Saints Won, Watford 1.....Post match meltdown

Ohio Saint

I have a few comments to make about this match. I thought the team played well , but made some schoolboy errors. I also have a few comments to make about Romeu.

Quite clearly our players are far better individuals and much more talented on the ball than Watford's. But in terms of tactical nous we were beyond poor. Against 10 men we kept shooting from 30 yards and kept trying to get the ball into the box too early when we only had one body in there (or two max). This really highlights how the team needs to be taught how to play against one less man. I remember us playing West Ham with 9+ an injured Carroll and not managing to score due to lack of patience. We have to be more patience and raise the temperature and probe more against one less.

As for 11 vs 11 I thought Romeu in particularly was dreadful. I went with a group of people and the only real complaint was that Romeu was shockingly bad. He was completely off the pace. A couple of times dived in high up the park and was left for dead. Fell asleep on the goal. I find it perplexing that the likes of Clasie and Reed don't play over him. They are far better players and no one is going to convince me otherwise. The fact Puel didn't take him off at all worries me. He should have been hauled off at half time as he was by far and away the worst player on the park.

As for the formation.. To say I'm not convinced is an understatement. We don't have enough bodies in the box in front of goal. For example Ward-Prowse got hauled off, but came up with a moment of magic first half down the right and cut the ball back into a real danger area....99 times out of 100 that should be a goal. That was a brilliant bit of play by him.

Hello James

I have a few comments to make about this match. I thought the team played well , but made some schoolboy errors. I also have a few comments to make about Romeu.

Quite clearly our players are far better individuals and much more talented on the ball than Watford's. But in terms of tactical nous we were beyond poor. Against 10 men we kept shooting from 30 yards and kept trying to get the ball into the box too early when we only had one body in there (or two max). This really highlights how the team needs to be taught how to play against one less man. I remember us playing West Ham with 9+ an injured Carroll and not managing to score due to lack of patience. We have to be more patience and raise the temperature and probe more against one less.

As for 11 vs 11 I thought Romeu in particularly was dreadful. I went with a group of people and the only real complaint was that Romeu was shockingly bad. He was completely off the pace. A couple of times dived in high up the park and was left for dead. Fell asleep on the goal. I find it perplexing that the likes of Clasie and Reed don't play over him. They are far better players and no one is going to convince me otherwise. The fact Puel didn't take him off at all worries me. He should have been hauled off at half time as he was by far and away the worst player on the park.

As for the formation.. To say I'm not convinced is an understatement. We don't have enough bodies in the box in front of goal. For example Ward-Prowse got hauled off, but came up with a moment of magic first half down the right and cut the ball back into a real danger area....99 times out of 100 that should be a goal. That was a brilliant bit of play by him.

And this proves the subjectivity of football. I would say you are talking nonsense but I could very well be myself.

The three guys that I went with all agreed that aside from a few silly decisions, Romeu was controlling that midfield. He was the only one matching the physicality of the Watford players (along with VVD), he moved the ball well and tried to make things happen. He didn't have his best game by any stretch but there was plenty there for me to think that he will be a regular for us this season.

The one thing there is no debate about is how class Hojberg looked. Long may that continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this proves the subjectivity of football. I would say you are talking nonsense but I could very well be myself.

The three guys that I went with all agreed that aside from a few silly decisions, Romeu was controlling that midfield. He was the only one matching the physicality of the Watford players (along with VVD), he moved the ball well and tried to make things happen. He didn't have his best game by any stretch but there was plenty there for me to think that he will be a regular for us this season.

The one thing there is no debate about is how class Hojberg looked. Long may that continue.

Well I agree with your nonsense I thought Romeu hadn't a decent game.

The Watford goal was a collective failure IMO. Targett should have done better to stop the ball to Deeney, Cedric should have done better to stop Deeney's header and Yoshida should have come to challenge Capoue ( or failing that put his body on the line to block the shot).

Well I agree with your nonsense I thought Romeu hadn't a decent game.

The Watford goal was a collective failure IMO. Targett should have done better to stop the ball to Deeney, Cedric should have done better to stop Deeney's header and Yoshida should have come to challenge Capoue ( or failing that put his body on the line to block the shot).

I don't think Cedric should have been on Deeney. If We'd had Fonte organising the defence i'd hope him or Van Dijk would have been challenging for that header.

I don't think Cedric should have been on Deeney. If We'd had Fonte organising the defence i'd hope him or Van Dijk would have been challenging for that header.

It was open play. Having Cedric on Deeney was not a calculated decision, it was merely a result of Deeney pulling away to beyond the far post which is the area that Cedric will ordinarily cover. Although I did see Tadic marking Deeney from a corner at one point which I thought was odd.

a bit late with my comments but only got back last night after a longer holiday in So'ton, after watching the game with my son....and grandson. First time.

Sitting in the Itchen stand, I was glad when we got the ball out of our own half and came up our end, and thought we looked really shambolic with the new formation.

Thankfully the second half was a bit better, and we should have nailed down all 3 points with the number of opportunities we created late on ...against 10 men.

Watford maintained their reputation for " hard physical play " with Shane Long coming in for "special treatment " (as usual). Both he and Redmond looked a real threat.

Redmond will surely improve even more, but Puel must find an alternative for Austin / Jay Rod if they are to be used to their best potential.

Overall not a good day to see outstanding football skills, and we might say it was.....two points lost, but then again it was only the first (sweaty) game of the season.

Our first half dozen away games will show how good we might become as (last season) we dropped home points in games - even when we had more % possession.

An eventual "regular " start eleven might include Bertrand and Fonte (?)..and the RB spot will be "up for grabs" to the best candidate (as long as it's not Yoshida).