Ryder Cup

trousers

The course - Whistling Straits - was a Pete Dye brute. Pretty to look at but very tough and that’s without any real wind off Lake Michigan. If you overshot the greens on some of the holes, it was computer game-like with 45 degree shots up sheer banks blind to the pin. 

Ryder Cups are a bit like cricket where home pitches are prepared to suit their players and conditions. Started by GB (GB&I after early 70s) in 1957 where the US were not used to the collars of rough around the greens. Will be interesting to see how Rome sets up in 2023. 

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

The course - Whistling Straits - was a Pete Dye brute. Pretty to look at but very tough and that’s without any real wind off Lake Michigan. If you overshot the greens on some of the holes, it was computer game-like with 45 degree shots up sheer banks blind to the pin. 

Ryder Cups are a bit like cricket where home pitches are prepared to suit their players and conditions. Started by GB (GB&I after early 70s) in 1957 where the US were not used to the collars of rough around the greens. Will be interesting to see how Rome sets up in 2023. 

I don’t see us winning it back anytime soon even with home advantage. US have freakishly good crop of golfers at the moment and seem a united team - that was our main advantage, Europe pulled together and US stars didn’t.

• Like 1