Managers

LaptopSaint

The fact that Poch and Koeman seem to be the front runners to take over at Barca shows a) how well we did for a few years and b) how inexplicable it was that we tried to replace them with Claude Puel, Mauricio Pellegrino and Mark Hughes. 

But somehow we dodged three bullets. Thank God we now have Ralph whose previous team are one crunching tackle on Neymar away from the Champions League final.

I can’t think of any manager I’d prefer to have at the moment.  Anyone else?

• Like 2

I thought the link with Ralph was probably too good to be true when it was first mooted ( remembering the Tuchel link after Puel left). It was a brilliant appointment and with his recent record at Leipzig before leaving I'd have expected him to move to a bigger club (Europa League at least). 

Not sure who was responsible for bringing him in, Reed left shortly after so not him. Krueger ? 

I hope he's around for a few more seasons to build his team. The big challenge will be keeping him on board with the 'project', and to do that we'll need to show progress in the transfer market in retiaining the players he wants to keep, and bringing others in. Remains to be seen if those running the club, and in particular the owner can match his ambition.

Of other managers, I'd have liked Tuchel in 2017 but he's now out of our reach, and in any event does seem to fall out with clubs. Rangnick has been the footballing brain at Leipzig and could have been a good option, but don't see that happening even if RH were to leave.

No other managers I'd prefer. Just hope Ralph stays with us and gets the opportunity to build something. 

• Like 3

I think and hope that Ralph is the goods, long term. I believe he has written in the lockdown a coaching guide for all levels of the club so that junior to senior are all being trained in the same style. I believe he is building a squad in his own image, in other words it will be his team and he has built it. I believe he knows the financial limitations and is ready to work within them. He knows it will take a few seasons to remove dead wood, but he  started last summer and is continuing this summer. I believe we are in for  a good season and a better one the year after that. Let's just hope Southampton suits his family. 

On 15/08/2020 at 09:24, LaptopSaint said:

The fact that Poch and Koeman seem to be the front runners to take over at Barca shows a) how well we did for a few years and b) how inexplicable it was that we tried to replace them with Claude Puel, Mauricio Pellegrino and Mark Hughes. 

But somehow we dodged three bullets. Thank God we now have Ralph whose previous team are one crunching tackle on Neymar away from the Champions League final.

I can’t think of any manager I’d prefer to have at the moment.  Anyone else?

spacer.png

Koeman to Barcelona is a bit like Alan Ball to us back in '93.

I remember how excited everyone got about him coming and he was seen as a saviour even though his actual management career was nothing particularly special. And he was great of course.

Any other manager with Koeman's record would get nowhere near the Barcelona job. It's just a bit of romance for them.

Also, ginger. 

• Like 1