The Gao Thread

sadoldgit

3 hours ago, SFC Forever said:

For all his lack of spending Gao has not hurt us as much as previous tenants/owners of the club. 

We now have what appears to be a very sound structure in place running our club. Long may we keep this structure going.

Would be nice if every now and then the chairman put his hand in his pocket tho esp when we are very close to being a very good team that is let down by a poor(ish) squad.

hey ho to nick a talkingheads lyric - same as it ever was

Edited by Toadhall Saint

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

I dont disagree with you and i'd rather we had someone else. However what we have now is a strong leadership structure, the best manager we've had for ages, an identity as a club which had gone since Koeman went and people righting the wrongs of the Kruger era. Getting rid of him, Reed and Wilson (okay i know the transfer guru was poached by Rangers but he was a disaster) has only be a good thing. The structure now in place is much better than it's been for years. Goa isn't responsible for signing Diallo, Ings, Walker-Peters, but he isn't responsible for signing Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo etc either, that was down to the incompetence of others here at the start of his regime, who thankfully he's got rid off. 

I agree with what you say. I do like the leadership at the club (Martin, Ralph etc) but they can only work with what the owner provides. The local leadership and the manager have done wonders with the tools at their disposal. The start we had was a total false position and I think some people got carried away with that, where we are now is probably our ceiling. If we finish any higher than 10th then that deserves plaudits, would be a great achievement. 

My problem with Gao, and even Kat, is their silence. Of course, I don't want a lunatic owner who wants to change our name to Solent FC, but I do want an owner who at least communicates with fans and shares their plans and their ideas. Gao doesn't even have a 'Cortese' type who is his voice, he just isn't involved at all...and because of that It feels like we are just floating around with no real plan. Where are we going?

Investment would be welcomed, of course, but I think in part we need to thank Les and Woss for their criminal waste of £80m of VVD money. But, I'd still hope for an engaged owner to at least give us a tiny bit of flexibility in the market. We seem to struggle to get a loan in without moving someone out first. We act like a club which is on the brink of financial collapse, which we may well be, but how would we know? We don't have an owner with any reassuring messages to fall back on.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

I thought for a while that was supposed to be Nelly Gao ?(the superstar social media influencer and worldwide jewelry mogul)

True, there was that chatter for a while. Her and KL had quite a strong relationship or something. But again, I don't think I've ever heard Nelly speak? certainly no statements.

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

True, there was that chatter for a while. Her and KL had quite a strong relationship or something. But again, I don't think I've ever heard Nelly speak? certainly no statements.

Think she spoke once at one of the club's Q&A sessions as an introduction. Credit to her for the attempt but it certainly sounded as if still in the beginners stage, contrary to reports when the Gao's first arrived and suggestion was that was proficient in English.

• 7 months later...
20 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Fears of an imminent banking crisis in China. I wonder if there will be any knock-on to China-backed clubs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58579833

No money to take out and very little in the way of assets that could be easily stripped. Couldn’t pay us any less attention so think we should be safe.

Only concern would be a cut price sale to terrible owner, although we have the fit and proper person test to protect us from that!

20 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

No money to take out and very little in the way of assets that could be easily stripped. Couldn’t pay us any less attention so think we should be safe.

Only concern would be a cut price sale to terrible owner, although we have the fit and proper person test to protect us from that!

Fit and proper 😂