Pelanties - change the rules?

benjii

Should pelanties in the course of a match be the same as in a shoot-out?

Ben Foster just made a brilliant pelanty save but couldn't prevent the rebound going straight to Sterling, who slotted it in (fnar).

Does allowing play to continue from rebounds favour the attacking team too much? 

Edited by benjii

nah - balls in play. same as direct free kicks etc. In some respects why shouldnt you favour the team thats been fouled in the box and denied the opportunity to score. In other respects it doesnt even really favour the attackers, there's as many of them as defenders on the pitch.  That said if it happens against us ill be all for it 😄

18 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

I suppose theoretically you could ban the penalty taker from scoring the rebound. Anyone know any stats of successful conversion of rebounds?? 

That's what I was wondering. It's probably not significant enough to matter but I just felt really sorry for Forster just now.

Yeah Foster was really unlucky there wasn't he. 

Of course as every "You are the ref" fan would know, if the ball had come back off the woodwork rather than the goalie, then it would have been disallowed because no other player would have touched the ball between Sterling's 2 shots.

I'd go a few steps further and introduce how they used to do it in the MLS in the 70's (?) Attacking player starts with the ball at the half way line and has something like 10 seconds to score, 30 yard thunderbastard, around the keeper, whatever. Much more entertaining.