One reason to be at least a little bit hopeful

NewYorkSaint

Like everyone, I'm pretty bummed at many aspects of this season, or at least of the 2021 part of it.  

But one thing, to me, is markedly different than most of the time under Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes. Namely...

We have played a LOT of really pleasing-to-watch football.  Fast, crisp moves from one penalty box to the other. Fast decision-making. Beautiful flicks. Determined running...  And accompanied by an impressive ability to win back the ball quickly. 

Now admittedly... it's usually been only in the first half of games. And it hasn't resulted in nearly enough goals (except when one D. Ings has been on song). And it's been accompanied by far too much defensive frailty.

But still. It has often been beautiful to watch.   vs. several seasons when far too many games were simply... bland, boring.

Clearly we have some big things to fix.  But I personally believe the core fundamentals are there.   

So I choose to go into the summer holding onto hope.

Specifically, I hope we can solidify our defense, hang onto Danny, continue to develop Tella and Salisu and Armstrong (who's had an incredible year) and bring in at least one super-exciting player with the robustness to thrive in the premier league. 

And I hope we find a buyer who understands the club's potential and bring some smiles back.  Happy summer, everyone.

I find it hard to describe many points of this season beautiful to be honest.

If we're doing beautiful flicks but still losing 5, 9, 4-0's then I don't really give a shit, to be frank.

I'd say cut that shit out and get back to basics and get some actual 1-1's or 1-0's on the board before they start with the beautiful football crap.

It kind of sums out our team really, can look pretty through the middle thirds where it doesn't really matter, but at the business ends - i.e where your money is earned and your points are gained - we are pathetically bad, and that's all that matters really, no matter how many flicks we make.

• Like 3

Whilst I appreciate the optimism, playing 20 minutes of decent football per game is of little use when only one of your players is remotely clinical enough and your defensive shape/individual mistakes lead to conceding 5 more goals than the team that finished bottom of the league. 

• Like 2

You can show me all the beautiful football, flicks and tricks that you want.  The bottom line is they're worthless unless you end up with the points.  I'd rather watch 'Burnley style' with points at the end than our tippy tappy, sideways, backwards no points system. 

• Like 1

If there’s a silver lining to this season, it will be that after consecutive bad seasons since the Puel, somebody in a leadership position will be honest and say we need significant work and probably some genuine changes in the football department. Each of the last goodness know how many seasons, it has been the same from whatever manager, CEO/MD/Chairman whatever we have had... “we will work hard and learn, we will better next year” well blah blah fucking blah.
Silver lining will be some serious honesty behind the scenes and big big changes. Regardless of the owner, the place is clearly a mess. 

Can't think of a single positive to look forward to.

The thoughts of watching crap like Minamino, Redmond, Djneppo and Walcott again next season is not exactly exciting.

We have a very poor squad with a very poor manager.  His stubbornness and idiocy around GKs sums it all up.  Forster is head and shoulders the #1 yet he rotates them and McCarthy has been atrocious 2nd half of the season.

Quite literally nothing to look forward to as far as Saints are concerned - the pathetic FA Cup Semi sums up all that is wrong about Saints.  Spineless, gutless and awful tactics

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Can't think of a single positive to look forward to.

The thoughts of watching crap like Minamino, Redmond, Djneppo and Walcott again next season is not exactly exciting.

We have a very poor squad with a very poor manager.  His stubbornness and idiocy around GKs sums it all up.  Forster is head and shoulders the #1 yet he rotates them and McCarthy has been atrocious 2nd half of the season.

Quite literally nothing to look forward to as far as Saints are concerned - the pathetic FA Cup Semi sums up all that is wrong about Saints.  Spineless, gutless and awful tactics

Sadly, have to agree with every word you've written