Closed Corners

harvey

nickh, tell me where you were when you heard that Sturrock had been sacked and wigley was now our 'first team coach', did you think 'Wow a stroke of genius' ?

I know where I was, and I know that I thought that Wigley was surely a temporary measure at most. I bet you thought that was forward thinking and a bold appointment when eveyone else were holding their heads in their hands. Rupert Lowe is incompetent for that atleast........if that had been my decision I would have definatetly felt responsible for the clubs predicament atm.

No I questioned that decision. You have to recall the events of the time.RL had been branded a sacking chairman.He relieved Jones and got Hoddle who walked out.Gray was shown loyalty for the way he stayed at the club when GH wanted to take him to Spurs.

He took action and then appointed Strachan ,that was not universally approved, but did well we left.The press wwere now circling and saying RL was a sacking chairman, then we had Sturrock (the truth of his departure is still to come out) then Wigley again was rewarded for loyalty and was replaced with over 20 games left HR had plenty of time to get us safe.

The players had no backbone and gave away countless points from winning positions, thye are just as culpable as any body else.

It's not often I see a thread on here that gets me angry, but this one has.

Selfish sod as I said on TSF.

"I want to sit in the corner so I demand the Directors pay 200k".

I'm sorry you are in no way fit to be called a fan.

Here we are on the day that we are losing one of our bright hopes and best players, Andrew Davies because we cannot "allegedly" afford his wages.

Sorry mate but stuff you and your seat, if the Directors had 4k a week spare then we should be BEGGING them to put it towards HIS WAGES.

We are screwed, and can't keep our best hopes to 1) keep us up this season and 2) earn us big bucks next close season and you want the Board to pay for your seat.

Jeez, I have heard it all on here now

Have you really.......so where have you been the last few years DUBAI Phil ?

I see that you also have not read my reasons for thinking that certain people should feel obligated for putting their hands in their pockets.

I've got no problem whatsoever with paying for tickets etc, (****, I even dip my hand in my deep pockets for a round of drinks now and again).

If you don't understand what I'm trying to say then that's fair enough, I just think that some people should be held accountable for the position we are in (not the fans).

No I questioned that decision. You have to recall the events of the time.RL had been branded a sacking chairman.He relieved Jones and got Hoddle who walked out.Gray was shown loyalty for the way he stayed at the club when GH wanted to take him to Spurs.

He took action and then appointed Strachan ,that was not universally approved, but did well we left.The press wwere now circling and saying RL was a sacking chairman, then we had Sturrock (the truth of his departure is still to come out) then Wigley again was rewarded for loyalty and was replaced with over 20 games left HR had plenty of time to get us safe.

The players had no backbone and gave away countless points from winning positions, thye are just as culpable as any body else.

So Lowe never learnt from his first mistake with Gray......ergo incompetent, thankyou ;)

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why the directors of the company should be subsidising opening the corners with their own money. It's complete fantasy, in fact it is complete lunacy, to even suggest such a thing.

So it's their fault that they're closed in the first place, but they shouldn't be resposible for it.......yeah ?

So it's their fault that they're closed in the first place, but they shouldn't be resposible for it.......yeah ?

It doesn't even matter that the corners are closed any way. That's what I find most laughable about the whole thing.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why the directors of the company should be subsidising opening the corners with their own money. It's complete fantasy, in fact it is complete lunacy, to even suggest such a thing.

Oh so wrong! you would expect the directors to take the bonuses if the club is successful?

There was still a good atmoshpere from those next to the corners (okay not as good) but not the end of the world.

I was more gutted at having to fork out £4 to get me an my son over the itchen bridge and back (the bus I caught didn't advertise the return fare and the unhelpful driver did not mention this either)

I wish, nothing at all last night......not 1 number :(

:(............me neither...........life's a b1tch,init.....

i understand what youre saying about the corners Harvey, i really do,but in reality what would be the point of RL and MW paying for them to stay open if we can't even attract 19,000 supporters to the first home game of the season..

and as for the poster who said "well, dont forget it is still holiday season" or words to that effect........EVERY first home game since gawd knows when has taken place during "the holiday season", has it not???.......4 years ago we would've got a full house on the first day..............did no-one take holidays in August 4 years ago then ??.........flimsy excuse for non-attendence IMO .......

credit crunch, lost ya job,staying away coz of the board etc etc..now these are decent excuses.......(altho staying away coz of the board only serves to put the club in deeper do-do, so not the best reason for non-attendence IMHO)

And do you seriously think that if they were open we would have had thousands more fans for the game yesterday? We had less than 19,000 against Birmingham which is 13,500 down on our capacity. If fans had wanted to go there was loads of seats available without the corners available. The only ones at fault are the fickle fans.

I walked out today , not because of the game as I thought they played ok but fed up with no atmosphere, Rupert Lowe has done loads of crap things in peoples opinions which didnt really bother me but closing our stand and moving us is I think the last straw for some of our group. As someone posted earlier even if the footy is crap there was a chance to create an atmosphere. Also a post said that blocks 4-5 where good yesterday (Your avin a laugh mate)

I may be proved wrong and were gonna give it a few games so see if it changes-(We where trying to start songs BTW) Talking to a brummie in pub after-he said how good our support was top notch last year (One of the best he'd been too) and today said it was one of the worst (Although it was a 4-3 game the ithcen always made a noise no matter what the score or team) This only made me more angry as he was right-you dont just loose an atmosphere over night!!!!!

Not much really bothers me and our mates as we like just going out for a laugh-watch the footy and have a sing song and you will notice by my post rate that I dont normally bother to write on forums but felt I should back up the guy who started the post as I totally agree with him. Seasn ticket holder of 20 years now seriously ****ed off!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I've heard, it's more to do with the break-up of groups of friends.

then you ALL move to a section together and make 'new friends' with the people around you.......it's not rocket science FFS!!

is it just me or is that 'break-up of friends ' excuse sound like something you'd hear 6 year olds in a playground say???........grow up people...support your team.......

So Lowe never learnt from his first mistake with Gray......ergo incompetent, thankyou ;)

No doubt you were not keen with the appointments of WGS or Jones they both did ok. Gray and Wigley were both highly respected and wew were told that in football they were rated.

Both decisions were made and then they were replaced leaving plenty of time to right things.

Did RL give away 2 goal leads NO Did he miss an open goal from 6 yards away at WBA (That alone would have saved us if it had gone in) etc etc etc etc etc. RL was part of the disaster but the players and management were the biggest factor as their arrogance that they were too good to go down cost us.

If I were Rupert Lowe or Michael Wilde, I would be paying to keep these areas of the ground open, out of my own pocket. These people are millionaires btw

How do you imagine that people become millionaires in the first place? I doubt frittering away six figure sums every year enters the equation somehow....

I walked out today , not because of the game as I thought they played ok but fed up with no atmosphere, Rupert Lowe has done loads of crap things in peoples opinions which didnt really bother me but closing our stand and moving us is I think the last straw for some of our group. As someone posted earlier even if the footy is crap there was a chance to create an atmosphere. Also a post said that blocks 4-5 where good yesterday (Your avin a laugh mate)

I may be proved wrong and were gonna give it a few games so see if it changes-(We where trying to start songs BTW) Talking to a brummie in pub after-he said how good our support was top notch last year (One of the best he'd been too) and today said it was one of the worst (Although it was a 4-3 game the ithcen always made a noise no matter what the score or team) This only made me more angry as he was right-you dont just loose an atmosphere over night!!!!!

Not much really bothers me and our mates as we like just going out for a laugh-watch the footy and have a sing song and you will notice by my post rate that I dont normally bother to write on forums but felt I should back up the guy who started the post as I totally agree with him. Seasn ticket holder of 20 years now seriously ****ed off!!!!!!!!!!!

The Itchen corner were a good group of fans but for many most of the match they were looking at the oppo fans not the game. You must see that to poilice and steward such an area is costly. You are a committed fan ,do you think in our times of financial restraints that it is right to sacrifice the corner seating for the benoifit of our club?

It is not the clubs fault it is the fickle/plastic fans who cant be bothered to go and support Saints.The corners will open when the fans return.

No doubt you were not keen with the appointments of WGS or Jones they both did ok. Gray and Wigley were both highly respected and wew were told that in football they were rated.

No, no, no. You can't compare WGS/Jones (who had both managed before) to Gray/Wigley (who hadn't and were massive gambles always destined for failure).

Guest Hacienda
ffs, how hard is it to move a couple of rows to help the club save a few quid

Whilst I agree some fans have had a real issue with it.

Some of my mates sat in the Itchen Corner and all of them got a refund when asked to move. Only two of them went yesterday, the rest found better things to do.

For them, being told they had to move was the final straw with SFC.

The problem is, as I see it, is that once people are used not to spending mucho £££ on going to the football they then struggle to justify it in the future.

Whilst I agree some fans have had a real issue with it.

Some of my mates sat in the Itchen Corner and all of them got a refund when asked to move. Only two of them went yesterday, the rest found better things to do.

The problem is, as I see it, is that once people are used not to spending mucho £££ on going to the football they then struggle to justify it in the future.

thing is...it is over a couple of rows nothing more...im sure if we were top of the league fans would sit on the roof naked to watch the game

No, no, no. You can't compare WGS/Jones (who had both managed before) to Gray/Wigley (who hadn't and were massive gambles always destined for failure).
OK lets compare them with with the Liverpool bootroom. Untried managers Boothroyd and others.I didnt want either but I do understand why RL rewarded their loyalty.

Especially Gray as when we were in complete disaray he stayed when Hoddle tried to take him with him.Why not give a loyal servant a chance?

Guest Hacienda
thing is...it is over a couple of rows nothing more...im sure if we were top of the league fans would sit on the roof naked to watch the game

But we're not top of the league.

We're joint bottom, selling our best player for peanuts with an unpopular figure in the boardroom.

For some, being told that they had to move, despite backing the club with their season ticket money, was the final straw.

For one I would have moved.

OK lets compare them with with the Liverpool bootroom. Untried managers Boothroyd and others.I didnt want either but I do understand why RL rewarded their loyalty.

Especially Gray as when we were in complete disaray he stayed when Hoddle tried to take him with him.Why not give a loyal servant a chance?

you cant pick and choose who you compare them with...we were better than appointing crap like gray and wigley..AND sturrock...

I was embarrassed at all three appointments...especially when redknapp at west ham wanted to come here, david moyes wanted to come here...hoddle wanted to come back

what a joke

Because everyone knew they'd be f*cking useless. And they were.

I really don't get that attitude, in all honesty. What about those who have season tickets in block 42 and half of block 41, who get forced to move when we get a cup draw against a team who want to take the full 15% allocation?

I don't remember many people saying that was the final straw when they had to move for the ManYoo cup game in 2005...

The four point plan to keeping the corners open and making money:

Reduce ticket prices.

Get more people in on same ticket revenue.

More people there to spend money on refreshments, in club shop, etc.

Overall increase in revenue.

Rocket science, it is not. Financial sense, much more like it.

you cant pick and choose who you compare them with...we were better than appointing crap like gray and wigley..AND sturrock...

I was embarrassed at all three appointments...especially when redknapp at west ham wanted to come here, david moyes wanted to come here...hoddle wanted to come back

what a joke

Well we had a dose of Redknapp and Moyes was tipped the wink that Everton wanted him and so he stayed up north.

The 3 appoinments were not good but as I say I see why he did the 2 coachs. Considering you told us about Sturrock being so good at Plymouth Im surprised in you mentioning him

Well we had a dose of Redknapp and Moyes was tipped the wink that Everton wanted him and so he stayed up north.

The 3 appoinments were not good but as I say I see why he did the 2 coachs. Considering you told us about Sturrock being so good at Plymouth Im surprised in you mentioning him

sturrock was so good at plymouth in league 2 and league 1 playing crap football and getting them up...however, here in plymouth they love him as they had never been as high up in the football ladder as they were/are...

he is a crap manager even in the CCC and to take a league 1 manager to a team that had not long been in the UEFA cup was a joke, we should have rightly aimed a tad higher...ffs even the CCC would have been a tad higher....

you will see just how great sturrock is this season with his own plymouth team...he was also crud a sheff wed in this league too...

it makes me cringe when i look back at that appointment AND how it was done considering the noise we made about hoddle leaving for spurs

The four point plan to keeping the corners open and making money:

Reduce ticket prices.

Get more people in on same ticket revenue.

More people there to spend money on refreshments, in club shop, etc.

Overall increase in revenue.

Rocket science, it is not. Financial sense, much more like it.

It is so easy is it.Redcuce ticket prices, have you factored in the refunds to the 11000 s/t holders? I doubt you have.RL etc have been lumbered with the pricing they inherited.There is no room for manouver.I myself would accept paying more than a new pricing strategy to get more people into the ground but as we have a lot of fans who would complain that they were penalised it is not feasible

sturrock was so good at plymouth in league 2 and league 1 playing crap football and getting them up...however, here in plymouth they love him as they had never been as high up in the football ladder as they were/are...

he is a crap manager even in the CCC and to take a league 1 manager to a team that had not long been in the UEFA cup was a joke, we should have rightly aimed a tad higher...ffs even the CCC would have been a tad higher....

you will see just how great sturrock is this season with his own plymouth team...he was also crud a sheff wed in this league too...

it makes me cringe when i look back at that appointment AND how it was done considering the noise we made about hoddle leaving for spurs

Valid points

then you ALL move to a section together and make 'new friends' with the people around you.......it's not rocket science FFS!!

is it just me or is that 'break-up of friends ' excuse sound like something you'd hear 6 year olds in a playground say???........grow up people...support your team.......

We are talking about independent adults who have a choice what they do with their own money, not sheep to be herded into another enclosure. We need every paying customer that we can find.

It is so easy is it.Redcuce ticket prices, have you factored in the refunds to the 11000 s/t holders? I doubt you have.RL etc have been lumbered with the pricing they inherited.There is no room for manouver.I myself would accept paying more than a new pricing strategy to get more people into the ground but as we have a lot of fans who would complain that they were penalised it is not feasible

I'm more than aware of the season ticket holder situation, and yes, it would still work if you take rebates into account.

The other option of course is to give them a nice little discount when renewing next year, to compensate for the match day ticket reductions this year.

Still keeps the current revenue from season ticket sales this year, and at a very nice price would encourage a high percentage to renew next year.

I'm more than aware of the season ticket holder situation, and yes, it would still work if you take rebates into account.

The other option of course is to give them a nice little discount when renewing next year, to compensate for the match day ticket reductions this year.

Still keeps the current revenue from season ticket sales this year, and at a very nice price would encourage a high percentage to renew next year.

The club could not afford to reduce early bird prices futher next year.

Im not the person who would complain anyway, remember the free bus thing then multiply that a few thousand times.

I would welcome the club to take therinitiative but many wouldnt

Guest Hacienda
I really don't get that attitude, in all honesty. What about those who have season tickets in block 42 and half of block 41, who get forced to move when we get a cup draw against a team who want to take the full 15% allocation?

I don't remember many people saying that was the final straw when they had to move for the ManYoo cup game in 2005...

Not saying that they are right, but there is no doubt that for them it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Just don't have stewards

or groundstaff, im sure a few volunteer fans who are at a loose end at half time could replace divots etc,....what about ticket office staff, surely that could be computerised n run by robots or something.........matchday catering staff,everyone could help themselves to food and be trusted to pay the correct amount into an 'honesty' box.............

Now, any more ****ing ridiculous ideas SS ???? :smt102

Edited by saint boggy

or groundstaff, im sure a few volunteer fans who are at a loose end at half time could replace divots etc,....what about ticket office staff, surely that could be computerised n run by robots or something.........matchday catering staff,everyone could help themselves to food and be trusted to pay the correct amount into an 'honesty' box.............

Now, any more ****ing ridiculous ideas SS ???? :smt102

Well having no stewards would save me a lot of stress and angst, the council would close the stadium down and we wouldnt have any games.

I just wish they would keep the Itchen north open. It was always sold out and created a lot of the atmosphere.

i never went into the itchen north , but i too think it was a mistake to close this..........let's hope that the 'fans' start coming back and so the club are forced to re-open up the corners (or at least th I.N. corner)

i never went into the itchen north , but i too think it was a mistake to close this..........let's hope that the 'fans' start coming back and so the club are forced to re-open up the corners (or at least th I.N. corner)

Unfortunately, from a cost perspective, that would be the last corner they would re-open.