11 on last two seasons.

It never ever happens until we went down that road

I expect stones to go to Chelsea. Which is how it works right?

I find it incredible that we are starting the season with yoshida at CB

Rubbish. The blame is with the board for selling 8 top quality players in 2 seasons which must be a record.

It's not rubbish at all. Compared to some of the players, Koeman is being very gently treated on here tonight. I love the guy but he dropped a massive clanger today, and that was the cause of today's sh*t-show. He had a bit of an excuse last week (I'm sure he was fully consulted about the starting line up at Newcastle), but not today. He'd had a chance to learn the lesson from last week, and he had the role-player we needed in order to play the way we have to play. He should have started him.

Now we've got the usual suspects, including the urine-soaked one from Austria, ignoring that fact, crying about want-away players, and opting to berate the Board and everyone bar those who picked the team.

By the time we learn the lessons of the last two games, get our injured players back, and sign VvD (or whoever), we'll be fine. The other results this season are already all over the place.

. The team selection was poor. We were caught out last week with Newcastle playing around our midfield. This week the same midfield the same result, totally exposed back four. Romeu brought some balance to midfield but Davis as a forward when we were chasing goals didn't work. Romeu should have started with Wanyama in front of the back four. I can't help thinking that Martina is a safer bet than Targett.

Everton were much more dynamic up front with their fastest players on the shoulders of the defenders and the midfielders breaking fast. We had the static Pelle up front seeming to be moaning the whole game maybe with some justification. Our quick players were too deep and neutered by our really slow build up which closes down the space available in the opponents defence.

Our free kicks and corners floated in are dire. They need to be put in with pace. Chasing the game the substitutions didn't work for me. I thought Davis should have been swopped for Romeu although Tadic wasn't much of a threat. Then Rodriguez for Long, again I thought Davis. The really negative one was JWP for Davis, a case of no goals changed for no goals. We need to get the ball up to the forwards more quickly rather than the really slow build up and have our quick forwards getting at the opponents back four with space behind.

Am I the only one that's bored of this "well when we get Virgil Van Dijk.." is he the only defender in the world we can afford? Im all for having a target but he is a defender in one of the least competitive leagues in the world.. granted Wanyama was a good signing from Celtic but this guy better be bl*ody good to warrant all this faith we are putting in him.

One thing that I do know is he probably isnt good enough to gamble until last day of the transfer window for him/Celtic to make the decision.

We urgently need some defensive quality added to the team. I love that we try to scout out talent under the radar but sometimes if you want the finished article you have to put your hand in you pocket and spend.

I know its early days and i'm definitely prepared to look back on this post in 3 months and ridicule myself but so far...

Cedric... who? Fontes mate from Portugal that played like Adam Sandler's "Waterboy" first half last match and exposed again today.

Caulker.. A defender whos been part of the two leakiest defences 2 seasons running

Jumanji... Excited at his pedigree to be honest but unlikely to play much part without injuries to starting 11

Clasie.. a decent "name" but looks very very lightweight physically for this league.

Romeu... looked settled today but again a punt on a forgotten player. Definitely a tactic to try once or twice a season

But come on, are these the sort of quality signings that take a team that were knocking on the Champs league door for half of last season to the next level? Seems to me very "wheeler dealer lets take a few punts and save us some money".

Well it is their money after all

I think it is going to take sometime to for the team to be in line for another top 7 finish

TWO GAMES IN...........TWO!

But it comes as no surprise that you are pessimistic again!

It's not rubbish at all. Compared to some of the players, Koeman is being very gently treated on here tonight. I love the guy but he dropped a massive clanger today, and that was the cause of today's sh*t-show. He had a bit of an excuse last week (I'm sure he was fully consulted about the starting line up at Newcastle), but not today. He'd had a chance to learn the lesson from last week, and he had the role-player we needed in order to play the way we have to play. He should have started him.

Now we've got the usual suspects, including the urine-soaked one from Austria, ignoring that fact, crying about want-away players, and opting to berate the Board and everyone bar those who picked the team.

By the time we learn the lessons of the last two games, get our injured players back, and sign VvD (or whoever), we'll be fine. The other results this season are already all over the place.

I don't agree, I've seen posts talking about his selection - people are saying that he got the wrong team from the start. Anyone could have seen it. Pointless going OTT about it though, everyone learns lessons.

Just for info.

Am in Italy and was talking football with a load of Italians (Napoli fans) they laughed when I mentioned pelle and made donkey noises about him.

That is possibly the most bored I've ever been reading a post, ever.

I don't agree, I've seen posts talking about his selection - people are saying that he got the wrong team from the start. Anyone could have seen it. Pointless going OTT about it though, everyone learns lessons.

Sure, people are talking about his poor selection but he's not being subjected to the same OTT vitriol as half of the team and a Board that has done a fantastic job for us.

Hopefully we have learned our lessons because that's the second week in a row that we've tried a trick that's not going to work with the players we have. It's also the second week in a row that we've been ripped apart on counters from underhit Stephen Davis corners.

. The team selection was poor. We were caught out last week with Newcastle playing around our midfield. This week the same midfield the same result, totally exposed back four. Romeu brought some balance to midfield but Davis as a forward when we were chasing goals didn't work. Romeu should have started with Wanyama in front of the back four. I can't help thinking that Martina is a safer bet than Targett.

Everton were much more dynamic up front with their fastest players on the shoulders of the defenders and the midfielders breaking fast. We had the static Pelle up front seeming to be moaning the whole game maybe with some justification. Our quick players were too deep and neutered by our really slow build up which closes down the space available in the opponents defence.

Our free kicks and corners floated in are dire. They need to be put in with pace. Chasing the game the substitutions didn't work for me. I thought Davis should have been swopped for Romeu although Tadic wasn't much of a threat. Then Rodriguez for Long, again I thought Davis. The really negative one was JWP for Davis, a case of no goals changed for no goals. We need to get the ball up to the forwards more quickly rather than the really slow build up and have our quick forwards getting at the opponents back four with space behind.

We looked much better when he came on I think he will be a good addition to the team having said that I didn't expect him to start because he has only been at the club a few days. Starting Reed next to Victor with Davis in the 10 role would have made more sense as a starting 11 IMO keep it tight. The last two games we've looked very open.

Sure, people are talking about his poor selection but he's not being subjected to the same OTT vitriol as half of the team and a Board that has done a fantastic job for us.

Hopefully we have learned our lessons because that's the second week in a row that we've tried a trick that's not going to work with the players we have. It's also the second week in a row that we've been ripped apart on counters from underhit Stephen Davis corners.

I think we have been limited with the players we have available. (i.e lack of Ryan, Jordy). I'm sure our prefered lineup is Wanyama and Clasie/Romeu with the likes of Mane, Tadic, Long, Jay in a 3 behind Pelle.

The full backs need more protection, In a way I kind of feel sorry for Cedric, although he hasn't covered himself in glory. What we missed in the first half were 2 sitting midfielders who would clean up in the full back positions, that's why we were hit so many times down the flanks.

If anyone is showing hatred then thats a shame and quite frankly ludicrous.

But today and last week has has been a weak link and out of his depth.

As we know with Fox, Hooiveld etc any weak links get ruthlessly exposed in the PL.

Last week Merrington was repeatedly pointing out that Targett was getting little cover from JRod and he was getting equally little cover from Shane Long this week. He pulled off one brilliant piece of defending in our box in the first half which shows what he is capable of. He has yet to develop the consistency that will make him a top player - but it is far to early to condemn him.

I think we have been limited with the players we have available. (i.e lack of Ryan, Jordy). I'm sure our prefered lineup is Wanyama and Clasie/Romeu with the likes of Mane, Tadic, Long, Jay in a 3 behind Pelle.

The full backs need more protection, In a way I kind of feel sorry for Cedric, although he hasn't covered himself in glory. What we missed in the first half were 2 sitting midfielders who would clean up in the full back positions, that's why we were hit so many times down the flanks.

Agree with most of that but he might have his eye on playing Clasie a bit farther forward due to his passing skills (needed up front) and smaller physical stature (could be problematic in front of the back four).

Agree with most of that but he might have his eye on playing Clasie a bit farther forward due to his passing skills (needed up front) and smaller physical stature (could be problematic in front of the back four).

I get the feeling now we have the holding two sorted that he will be playing as the attacking midfielder with three up front.

I get the feeling now we have the holding two sorted that he will be playing as the attacking midfielder with three up front.

That's what I think he'll do. Clasie might be a Davis replacement rather than a Schneiderlin replacement.

I see plenty of reason for optimism about the season, regardless of the first two games.

Did anyone else notice that for the first goal our players all seemed to race to take up their defensive positions it did not occur to any of them to get in close to the man with the ball? He was completely free to launch that cross. Now THAT is where Targett was probably at fault.

FFS , we have some right twts as supporters , both here and at the game . Every single premier league side will have a bad day at the office somewhen , particularly in August . It's an unforgiving league and you pay the price for poor performances . Today was poor once we went 1-0 down , but there's been a total over reaction on here and by some coming out the ground .

Target is a teenager , with a teenagers body , we were spoilt with shaw. , who was a man at that age . What do people expect , Everton have physical players that bully grown men , let alone a young kid . Give the kid a break FFS .

Looked better second half with the 2 strong holding players , get a centre half in to replace maya and I'd like to see juanmi given a run instead if Tadic or Long . We're not a million miles away , people need to calm down .

I'm sure you'll get plenty of stick for posting this and there will be a load of people calling you a bed wetter but for what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree with you. I honestly can't believe that people are naive enough to think that we'll finish top 10 this season. Even with 2 more 'quality' additions I can't see it happening. How is this a step towards regular European football etc?

FFS , we have some right twts as supporters , both here and at the game . Every single premier league side will have a bad day at the office somewhen , particularly in August . It's an unforgiving league and you pay the price for poor performances . Today was poor once we went 1-0 down , but there's been a total over reaction on here and by some coming out the ground .

Target is a teenager , with a teenagers body , we were spoilt with shaw. , who was a man at that age . What do people expect , Everton have physical players that bully grown men , let alone a young kid . Give the kid a break FFS .

Looked better second half with the 2 strong holding players , get a centre half in to replace maya and I'd like to see juanmi given a run instead if Tadic or Long . We're not a million miles away , people need to calm down .

Perhaps Targett needs to imbibe more Nandos eh....

I'm sure you'll get plenty of stick for posting this and there will be a load of people calling you a bed wetter but for what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree with you. I honestly can't believe that people are naive enough to think that we'll finish top 10 this season. Even with 2 more 'quality' additions I can't see it happening. How is this a step towards regular European football etc?

Bet you said that last season too

..which was almost plugged when Romeu came in I thought. He was one of the positives to take from the game. Wanyama played better when he came on because he was freed from the entire defensive burden. I Iike Steve Davis but he is no DM.

I think this is where the problem with us lies atm - we've had such a strong spine for the last couple of seasons with Morgan and Vic sitting in front of the defence, but without Morgan we're found lacking. Unfortunate for us that Clasie has been unavailable recently and Romeu not quite ready to start, as our DMs are so important to how the team plays. If Clasie/Romeu gel with Vic we'll be fine, our squad is strong overall but we're missing something in the middle atm.

If Koeman manages to turn things around this seasonn( and I might add he's not succeeded in doing so since February) it will be an incredible achievement. One that will top everything he did last season.

We don't have the players available ( injured or fit) and need to spend big in the coming weeks to stand any chance of holding our own. The Europa hoodoo has hit fast and without a squad big enough to cope with the incredible arrival of games that await us it's looking bad.. We struggled last season when the additional cup games and injuries arrived. We need hard and real men who can play at this level, not midgets and dwarfs who are knocked over and poleaxed with the wave of a feather.

Koeman has to let Les Reed and the Board know it straight what awaits us unless we get the players we need. (Joey Barton anyone?!!!) I blame Koeman for letting Les Reed have too bigger say and being too shy to spend what's needed to maintain our position. The way things are we're on a slide. On afterthought, one sees clearer why Pochettino and players departed when left to deal with Les Reed.

Targett was left unprotected and exposed in a way I've rarely seen during a Saints game. Why is he being made the scapegoat. I'm not his biggest fan but with the right players around him he will make it big sooner than later. More experienced players have to carry the rap for the abysmal performance in the first half. Koeman waited too long to make the changes when Tadic and Long should have been removed far soon. Surely Martina should have been brought on together with Romeu.

No, Koeman is living up to his past form in management and it's going to take a lot to maintain the equilibrium, let alone move forward.

When mentioned in the past, the Feyenoord contingent on here scoffed at the suggestion.

His passing is so much better than Davis. It's not as if Davis is going to get goals. I can see us more 4-3-3 than 4-2-3-1 but either could work with Vic, Romeu and Clasie. I can't see us buying them not to start.

Roger !! ffs its only TWO GAMES into the new league season, get a grip

History tells you you don't stand still let alone improve selling that amount of good players. I hope I'm wrong but I think we got a bit lucky last summer with players we brought in. On the good side,betrand will improve us,hope we finally sign a cb that will and Romeo and classie will. J rod will improve too. Very concerned by the size of Cedric tho. I'm entitled to my opinion like you. I don't feel we have pushed on. I will still support team through thick and thin every game but be realistic.