Saints 1 Villa 1 Match reaction

Mr X

I like Pelle and think he's a technically sound player, but I'm starting to hate the fact that the entire team is set up to serve him. Could Mane ever play as a central striker the way Sturridge does for Liverpool when fit? Greater mobility and fluidity across the front line would surely give the opposition more problems than this tactical dead-end we've blundered down.

exactly

Do you think Koeman will stick with this squad and not buy anyone at all?

also.... I'm sure that when he says ....we won't sell anyone, he means first team squad players ONLY....expect Gaston to go .....and Juanmi on loan (somewhere)

But even if they do go on loan it probably won't reduce our wage bill and it won't bring us any money. We only sold for 37 million or so last summer and the vast majority of that has been spent so unless the owner is going to put her hand in her purse again there's no money available, there wasn't last January and there won't be this and I really doubt if there's much FFP space on the salary mass either. We paid our money and took our choice in the summer, now we have to live with the consequences or sell one (or more) major assets. Perhaps we'll let Wanyama go if there's still a market for him, offering not much just now and replacing him may be the way to go.

Pathetic result, awful to watch. We aren't likely to get a worse side visit St Mary's this season.

Koeman out of ideas it seems. Sick of Ramirez being ignored so crap like Davis and JWP can stroll around never scoring.

Something clearly very wrong. We're lacking anything to get excited about this season.

Grow a pair, you fanny.

I

Our buildup play was decent. Movement was better and more energy in the side. Let down by terrible finishing, we could have had two goals in the first two minutes. We really should have finished off a very poor Villa side before half.

Defense was better, but still looked panicked and disjointed at times. Center backs were solid, but we looked vulnerable down the wings. Davis and Bertrand were good. Mane caused them problems but his finishing was poor. Pelle had an off game. Our substitutions were excellent though an injected a lot of fight and urgency into the side, Juanmi and Romeu both were impressive.

Also, the fans booing at the half were disgraceful. With that attitude we will never win games....

Wrong - don't try and turn the blame on the fans. Fans have every right to let the players and coaching staff know that standards have been allowed to drop...

A new right forward/winger and moving Mane to play either behind Pelle or instead of Pelle would be ideal IMO.

Would still like to sign Phillips from QPR. Pace, potential to improve a lot, decent shot.

and would cost a decent price. im sure townsend is going too.

just got to have more pace other than mane. it is crippling us

either that, or carry on turning into a stereo-typical stoke side

It wasn't as bad as most of you make out. Their goal was a poor piece of marking, granted, but we were creating opportunities. On another day, we could have had 3 or 4.

My two complaints are simply;

1. Move Mane to the middle (I think he's be more dangerous there)

2. Drop Wanyama (He's too slow, doesn't look overly interested and certainly is nowhere near the player that he looked alongside Morgan)

It wasn't as bad as most of you make out. [/color]Their goal was a poor piece of marking, granted, but we were creating opportunities. On another day, we could have had 3 or 4.

2. Drop Wanyama (He's too slow, doesn't look overly interested and certainly is nowhere near the player that he looked alongside Morgan)

This.

We did enough to win the game and should have really. Their goal was shocking. A poor pass from Fonte (gifted them a corner) Villa couldn't even take the corner properly and scuffed it to bobble across our box

where it should have been cleared, so basically 2 minutes of multiple brain farts, other than that they never really got close to us. Poor finishing is what cost us 2pts today.

Edited by doddisalegend

I'd like to see us play 4231 with Mane as the number 10, Davis on the right and Tadic on the left, but the problem is this Morgan shaped hole because no one can play with fuc*ing Wanyama except when he pairs with Davis IMO. Clasie/JWP don't cut in deep and Romeu with Wanyama is too defensive. Our first team last season was brilliant. Taken a massive hit this year.

Koeman does not learn his lessons and repeats adfinitum the same personnel and system. Even we have been forced to changed and it has been successful he dumps it immediately.... Caulker on the bench !!! He is obviously not good enough so why was he even on the bench? Our out on loan under 21s cannot be worse - if they are, why are we still employing them?

Decision making by the Manager is suspect. Our style of play is lazy and slow, our fitness is very suspect, our pressing is non existent..... Koeman's attention to detail is severely lacking. The whole management seems to have drifted with complacency now. Come on RK get your act together and work harder on your own game as well as the team's ... It's time to step

It up!

If you always do what always did etc etc .....

It wasn't as bad as most of you make out. Their goal was a poor piece of marking, granted, but we were creating opportunities. On another day, we could have had 3 or 4.

Agree with this. Maybe it's time to give JWP a couple of games on the right. The only thing he can do is cross the ball well, so maybe he'd be better out wide? Incredibly slow and will never beat a man, but might be worth a try.

Wanyama should be dropped and Romeu given a few games to make an impression

The league is so competitive this season, it's all going to come down to fine margins. There's no real standout team, and Newcastle, Villa and (a slightly improving) Sunderland appear to be the only real **** sides. We really have as much chance of finishing 7th as we do 17th. RoKo really needs to show what he is made of and overcome this poor run of form.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pathetic result, awful to watch. We aren't likely to get a worse side visit St Mary's this season.

Koeman out of ideas it seems. Sick of Ramirez being ignored so crap like Davis and JWP can stroll around never scoring.

Something clearly very wrong. We're lacking anything to get excited about this season.

Waaah waaah waaah. Someone pass this chap some tissues.

It was not "awful" to watch, we created several excellent chances and completely dominated the game, the finishing let us down today.

Disappointing result especially when you look at how tight the table is, but the fans need to do their bit as well, I was in Kingsland block 33 today, some people around there must live very unhappy lives and most of the vocal fans in that area are miserable as anything, with the occasional shout of "get it FORWARD" thrown in, it's as if they were getting flashbacks from when they watched us in the late 50s.

I predicted a 1-1 draw today on the build up thread, going for a 2-1 win at Palace.

Waaah waaah waaah. Someone pass this chap some tissues.

It was not "awful" to watch, we created several excellent chances and completely dominated the game, the finishing let us down today.

Disappointing result especially when you look at how tight the table is, but the fans need to do their bit as well, I was in Kingsland block 33 today, some people around there must live very unhappy lives and most of the vocal fans in that area are miserable as anything, with the occasional shout of "get it FORWARD" thrown in, it's as if they were getting flashbacks from when they watched us in the late 50s.

I predicted a 1-1 draw today on the build up thread, going for a 2-1 win at Palace.

I actually saw a few people walking out on 60 minutes today never seen that before.

Someone like Austin, someone who just wants to score goals, would have had a field day today. I think we need a credible alternative to Pelle sometimes. We created chances early on and a goal then would have killed them and we would have romped it.

Thing is Pelle knows he is going to play week in week out because the only other option is Shane Long we really need an alternative and I reckon Austin could be that.

Pelle is very isolated at the moment. Sticking Mane in the hole might be a solution but we could equally serve him by moving the ball quicker and regaining our width. Fonte and Van Dijk are taking two or three touches before moving the ball out wide, giving the opposition a chance to get tight to Bertrand and Cedric.

shyte

after the usual opening 10-15 mins spell. weare pretty crap as an attacking force. Slow, ponderous and very dull.

the stats will say we had loads of shots. but how busy was guzan?

set pieces have been our get out all season. We are turning into stoke of a few years ago

I believe Pelle is a big part of that for the reasons I have given plenty of times in other threads

how he stays on the pitch constantly when he is a passenger os a joke

extra point towards 40, I guess

Davis my MoM

Pretty busy I would say!

shyte

after the usual opening 10-15 mins spell. weare pretty crap as an attacking force. Slow, ponderous and very dull.

the stats will say we had loads of shots. but how busy was guzan?

set pieces have been our get out all season. We are turning into stoke of a few years ago

I believe Pelle is a big part of that for the reasons I have given plenty of times in other threads

how he stays on the pitch constantly when he is a passenger os a joke

extra point towards 40, I guess

Davis my MoM

Wow ... Such insight without even going to the game. Shame you're just spouting ****e as usual.

Just not good enough against a very poor Villa side who had conceded 27 goals before today. Finishing awful again today so don't blame the manager although his tactics are a bit strange as are his substitutions. Where is the Koeman out thread?

But we have conceded 12 goals in the last 4 games which hardly puts us in better form than them.

The chances we created were snatched at except for Wanyama leaning back and side footing over the top. JWP pass to Guzan, Pelle diving header, sort of, were poor efforts otherwise we were always a bit late. The midfield is hopeless, if in the longer term we want to get better we have to get a couple of quick midfielders that can drive forward and support Pelle plus score a few goals. As long as they are here we can't afford Davis and JWP together in midfield, we are far too slow.

Romeu looked the part but seems more comfortable as a single holding player than in a pair. Juanmi was an improvement and looks a good footballer trying to fit in, nice to see him put his foot through the ball. Whatever we play, Mane needs to play up front closer to Pelle or Long. Maybe time for Juanmi to get more time. We were hardly threatened today by a really poor side. I hope Koeman gets it worked out before Palace and Spurs. More of the same won't work.

Just not good enough against a very poor Villa side who had conceded 27 goals before today. Finishing awful again today so don't blame the manager although his tactics are a bit strange as are his substitutions. Where is the Koeman out thread?

Thought are subs were good today one scored the equalizer and the other two gave us much needed energy as we went for the win.

The chances we created were snatched at except for Wanyama leaning back and side footing over the top. JWP pass to Guzan, Pelle diving header, sort of, were poor efforts otherwise we were always a bit late. The midfield is hopeless, if in the longer term we want to get better we have to get a couple of quick midfielders that can drive forward and support Pelle plus score a few goals. As long as they are here we can't afford Davis and JWP together in midfield, we are far too slow.

Romeu looked the part but seems more comfortable as a single holding player than in a pair. Juanmi was an improvement and looks a good footballer trying to fit in, nice to see him put his foot through the ball. Whatever we play, Mane needs to play up front closer to Pelle or Long. Maybe time for Juanmi to get more time. We were hardly threatened today by a really poor side. I hope Koeman gets it worked out before Palace and Spurs. More of the same won't work.

I wouldn't mind us trying a more counter attacking side at Palace maybe Long, Mane and Juanmi (who I thought looked decent when he came on today) playing across the front plenty of pace.

I wouldn't mind us trying a more counter attacking side at Palace maybe Long, Mane and Juanmi (who I thought looked decent when he came on today) playing across the front plenty of pace.

Plus play three in the middle not 4-2-3-1 with Romeu holding freeing Wanyama and possibly Davis/Tadic to get forward.

The second utterly terrible game of football I've done the journey for in a week.

We need a big change and we need it soon. Our midfield isn't good enough since losing Morgan, our right back is sketchy to say the least and we lack options up front.

1-1 against the worst side I've seen this season isn't good enough, and the worrying thing was it wasn't tactics it was lack of players that made that happen.

One positive was that the fans seem to have got some steel back. Second half was as good an atmosphere as there's been in a while, almost like we realised that we can't be passengers this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in from a very windy 180 mile drive home.

I thought we were poor. We are soooooooo slow. In passing, movement & Mane aside we lack any pace. We are very one dimensional & pretty average at best. Pelle, Tadic & JWP are pedestrian at the moment. It's like playing with eight. Wanyama isn't half the player he was last season. If we can get £20m for him I would take it.

We couldn't hit a barn door.

We need some pace, width & a real goal scorer in the summer. My fears are thus season will be mud table mediocrity at best.

Hate saying this, but Bojan & Shaqiri would walk into our team. Redmond, Janauzi, Townsend would all be better than Tadic. For 5 minutes each game he looks a player then he's a passenger. Again his delivery was either sublime or ridiculous.

Actually quite pleased youngest nipper is playing at Shrewsbury next Saturday so I can't go to Palace.

There was actually not too much wrong with how we played - we were let down by a lack of clinical finishing in front of goal.

Villa got lucky in that respect. Should have been 2 up in the first few minutes. Could have been 3 or 4 up by half time. I think this thread is unduly pessimistic, this result coming on the back of the Liverpool defeat and Villa being crap. Poor finishing not helped by fragile confidence. Contrast with Liverpool's finishing from a side high on confidence.

A word on the ref. Why didn't he at least book the Villa player that pulled back Pelle when through on goal? Should have been a yellow minimum.

Finally the blatant time wasting. Ok the ref booked Guzan but it was far too late to have had any impact. We see it every week at SMS. A new angle from the Villa, the fake head injury which gives the ref little option but to stop the game.

Poor goal just before half time again and it's cost us . The whole season we've conceded goals from our corners , we've gifted goals and we've conceded at poor times . I really think it's down to conplacency and lack of concentration . Things that the manager needs to drive into players . We're too nice , Rons too nice . It may have been what we needed last season but this season we need some rollickings thrown around . Worrying signs that Ron just doesn't demand enough or push the players quite enough imo .

Forget about missing chances , that happens . They were so poor that one goal is all it needs and we got that . I can just about take a Shelvey thunderbolt or a Delph one , which have cost us points in games we should have won . But that was a shocking goal to concede. We should have come off 1-0 , moaning about missing chances .

Steve Davis motm for me . Tadic good for 10 mins , Pelle showed some good movement down the channels first half but reverted to type the second . Jose looked dodgy to me today & Big Vic needs ****ing sorting out he's just going through the motions . Typical JWP performance , average yet again . All in all we looked an average aide , managed by an average manager. We're at a crossroads as all I can see is drift and that starts from Koeman. He needs to get into a few of them , kick some of them , knock them out of their comfort zone . The whole club needs to get a bit nastier .

Poor result but I thought the performance was decent - just lacking that confidence and finish in the final third. On another day we could have won by five. Stopped the rot of losses at least. I'm not as worried as I was.

This. If we had the confidence of Leicester, say, we would've won by 3 or 4 today.

Which reminds me, I'm jealous of Leicester. Amazing transformation from this time last year.

1. Why would we pay £8m for Austin in Jan when he is available for nothing in July?

2. Why would he sign for anyone in Jan rather than waiting to be a free agent in July? (He won't make the England squad for the Euros even if he plays in the PL)

3. Is he even that good? Or even what we need?

1. Why would we pay £8m for Austin in Jan when he is available for nothing in July?

2. Why would he sign for anyone in Jan rather than waiting to be a free agent in July? (He won't make the England squad for the Euros even if he plays in the PL)

3. Is he even that good? Or even what we need?

1) because we get him first

2) would you want to stay at QPR a minute longer than you had to (alright we would have to make it worth his while I'm sure)

3) 18 PL goals in a totally **** side last season is good enough for me the guy knows were the back of the net is.

I just can't understand why when we have such a great creative forward thinking midfield of wanyama, ward prowse and Davis that we looked so slow moving the ball forward.

You just aren't watching the game with any imagination. Try looking at it through a mirror and upside down. You'll see it as if with new eyes. Sorry, I meant through Koeman's eyes.

we were absolute sh1t today....slow moving the ball and worryingly lacking in pace and sharpness. Yet again it seems we lack the team spirit that has been there for the past few years, they almost play as if they don't know each other.

Wanyama was, yet again, dogsh1t....the number of times they had a free man in the middle was ridiculous and his passing is terrible. The long ball up to pelle is too predictable and teams come to SMS set up to deal with it. We need a plan b, we don't have one.

I agree with some other posters - something doesn't seem right within the team as they are definitely not playing to potential. Whatever it is I hope they sort it soon. Spurs and Arsenal will hammer us if we serve up the same dross to them.

If you take out the first dozen games from last season (assuming the mopo effect is real), it will be interesting to see what koemans record looks like.

Wanyama was, yet again, dogsh1t....the number of times they had a free man in the middle was ridiculous and his passing is terrible. The long ball up to pelle is too predictable and teams come to SMS set up to deal with it. We need a plan b, we don't have one.

We had a Plan B on Wednesday. That went well. Its time for Plans C, D and E.

1-0 down and it's not working, so first sub was like for like.

2nd sub again was like for like.

Change the system or do something different if it's not working.

Mane and Davis switch, Mane play in the hole behind Pelle, put Long on and go more attacking, Get the full backs higher up the pitch as Villa were dropping further and further back.

I'm sorry but the players are slowly losing confidence and it's showing badly because our management are starting to shows signs of weakness.

Today was crucial. At kick off chance of 6th now bottom half with tough tough games to come. I think we have enough good players to avoid relegation battle but think 14th is likely. Which wouldn't be good after finishing 7th. Boards lack of investment and selling anything that moves caught up Ruth us imo.