Are we a better team when JWP isn’t in it?

Dman

His best performance of the season so far IMO, back to more what was seen regularly last season. Thought his passes were more progressive when it was on, recycled possession well, was always wanting to the ball and his work rate, interceptions and general tackling/harrying caused Villa all sorts of problems.  I feel like a lot of our fans might admire someone like McGinn, but I think JWP showed tonight who the better player is. 

Also key point someone above said, JWP is a very intelligent footballer and has been praised by multiple managers for carrying out their instructions on the pitch, he does the role Ralph asks him to and is basically the manager on the pitch. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

Give the decent volume of criticism I watched JWP carefully yesterday to see if any of it was justified. So it wasn’t all good - corners were average and a couple of times he gave the ball away in dangerous areas. But overall I thought he was excellent. I saw more forward than sideways passing, including a superb cross field ball on a sixpence for KWP. Great technique and shot for a very good save, good free kick finding Adams head for another excellent save. A couple of crucial tackles and interceptions, and hard running and closing down throughout. I was looking out for the much accused slowing everything down and square balls, and he did a lot more of that in the 2nd half which was sensible as we were being overrun. In injury time he bought a cheap foul from Villa reducing pressure further.

I know this is one game, but I think this was his performance level throughout last year. So my position hasn’t changed - he is a massive asset to this team and we should do everything we can to keep him.

BTW even the goal came from his forward pass to Adams ! (Although it was a bit of a long ball)

• Like 4

Ralph, the manager, has made him captain and plays him every chance he gets.

The England manager now picks him on a pretty regular basis for the England squad and a sometimes starter in the 11

Opta data seems to largely bear out his quality as a top midfield performer

Based on the above, I think it's fair to say most people who know what they're talking about would think our below mid table premier league team is better off with him in it

In my opinion, it is very likely he will be playing elsewhere within 18 months as he is also coveted by others outside this forum and our club. So those of you who think he is pony are likely to get your wish soon enough......with the benefit of hindsight i suspect those individuals will get to look back at a later date and realise they were very wrong

• Like 5