Saints 0 Watford 2 - Match & Meltdown

Secret Site Agent

Watching Match Of The Day, nearly all goals are scored one of 3 ways: from a quick ball in from the wing being met by a striker moving at the right time; by a threaded 20 or 30 yard pass from midfield, picking up a clever run from a forward; or from a set-piece. No other team tries to pass it into net, having left the opposition dizzy with the number of touches all over the pitch, like Spain of the last decade.

Saints' macramé football does not work, it allows too much time for the opposition to make a cup of tea, have a siesta and get back into defensive position. The worry is that the current squad can't play any other way; certainly they don't seem adept at scoring by any of the means of the other Premier League teams. As I wrote in a previous post, the squad won't be changing anytime soon. I am beginning to think that van Dijk playing up front isn't as daft as it sounds...

Take a bow, Saveloy Mush, quality comedy .... and true analysis. We are soooo slow, boring teams into falling asleep at the back.

Gentlemen, we lost a game of football, we lose games of football most seasons even when finishing 8,7,6,8 in consecutive seasons. It is not something new.

It certainly isn't new, but I've rarely seen such an appalling Saints' performance as the first 45 minutes on Saturday. In fairness the second half was better. It was terrible as opposed to ****ing terrible.

Is it Eric or further up though? JWP should have been loaned out to the Championship 2 years ago - 3 managers have played and dropped him. You have to ask why. Where is PEH?

Think the problem is with les reed. His inability to recognise what 30,000 saints fans can see that we lack goals from midfield and we need a decent striker to partner gabbi. He's the route of the problem and if he thinks the squad is good enough he's slightly deluded. Let's hope our manager comes good and results start to turn otherwise he's right in the firing line.

Well, is it safe on here yet? I'm not looking through 11 pages but I can imagine the content. It was depressing enough being there on Saturday, and I stayed to the bitter end, so I couldn't face the depressing stuff on here.

We seemed small, weak, slow and out-fought, with Watford picking up all the second balls, and having the temerity to actually shoot and from outside the box to boot. We've got enough skilled players to move the ball quickly but we didn't. We didn't support the man with the ball particularly when we attacked, there was a big gap between midfield and attack and no one made an effort to fill it, preferring to sit in front of defence. Finally, we didn't shoot! Just before the second goal I was commenting to a neighbour - 'This is exactly the sort of situation that brought them their first..' Bu**er!

We really have to improve against Palace, and I hope our internationals will return: Lemina for a bit of bite in midfield and, dare I say it, Yoshida for his decent pace and experience within our defence. I don't think VVD is ready yet. I shall try and help us win by going to my lucky pub to watch on the box...