Sants 0 - Everton 3: Post match rage thread

Bewildered

I

Thought we were just beaten by the better side today - if their form continues like today - they will be top 6 - Team selection seemed OK at Kick Off but big gaps in midfield and defence not protected showed our weakness. I thought Romeu did a good job when he came on and looked more up to it then some of the others. Pelle was good but no decent support today. If the Mane chance had gone in then a different game altogether. Cant see that performance will be repeated again especially at home. 2-3 players required by end of month - CB & Defensive Midfield and would like to see a utility player but I guess that could be Martina's role. Attack will be fine once defence is sorted. I think even with Schneiderlin and Clyne we would have lost today.

Good post.

As is your infatuation with my every post. Remembering I have previously criticised Tadic must mean you have little else to remember I guess, fine you think the sun shines out his arse, I happen to think the guy is a phoney- you are welcome to your opinion, but forgive me for daring to challenge it. Do you stalk others on here remembering their every uttering? Just curious.

What about longs performance?

I think if Everton can keep hold of Stones and Barkley they will have a good season.

Its great when a team keeps hold of its best players as the feeling is nice with your own young English produced talent.

I think we sold ours too easily IMHO.

Like we did with Lambert versus Clyne when he played for them?

Then when he played for us, with decent coaching and an organised defence it was rarely an issue.

A few weeks ago everyone was saying how we had replaced Clyne with someone half the price who was a class player.

Reality is he could be class but Clyne already was which is why Liverpool bought him instead of Cedric. Thats the options money gives you.

Clyne was bigger than Cedric though. Think Jimmy Krankie was too.

Crazy stat:

@OptaJoe: 3 - Southampton have already conceded more goals from fast breaks this PL season (3) than they did last season (2). Caught.

That is crazy, mostly because of how few we conceded last year with fairly marauding full backs.

But Jermaine Jenas has identified an important flaw in our lack of defensive pace on MOTD. Having Bertrand back will help

I thought Everton were excellent. We were mediocre to slightly poor.

If the rub of the green had gone the other way, we might have snatched something.

But the truth is we were beaten by a very good team who played exceptionally.

In what way did you think Everton were excellent ? They did a good job and were massively efficient, no more than that I thought.

In what way did you think Everton were excellent ? They did a good job and were massively efficient, no more than that I thought.

Agree. Thought they were pretty average - Steklenberg hardly made a save of note. Apart from when we laid ourselves open to the counter, their buildup play was slow and methodical and never really troubled us. Had we pressed more cohesively, we'd have made it more difficult for them to play out from the back, esp Coleman. When we began to do it in the second half, they more often than not went long and Lukaku cut an isolated figure.

What does Juanmi have to do to get a decent run?

I also wondered why Koeman didn't use him as Juanmi is one of the few players to add some creativity to the team. Especially when Tadic doesn't deliver...

But credits to Everton who countered their way to a decent victory. Lukaku did great, I almost forgot how big he is until Wanyama stumbled into him and he didn't even blink.

The game reminded me of Saints against Feyenoord and Vitesse, Everton was just waiting for the opportunities to counter after a mistake from the Saints while the Saints weren't able to do some damage due to a poor midfield when it comes to attacking. I said it before, the Saints really need a midfielder who is able to create chances for the attackers and also can score himself. It's too much of the same right now. It's obvious that coming opponents will use the same tactics as Everton did and when the Saints don't score first there will be more points lost at Saint Mary's with all those defensive midfielders and players like Reed, JWP and so on.

I also wonder why so many forum members believe that Mane will be the next player sold for 30 million or more. He's usefull when it comes to a counter due to his speed but he does look like a blind horse sometimes. Ah well, some clubs have far too much money so who knows. With that kind of money the Saints will be able to get a better player.

Anyhow, better forget this game soon and start to look out for next week.

When was the last time we came down from TWO goals down in a Prem game to draw or win? If not Prem game then any game?

This is top of my memory, but is our 4-1 victory over Aston Villa in first season back in Prem at home and our 3-1 away win last season against West Ham the only time we have come back from one goal down to win since we've got promoted?

My point is- why is it that whenever we concede the first goal our heads drop and we look like conceding more.

A record i'd like to see improved.

As for today- day to forget. Move on.

When was the last time we came down from TWO goals down in a Prem game to draw or win? If not Prem game then any game?

This is top of my memory, but is our 4-1 victory over Aston Villa in first season back in Prem at home and our 3-1 away win last season against West Ham the only time we have come back from one goal down to win since we've got promoted?

My point is- why is it that whenever we concede the first goal our heads drop and we look like conceding more.

A record i'd like to see improved.

As for today- day to forget. Move on.

2-2 away to Chelsea just before Adkins got sacked?

Arsenal away in the League Cup last season, won 2-1?

West Ham away last season, 1-0 down and won 3-1?

2-2 away to Chelsea just before Adkins got sacked?

Arsenal away in the League Cup last season, won 2-1?

West Ham away last season, 1-0 down and won 3-1?

Completely forgot league cup and chelsea game!

Seeing Stoke do it today against Spurs made me think about it- im not going to judge our squad till end of octoberish anyways.

Early days, lets judge at the end of October. Irks me that Stones and Barkley don't seem to want to 'play at the highest level' though.

Add McCarthy to that list of players- recently signed 5 year contract.

Personally though I don't think today was a day for Clasie, Barkley had a great game and he's a bloody big unit, Clasie would just have been overun by a player of that power and pace. Wasn't a day for any small DM actually.

Until we see what he [Clasie] can do in the PL we've no idea whatsoever of his qualties. Dutch football is what we term here as a "mirroir d'alouettes" It has no relevance to the PL.

You seem a bit mixed up.

Early days, lets judge at the end of October. Irks me that Stones and Barkley don't seem to want to 'play at the highest level' though.

What? By showing a bit of loyalty? So did it annoy you le Tiss stayed with us?

A bit different to losing to Everton at home 3-0!

Not really...I thought Everton played to a high level, and were better all over the pitch.. Two seasons ago they were 5th with over 70 Pts and are clearly a top six side when no extra fixtures to cope with. They also went the farthest of our teams in the Europa League last year I think.

Comparing now to last season's first 2 fixtures is a complete red herring. Different Saints, different opposition, and 12 months ago. A specious argument to distract from the manner of our home thumping at the hands of what is at best a workaday Everton outfit.

We have a lot of work to do in order to get the team fit for purpose this season.

Comparing now to last season's first 2 fixtures is a complete red herring. Different Saints, different opposition, and 12 months ago. A specious argument to distract from the manner of our home thumping at the hands of what is at best a workaday Everton outfit.

We have a lot of work to do in order to get the team fit for purpose this season.

The equivalent fixture calculation thing that various people started last season was utter boll ocks then and it is utter boll ocks now.

However, it's not a specious argument to say that we are two games in, we clearly haven't finished our transfer business and calm the fu ck down you grizzling bellends.

We've got a long season ahead, hopefully with a lot more matches in the Europa League. Will not beat last season's finish and more than likely drop to a more middling mid table, say 10th or 11th.

The dins on here better start getting used to it instead on wailing on here like we've never played poorly or lost a match before.

We are Southampton, the team that finishes 7th and doesn't lose to teams like Everton 3-0 at home. Let's all have a meltdown.

**** me. 2 games in and the season is over for some. These are the sort of games we struggle in. Admitedly the defence was all over the place but we will still bring in a couple of players. I'm all in favour for going all out in the Europa league and letting Stoke, Swansea and Palace finish above us. We will lose a fair few games this season, get over it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Everton were very good yesterday; ok the back four did not have the toughest day and across the pitch we helped them but they were a lot better than "workaday".

Come on, if it was the other way round and we had won 3-0 at Goodison we'd all be saying how brilliantly we played. Yes we were poor yesterday but to say Everton didn't play very well is unfair.

Come on, if it was the other way round and we had won 3-0 at Goodison we'd all be saying how brilliantly we played. Yes we were poor yesterday but to say Everton didn't play very well is unfair.

Everton were ok but they weren't all that either they played a decent counter attack game and defended well enough and we were below par. I wasn't stood there watching the game yesterday thinking wow Everton are a real cut above us player wise. We set up badly and once we went a goal down had to push for an equaliser leaving us open to counter attacks.

Thought Everton were excellent yesterday...doubtless a reaction to a good rollicking after last weekend's performance

We, on the other hand, had a shocker

The result was 0-3

Everton thoroughly deserved the win. Hopefully we learn and move on. This time last year we had the same points total. My bed remains dry.

We are Southampton, the team that finishes 7th and doesn't lose to teams like Everton 3-0 at home. Let's all have a meltdown.

**** me. 2 games in and the season is over for some. These are the sort of games we struggle in. Admitedly the defence was all over the place but we will still bring in a couple of players. I'm all in favour for going all out in the Europa league and letting Stoke, Swansea and Palace finish above us. We will lose a fair few games this season, get over it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you will find our points tally is the same after two games this season as it was last season!

I haven't trawled through this thread so apologies if I repeat posts but the reason we lost today was Steven Davis playing alongside Victor in the first half. He is a good player in the advanced midfield role and I think this week and last RK got it wrong by playing him deeper. The other option was Reed and he should of trusted the young lad - didn't he play against Everton at home last year? - but instead went did experience. This is compounded by the fact that the four in front of the midfield two are not link up players and so there was a gap too big and the front four were either too far forward or deeper than they are used too and in areas where there talents have less effect because there were more players in front of them.

There really is no need to panic though. When Caulker, VVD ( or other) Bertrand Clasie all return and Romeu is settled we will be a very good unit. It won't be as exciting in the league as last year and we all knew that but finishing top 12 and having some fun in the cups especially abroad will still be progress.

Who has said Everton didn't play well?

If you think that constitutes an excellent display, you've got a very basic view of football.

Despite losing heavily, Mane had two decent efforts saved, and Pelle had 2 free headers that he couldn't even get on target.

A bit more ruthlessness in front of goal and we could have got something from the worst of performances.

Think the the black box should be looking at a penalty box player.

Looking back over our games against Vitesse, Newcastle and Everton, I'd say we just haven't finished our transfer dealings yet.

We've bought well for Europe, now we need to add a couple of strong, pacey players for the Prem.

Glad we did it that way round, too, as I'd be far more disappointed to be out of Europe already than to only have 1 point after 2 games of a 38 game season.

Everton were excellent, a really quality away performance with power, pace and solid defending.. IF Pelle had scored with the header and Mane with his chance 46 seconds before Lukaku scored on the break i'm sure the game would have been different. But that's football and Everton took their chances.. No need to panic yet xx

Who has said Everton didn't play well?

If you think that constitutes an excellent display, you've got a very basic view of football.

With my very basic understanding of football, would it be okay if I was happy if we won 0-3 away from home each week having set up the team well, limited the supply of decent balls to the front men, condensed the space at key moments when we attacked, attacked with more verve and dominated the key phases of the match? Please do forgive those naive fans amongst us who think that winning 0-3 means that a team probably played better than average.

With my very basic understanding of football, would it be okay if I was happy if we won 0-3 away from home each week having set up the team well, limited the supply of decent balls to the front men, condensed the space at key moments when we attacked, attacked with more verve and dominated the key phases of the match? Please do forgive those naive fans amongst us who think that winning 0-3 means that a team probably played better than average.

No one has said any of that didn't happen. Bit of a waste of a post.

Everton were made to look better by our shambles of organisation. The first goal was a Div1 give-away... truly pathetic to leave that avenue wide open in the top flight. We keep talking about Pelle and Mane's chances... but just to be clear , these are NOT the same as goals !! We need to get a bit real here.... sign a goal scorer... a decent replacement for Spiderman and get this team organised.... 10th or 11th would be a great consolidating finish for us consider we are re-building but there is a lot of work to do and we can not keep deluding ourselves that Pelle and Mane are going to get us the goals we need.....

Post match 'rage' thread? Bit melodramatic isn't it?

Everton are a good team that IMO underperformed last season, I'm not completely unsurprised that they turned us over. We've lost some key players and it may take a while for things to bed down but we'll get there.

Last season was a brilliant one, I hope you savoured every moment of it because in the history of SFC seasons like that have been the exception rather than the rule.

It's not 'our right' to finish 7th, it's a tough league and teams like Everton are no mugs.

....some rather biting criticism of Matt Targett from fans - but are we really so surprised?.

He's barely played a dozen Prem.games (and with no continuity)....and if we didn't blame him alone .....there were plenty of other candidates.

only Jose Fonte was left from last season's back line - and tbf - he didn't distinguish himself either. Even if the "media story" was true, he didn't look very happy.

Cedric looks good going forward, but was weak defensively but if Lukaku turns it on like that in the rest of the season, Cedric won't be alone with a bruised reputation.

Tadic is good in an attacking role, but cannot defend.....(better choosing Reed).....and stengthen the midfield instead.

Romeu looked more confident, but will need to watch that fiery tackling......it might have been a red card.

Best chances fell to Pelle and Mane, but although they score good goals, they look lost when things are going badly. Bad day at the office - all round.

Now its upto Ronald to shuffle the pack and come up with a good win on Thursday, because on the strength of yesterday's game - even Watford could prove a handful.