Saints 1 Villa 1 Match reaction

Mr X

This. If we had the confidence of Leicester, say, we would've won by 3 or 4 today.

Which reminds me, I'm jealous of Leicester. Amazing transformation from this time last year.

They'll still be battling us to finish 7th at the end of the season.

They'll still be battling us to finish 7th at the end of the season.

I like your positivity. However, I reiterate that Ronald has to turn this around pronto. We have a sihtty Christmas period coming up, and frankly I can't see us getting any points before the New Year. To do a Dalek, we will be 19 points off safety going into the second half of the season; the team have been inconsistent all season, and currently look ready to implode every time their heads drop. The other teams in the middle of the pack have all been much more consistent than us so far, so I think we will have a real challenge getting into the top half of this division again this season.

So, in response to your positive post about battling Leicester for 7th come May 2016 - Nah, can't see it.

Anything is possible, we had a fairly poor second half of the season last year, so might they. Basic fact is though from the same start point (15th game) we were already 6 points behind their current total and we only made 32 points on the 18th match day of the season so they really do have a head start.

I like your positivity. However, I reiterate that Ronald has to turn this around pronto. We have a sihtty Christmas period coming up, and frankly I can't see us getting any points before the New Year. To do a Dalek, we will be 19 points off safety going into the second half of the season; the team have been inconsistent all season, and currently look ready to implode every time their heads drop. The other teams in the middle of the pack have all been much more consistent than us so far, so I think we will have a real challenge getting into the top half of this division again this season.

So, in response to your positive post about battling Leicester for 7th come May 2016 - Nah, can't see it.

Leicester are only 11 points ahead of us and have to play Man City twice, Spurs (A), Arsenal (A), Liverpool twice and Everton away by the middle of February.

We've got Spurs at home, Arsenal twice and Man U away (and Palace (a) and West Ham twice) in the same period. Every chance by the time we get to March they'll be around the same number of points as us.

Maybe, but they'll be attacking it from the other dircection.

Absolutely, but there's no reason at all to think they won't mirror our drop off last season, they have exactly the same issues in terms of squad size and depth, and if anything an even weaker squad, though they do have a more experienced manager.

Leicester are pretty much a shoo-in for seventh - tons of points in the bank.

They need 28 points from 23 games to match our 60 from last season, probably enough for 7th.

That's 1.2 points per game from now, so their form can drop off a cliff to, say, West Bromwich level and they'd still be 7th. They would have to collapse to relegation form for them to finish as low as, say eighth or ninth.

I think it's them for the spare Europa place already (at worst) because I don't think anyone will catch them.

Edited by CB Fry

They need 28 points from 23 games to match our 60 from last season, probably enough for 7th.

That's 1.2 points per game from now, so their form can drop off a cliff to, say, West Bromwich level and they'd still be 7th. They would have to collapse to relegation form for them to finish as low as, say eighth or ninth.

I think it's them for the spare Europa place already (at worst) because I don't think anyone will catch them.

I can see them going off a cliff just as West Ham did last year. Last season, 15 games in, 27 points (Leicester have 5 more), finished the season 12th on 47, 5 more than that would have been 10th on 52 points. West Ham probably had more strength in depth than Leicester do as well, even though they dragged Carlton Cole back from the wilderness.

FWIW we had 26 from 15 last season and finished on 60, which would see Leicester finish 5th based on last season's points - if you add the 6 more points they have already to that total.

Worth noting that both League Cup and FA Cup winners will need to finish in the top 6 for 7th to get a Europa League place.

Great a whole summer of "why can't we be more like Leicester" to look forward to at the end of the season then......

Great a whole summer of "why can't we be more like Leicester" to look forward to at the end of the season then......

Completely.

Of course Leicester will build on their finish and next season will finish higher again, then higher again the next season and then higher and higher and higher for every subsequent season forever. They'll build on the foundations they will. Not like us.

Completely.

Of course Leicester will build on their finish and next season will finish higher again, then higher again the next season and then higher and higher and higher for every subsequent season forever. They'll build on the foundations they will. Not like us.

Bit like Swansea last summer then who don't sell their best players like saints and bring in great new signings.........