Weekend 25-26 Aug - Other Games

Batman

Fare assessment, and one I wouldn't disagree with, but the next step for Poch is to win something. Ultimately this is how managers are judged, and it shouldn't be beyond Spurs to be winning the FA or Carabao cup. Having said that, even if he fails to do that, so long as he keeps them relatively high I can see his next job as another step up.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Well Real Madrid were clearly interested him in the summer, so it’s safe to assume that barring some disaster, his next job will be a step up.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/world-cup-2018-spain-julen-lopetegui-real-madrid-tottenham-mauricio-pochettino-a8398021.html

Apart from the keeper, he played a full side and had home advantage against yesterdays man in the FA cup semi final, and Jose schooled him.

What would his fan boys say if he’d won Europa league, League cup & finished second in his first 2 seasons, they’d be elevating him to legend status. The fact these things are considered failure for Jose sums it up.

And I would argue that MP has a better squad (or at least first 11), one of the best Spurs have had for decades. He's a decent but no means world class manager.

JM on the other hand is world class in winning trophies, whining, and getting the sack (and massive payoff) when he decides he wants off.

Apart from the keeper, he played a full side and had home advantage against yesterdays man in the FA cup semi final, and Jose schooled him.

What would his fan boys say if he’d won Europa league, League cup & finished second in his first 2 seasons, they’d be elevating him to legend status. The fact these things are considered failure for Jose sums it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but Mourinho did it with Manchester United. There’s no doubt he is a better tactician but Pochettino turned Tottenham from a side that hoped to get close to the top four once in a while to one that is considered a contender for the title in the last few years. He has also spent very little money.

God I wish he had failed at Spurs, but not sure it’s a fair comparison to make with Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola in terms of success.

Yes but Mourinho did it with Manchester United.

God I wish he had failed at Spurs, but not sure it’s a fair comparison to make

Let’s make a comparison with 40 year old Jose with 40 year old Poch then.

One won the UEFA cup, followed by The champions league with Porto. That’s why he got the major jobs, that was his “in” to the elite level.

The other has won **** all.

Let’s make a comparison with 40 year old Jose with 40 year old Poch then.

One won the UEFA cup, followed by The champions league with Porto. That’s why he got the major jobs, that was his “in” to the elite level.

The other has won **** all.

I’m not disputing that Mourinho was probably one point (and maybe for a number of years), the best manager in the world.

My original point was not that Pochettino is the best out there, just that people often use the fact Spurs haven’t won anything as a stick to beat him with, forgetting that the only reason they are expected to now is because of the work he has done there.

Klopp doesn’t get anywhere near the same criticism, and yet he has also failed to win anything.

I’m not disputing that Mourinho was probably one point (and maybe for a number of years), the best manager in the world.

My original point was not that Pochettino is the best out there, just that people often use the fact Spurs haven’t won anything as a stick to beat him with, forgetting that the only reason they are expected to now is because of the work he has done there.

Klopp doesn’t get anywhere near the same criticism, and yet he has also failed to win anything.

You do realise that Spurs have been finishing top 6 before Mopo arrived? 5 consecutive years before he arrived in fact and pretty dominate top 6 finishes since 2005.

In the 80s they had 7 top 6 finishes, so this is nothing new for them.

They've won the league, the FA cup multiple times, league cup, eufa cup ect ect ect

We are not talking about a miracle here with a tin pot club.

We are talking about a Spurs squad valued over a BILLION £'s

You do realise that Spurs have been finishing top 6 before Mopo arrived? 5 consecutive years before he arrived in fact and pretty dominate top 6 finishes since 2005.

In the 80s they had 7 top 6 finishes, so this is nothing new for them.

They've won the league, the FA cup multiple times, league cup, eufa cup ect ect ect

We are not talking about a miracle here with a tin pot club.

We are talking about a Spurs squad valued over a BILLION £'s

When did Tottenham last challenge for the title before Pochettino arrived?

There's also something to be said for developing players. Quite a lot of the players that have been termed 'top class' were not considered that before he arrived (Danny Rose, for one, although he has been off form recently). Sure, it might be that their inevitable development just happened to coincide with his tenure, but although they might have a squad worth a billion, it wasn't worth a billion when he joined, nor have they spent a billion. Compare that to Klopp, who might now finally win something at Liverpool, after signing Alisson, Keita, van Dijk, Fabinho, Salah and a whole bunch of others for goodness knows how much money.

As I've already said, I'm not claiming Pochettino is the greatest manager in the world or even in the league, and I agree that there is something to be said about a team's ability to win when it really matters, which so far Spurs haven't done. BUT I think the argument that "Spurs have such a good team" misses the point that that is largely down to him (even though I'm reluctant to credit him for Kane turning into a goal machine, that is a key slice of good fortune). And I also find it strange how Pochettino gets a lot of this criticism while Jurgen Klopp gets very little. They are similar situations, except Liverpool have had more success recently, are an even bigger club, and have spent lots more money.

Klopp's has already won the Bundesliga twice (and reached a CL final with Dortmund). That's what his reputation rests on - not the jumping around on the touchline stuff. I get that lots of people dislike him, but at their peak his Dortmund team were absolutely superb and didn't cost a fortune to put together.

Klopp's has already won the Bundesliga twice (and reached a CL final with Dortmund). That's what his reputation rests on - not the jumping around on the touchline stuff. I get that lots of people dislike him, but at their peak his Dortmund team were absolutely superb and didn't cost a fortune to put together.

I was talking about his time at Liverpool. Fair enough if you think his achievements at Dortmund have earned him more time/understanding.

My best mate is a Spurs fan, and says that for him, seeing them beat Real Madrid in the Champions League feels like a bigger sign of progress than winning the Carabao Cup, and also better in terms of an experience/memory. I can understand this view even if I don't totally agree with it - while the League Cup final was one of the best days as a Saints fan, so too was beating (and even losing to) Inter Milan.

My best mate is a Spurs fan, and says that for him, seeing them beat Real Madrid in the Champions League feels like a bigger sign of progress than winning the Carabao Cup, and also better in terms of an experience/memory.

How did he feel when they were 1-0 up at home to Juve having drawn 2-2 in the away leg, and then bottled it. Probably the same way he felt when they bottled the semi final at home, and came 3rd in a 2 horse race behind Leicester & Arsenal. He’s made them less Spursy, but they’re still bottlers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk