Are we a better team when JWP isn’t in it?

Dman

I think we are. He’s very good at retaining the ball, but he’s far too slow on the ball and slows our attacks down. 

Looking forward to seeing how Diallo develops with a run of games next to Romeu. 

Discuss…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Given before today he hasnt missed a PL game since late 2018 I don't understand how you can make such a conclusion unless it is based upon literally 1 (one) game?

Well it’s only taken 1 game for me to decide that we’re better with Broja up top than we are championship strikers in Adams and Armstrong. 

But no, not 1 game. Diallo has played enough for me to decide he better at getting us up the pitch quicker than Prowsey and obviously we need Romeu Or we’re way to lightweight. 

No we are not. I get the question as for whatever reason this season he has been average so far, but he is proven quality and has carried us at times. Diallo and Romeu have more limitations.  Agree on Broja though - he’s got qualities Armstrong and Adams will never have.

13 minutes ago, Dman said:

Well it’s only taken 1 game for me to decide that we’re better with Broja up top than we are championship strikers in Adams and Armstrong. 

A dreadful take in a thread which is already a dreadful take, that takes some doing. 

No we are not better without jwp, if anything for a holding midfielder keeping a clean sheet at City is more impressive than against a depleted Leeds. Even if his strikers did finish a chance in one and not the other. 

Also Adams and Armstrong aren't championship quality and Broja scoring one tap in put on a plate for him doesn't make him better than either of them. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Great sample size to be able to suggest that hypothesis... 

My answer is too early to judge against an injury plagued Leeds side at home.

However, I get the feeling that as last seasons injury proved, Romeu really is the more important midfielder as we have no proper like for like replacement, whereas Diallo can slot in seamlessly for JWP.

What can't be argued is we didn't miss JWP yesterday - perhaps the free kick Redmond hit the wall with.    The big difference with the Romeu/Diallo combination yesterday was the speed of ball movement both showed; less sideways and backwards passing and both, particularly Diallo showed a willingness to drive forward with ball at feet.   It made for a different pattern of midfield, irrespective of Leeds limitations.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, austsaint said:

What can't be argued is we didn't miss JWP yesterday - perhaps the free kick Redmond hit the wall with.    The big difference with the Romeu/Diallo combination yesterday was the speed of ball movement both showed; less sideways and backwards passing and both, particularly Diallo showed a willingness to drive forward with ball at feet.   It made for a different pattern of midfield, irrespective of Leeds limitations.

bednarek ran with the ball, so did Salisu..  it was a weak leeds team that would likely get relegated from championship 1 - 0 is an ok result...... should have been far more..

We played better at City.......

we didng miss him, but we wouldnt have missed the goalkeeper either.

I thought Diallo was motm yesterday and should play more. And I still think this is a ridiculous thread.

Im glad we might not miss him too much in these three games but it’s 20-30 years since football was about 1-11. He’s captain, the best free kick taker in the league, and a critical part of the squad. Pleased we have 3 good central midfielders

9 hours ago, TWar said:

A dreadful take in a thread which is already a dreadful take, that takes some doing. 

No we are not better without jwp, if anything for a holding midfielder keeping a clean sheet at City is more impressive than against a depleted Leeds. Even if his strikers did finish a chance in one and not the other. 

Also Adams and Armstrong aren't championship quality and Broja scoring one tap in put on a plate for him doesn't make him better than either of them. 

Correct, it doesn’t. However, he is clearly better than Adam’s. Armstrong is a completely different type of player and he needs time to settle into his role so the jury is out for me at this point.

Broja just adding some height in a relatively small side and the strength to hold the ball up is worth his inclusion alone. Love his ability to spin off his man and use his pace to get ahead his marker particularly in the channels. 

first player on the team sheet closely followed by Salisu IMO.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Correct, it doesn’t. However, he is clearly better than Adam’s. Armstrong is a completely different type of player and he needs time to settle into his role so the jury is out for me at this point.

Broja just adding some height in a relatively small side and the strength to hold the ball up is worth his inclusion alone. Love his ability to spin off his man and use his pace to get ahead his marker particularly in the channels. 

first player on the team sheet closely followed by Salisu IMO.

Massively disagree with this, he got one tap in at Leeds, had a brilliant 15 mins as a sub and a woeful 90 mins against championship opposition. No where near clearly better than Adams for me. Hasn't shown any of Adams' skill with passing, positional awareness, or strength to bully players off the ball.

His height is a great strength, as is his ability to spin markers (although Che does that well too) but he is more of an option for me than a first name on the team sheet. First names for me should be 1) JWP, 2) Salisu, and 3) Livramento

JWP needs to moved higher up the pitch, let’s start playing to his strengths - pressing from the front, setting the tempo. 

Personally I’ve been fed up for at least a year with how much he slows down our play from a 6, and this sluggishness on the ball has definitely been one of the main reasons for being so poor the past year.

So refreshing actually seeing Saints move the ball quickly again, it made such a difference to our play.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TWar said:

Why is Armstrong not Championship quality what has he done to make you think he is PL quality

I would suggest that Broja is going to be PL quality and so do Chelsea yesterday was his first Pl start

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Massively disagree with this, he got one tap in at Leeds, had a brilliant 15 mins as a sub and a woeful 90 mins against championship opposition. No where near clearly better than Adams for me. Hasn't shown any of Adams' skill with passing, positional awareness, or strength to bully players off the ball.

His height is a great strength, as is his ability to spin markers (although Che does that well too) but he is more of an option for me than a first name on the team sheet. First names for me should be 1) JWP, 2) Salisu, and 3) Livramento

If you call that a tap in that's an opinion you are entitled to. I saw a player take up a good position to receive a pass then cooly lift the ball high into the roof of the net to avoid the goalkeeper's attempted block. Going on his record I am convinced Che would have smashed it hard straight at the keeper and that is my opinion to which I am entitled.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Tap in?! Firmino’s goals were tap ins. That was a great finish

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dman said:

I think we are. He’s very good at retaining the ball, but he’s far too slow on the ball and slows our attacks down. 

Looking forward to seeing how Diallo develops with a run of games next to Romeu. 

Discuss…

Not only is JWP ponderous on the ball but when he is playing there seems to be a team instruction to always feed the ball to him, a tactic that virtually ensures that nearly every attack is brought to a halt while JWP works out which is the safest next pass to make, usually sideways or backwards. Meanwhile oppo's defenders have taken up position in their trenches. He is a very slow thinker.

What was revealing yesterday was without these constraints our midfield play was much more fluid and inventive and often caught their defenders well out of position. One obvious benefit was how much more effective Redmond became by not always having to run at a brick wall.

Luckily Ralph has form when it come to not changing a winning team so if we can do a repeat of yesterday on Burnley & Watford the chances are we can have a month without Ward Prowse to see how that goes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not only is JWP ponderous on the ball but when he is playing there seems to be a team instruction to always feed the ball to him, a tactic that virtually ensures that nearly every attack is brought to a halt while JWP works out which is the safest next pass to make, usually sideways or backwards. Meanwhile oppo's defenders have taken up position in their trenches. He is a very slow thinker.

What was revealing yesterday was without these constraints our midfield play was much more fluid and inventive and often caught their defenders well out of position. One obvious benefit was how much more effective Redmond became by not always having to run at a brick wall.

Luckily Ralph has form when it come to not changing a winning team so if we can do a repeat of yesterday on Burnley & Watford the chances are we can have a month without Ward Prowse to see how that goes.

So how many times did diallo pass forward against leeds? How many yards did that amazing amount of forward passes cover? Less than the length of the pitch? Or more? Did he manage to pass forward more than backwards? Sidewards? Was yesterday's attacking performance not because the forwards turned up? Eg redmond who i thought was the best performance ive seen from him... Elly? Was pretty good also, i see all this praise for diallo and yet i am struggling to think of any thing he did that stood out, taking away his defensive error. Dont get me wrong, the team played very well, all did, am not saying diallo was bad, he wasnt, i thought he was very good, but i cant picture the game only finishing 1-0 had jwp had been playing... Even more so when i think of the redmond free kick that hit the wall in jwps sweet spot.. 

Every one can have an opinion though, i agree diallo played well, but dissagree we are better with out jwp.

3 hours ago, John B said:

Why is Armstrong not Championship quality what has he done to make you think he is PL quality

If you score 28 goals in the championship then you are above that level and need to try your hand at the next one. He has been fine so far, has scored a goal, gotten an assist, and won a pen. He is new to the league and the team and has looked absolutely fine for me with limited service. Calling him championship quality is very very harsh. And calling Adams championship quality is ridiculous too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

If you call that a tap in that's an opinion you are entitled to. I saw a player take up a good position to receive a pass then cooly lift the ball high into the roof of the net to avoid the goalkeeper's attempted block. Going on his record I am convinced Che would have smashed it hard straight at the keeper and that is my opinion to which I am entitled.

I personally think the ball coming to you unmarked in the centre of the goal, along the ground, at a good pace, to your preferred foot, about 10 yards out, and with just the keeper to beat is about as easy a finish as it comes except a literal open goal. He did finish it well but I think Adams and Armstrong both finish that most of the time too. Aside from that I don't remember him testing the keeper. Put a couple of flick ons wide from corners and skied a chance after taking a good touch. Was surprised to see people being so massively positive about him, I thought he was pretty anonymous for large spells and most of our attacking intent came from Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoissi, Tino, and Perraud. Glad we have a more physical option with height who can hold the ball up as a target man but as an out and out striker I'd rather see Adam Armstrong.

Edited by TWar
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TWar said:

Massively disagree with this, he got one tap in at Leeds

It was not remotely close to being a 'tap in'. A 'tap in' requires little to no effort or skill and a largely unopposed path to scoring.

Broja yesterday had to run three quarters of the length of the pitch and had to overcome a defender lunging in on him and the keeper.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It was not remotely close to being a 'tap in'. A 'tap in' requires little to no effort or skill and a largely unopposed path to scoring.

Broja yesterday had to run three quarters of the length of the pitch and had to overcome a defender lunging in on him and the keeper.

How far you run before the shot isn't taken into account generally when someone discusses a "tap in", also not sure he ran "three quarters the length of the pitch" (https://youtu.be/jxaXKjoAWkg?t=30) he was already in the Leeds half when Djenepo played Redmond through so am pretty sure he was near the half way line waiting for the break rather than anywhere near his own box. Also the defender lunging happened after the shot, it was more a late hit on the player than any realistic effort for the ball. He did have to beat the keeper, from like 10 yards out centrally with no defenders around. I'd say that counts as "largely unopposed" to me. It was the sort of goal I think any of our strikers puts in 75+% of the time (except maybe Long). I don't know if this fits your specific definition of tap in, if it doesn't then imagine I said "simple goal almost entirely made by Redmond, albeit with good positioning".

Edited by TWar
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

What about the effort Broja blasted over the bar when he could, and should, have rolled it across to an unmarked Redmond? I am convinced Che would have passed the ball to Redders.....

As for the OP and to keep on topic - no is the short and sweet answer.

JWP is our best player. Diallo has scored one goal in his entire career. Can't remember him assisting any either. JWP is streets ahead in both numbers and ability where those things are concerned. Also don't think we would have got the 0-0 results against either City or West Ham had Diallo played instead of him. Pleased Diallo had a decent game yesterday but, again, he really didn't do anything of note and it was against a much weakened Leeds. But hey, I'm sure all the JWP haters will say otherwise......

Edited by Minsk
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TWar said:

I personally think the ball coming to you unmarked in the centre of the goal, along the ground, at a good pace, to your preferred foot, about 10 yards out, and with just the keeper to beat is about as easy a finish as it comes except a literal open goal. He did finish it well but I think Adams and Armstrong both finish that most of the time too. Aside from that I don't remember him testing the keeper. Put a couple of flick ons wide from corners and skied a chance after taking a good touch. Was surprised to see people being so massively positive about him, I thought he was pretty anonymous for large spells and most of our attacking intent came from Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoissi, Tino, and Perraud. Glad we have a more physical option with height who can hold the ball up as a target man but as an out and out striker I'd rather see Adam Armstrong.

You forgot his run past a couple of players into the left side of the box and low shot saved by the keeper in the first half. How many efforts between them did Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Tino and Peraud manage?

Just now, Teddeer said:

You forgot his run past a couple of players into the left side of the box and low shot saved by the keeper in the first half. How many efforts between them did Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Tino and Peraud manage?

Well a lot of them aren't forwards, so I doubt they shot as many times, but a lot of our dangerous moments came from one or more of them beating someone with a decent bit of skill, pace or passing, and setting the move going. If anything we weren't clinical at all with the chances being made, scoring 1 goal from an xG of 2.2, that wasn't just on Broja though, who performed basically on xG.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Well a lot of them aren't forwards, so I doubt they shot as many times, but a lot of our dangerous moments came from one or more of them beating someone with a decent bit of skill, pace or passing, and setting the move going. If anything we weren't clinical at all with the chances being made, scoring 1 goal from an xG of 2.2, that wasn't just on Broja though, who performed basically on xG.

Really, who gives a shit about xG?

Just now, Teddeer said:

Really, who gives a shit about xG?

Depends what you mean? Expected values are a pretty widely used statistical device across multiple fields, and are used by pretty much every analyst in the media and for clubs nowadays.

If you mean "do they mean you win?", no, they don't obviously. They are like possession stats or save %, they give you a good idea of whats going on. What they demonstrate in this case is we made a bunch of chances, they weren't finished, and the one that was was statistically a very easy chance for a player who didn't actually see that many chances other than it.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Also, you listed those players as a comparison to Broja not me. 

Yeah I did, I thought they contributed more to our attack than he did. Contributing more to an attack isn't measurable by just who had the most shots, especially when you compare fullbacks to strikers.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah I did, I thought they contributed more to our attack than he did. Contributing more to an attack isn't measurable by just who had the most shots, especially when you compare fullbacks to strikers.

I felt Broja provided a presence that unsettled the Leeds back line and that alone possibly created extra space for others to make runs etc that might not have been the case with either AA or Adams up top. I don't dismiss what AA and Adams bring to the side because they are both fine players in their own right. I have often pointed out that AA has been starved of the kind of service he will thrive on so we've yet to see the best of him though his fine strike against Everton gave us an inkling. I just believe Broja gives us more of an edge as the out and out striker because he has more strings to his bow than the other two. Adams still needs to work on his weaker foot. his general coolness in front of goal and certainly needs to learn how to head the ball but is excellent at holding the ball and has a good range of passing.

20 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I felt Broja provided a presence that unsettled the Leeds back line and that alone possibly created extra space for others to make runs etc that might not have been the case with either AA or Adams up top. I don't dismiss what AA and Adams bring to the side because they are both fine players in their own right. I have often pointed out that AA has been starved of the kind of service he will thrive on so we've yet to see the best of him though his fine strike against Everton gave us an inkling. I just believe Broja gives us more of an edge as the out and out striker because he has more strings to his bow than the other two. Adams still needs to work on his weaker foot. his general coolness in front of goal and certainly needs to learn how to head the ball but is excellent at holding the ball and has a good range of passing.

To be honest, I agree with most of this. I think Armstrongs biggest strengths haven't been shown yet and think he has a higher ceiling personally but I don't dislike Broja by any means.

11 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

If you have the keeper to beat it can never be classed as a tap in.

Yep. Ridiculous to call that finish a tap in. It was a very assured and calm finish under pressure from the defender and the keeper. He made it look easy, doesn't mean it was.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. Ridiculous to call that finish a tap in. It was a very assured and calm finish under pressure from the defender and the keeper. He made it look easy, doesn't mean it was.

Ah but if you use well know formula used by our experts TOTBxDFGxDICPx3.14/WOP+APIFT over XG + XM=

then I’ll think you find it was a tap in. 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ah but if you use well know formula used by our experts TOTBxDFGxDICPx3.14/WOP+APIFT over XG + XM=

then I’ll think you find it was a tap in. 

Ha! I was trying to be subtle Del, but there ain't a stat for spotting a cool finish.

On topic. I doubt there are stats for how quickly a player gets into defensive position or how quickly his football brain works, or how quickly he spots the play, or a run, or otherwise uses the ball. Those stats will show how much better we are with Diallo than JWP. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TWar said:

To be honest, I agree with most of this. I think Armstrongs biggest strengths haven't been shown yet and think he has a higher ceiling personally but I don't dislike Broja by any means.

😂😂 would you say this if Broja was our player, rather than Chelsea’s? Absolutely nonsense. Broja is 4 years younger than Armstrong and is already, arguably better. I like Armstrong, he’s a different kind of striker to Borja, they should both play together but Broja is going to be a top, top player. 

RE Adams, other than maybe Norwich, I don’t see another Premier league team he’d get in, if I’m honest. Adams is just a younger version of Shane Long, imo. Works hard, Half decent at bringing others into play but as a striker in front of goal, useless. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Minsk said:

What about the effort Broja blasted over the bar when he could, and should, have rolled it across to an unmarked Redmond? I am convinced Che would have passed the ball to Redders.....

As for the OP and to keep on topic - no is the short and sweet answer.

JWP is our best player. Diallo has scored one goal in his entire career. Can't remember him assisting any either. JWP is streets ahead in both numbers and ability where those things are concerned. Also don't think we would have got the 0-0 results against either City or West Ham had Diallo played instead of him. Pleased Diallo had a decent game yesterday but, again, he really didn't do anything of note and it was against a much weakened Leeds. But hey, I'm sure all the JWP haters will say otherwise......

Out of interest, and I don’t know the answer to this one, how many goals / assists does JWP have in open play? 

It seems a daft comparison given his ability over a free kick and the fact he takes every corner and penalty as well to boost his numbers. 

im also guessing that JWP has played significantly more games. 

The point wasn’t who’s the better player. It was that Diallo, with Romeu, compliments our game more than JWP. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

😂😂 would you say this if Broja was our player, rather than Chelsea’s? Absolutely nonsense. Broja is 4 years younger than Armstrong and is already, arguably better. I like Armstrong, he’s a different kind of striker to Borja, they should both play together but Broja is going to be a top, top player. 

RE Adams, other than maybe Norwich, I don’t see another Premier league team he’d get in, if I’m honest. Adams is just a younger version of Shane Long, imo. Works hard, Half decent at bringing others into play but as a striker in front of goal, useless. 

I was trying to avoid the Broja stuff on this thread, but any suggestion that Adam Armstrong has the potential to be a better player than Broja is laughable. Armstrong is a poor man's Ings, whereas Broja seems to have the lot - pace, power, height, aerial ability, dribbling skills, and an incredible finish (not just Saturday, but his finishes for Albania have been top quality). He'll be a massive player. 

You're harsher on Adams than I am, but his finishing will never reach the standards that Broja's is at now, and in all other areas, Broja is better for me. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, TWar said:

If you score 28 goals in the championship then you are above that level and need to try your hand at the next one. He has been fine so far, has scored a goal, gotten an assist, and won a pen. He is new to the league and the team and has looked absolutely fine for me with limited service. Calling him championship quality is very very harsh. And calling Adams championship quality is ridiculous too.

There is a hell of a difference between a top Championship Striker and a reasonable PL one

Newcastle did not think Armstrong was PL quality otherwise they would not have sold him to Blackburn

Yes he did very well last season but his impact this season with us has not shown that he is a PL quality striker like James Beattie Henri Camara Graziano Pelle Danny Ings Marians Pahars Rickie Lambert plus many more

He seems to be like Brett Ormerod David McGoldrick and Shane Long strikers who play in the PL and score a few goals but only time will tell

Adams is OK but not consistent enough at the moment and unlike Broya has not scored any international goals that I know of

32 minutes ago, John B said:

Newcastle did not think Armstrong was PL quality otherwise they would not have sold him to Blackburn

He was 19, and playing in a completely different position. Hardly fair to write him off after that.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

😂😂 would you say this if Broja was our player, rather than Chelsea’s? Absolutely nonsense. Broja is 4 years younger than Armstrong and is already, arguably better. 

Yes, 100%. Broja was very poor against championship opposition and to be honest he was OK against Leeds but hardly amazing. Armstrong is a better player now, certainly. Broja may become better as he is younger but he is not now at all.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Saying a bunch of letters which don't mean anything isn't the dunk you think it is, it just shows you don't really understand the ones that do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

He was 19, and playing in a completely different position. Hardly fair to write him off after that.

Yes, 100%. Broja was very poor against championship opposition and to be honest he was OK against Leeds but hardly amazing. Armstrong is a better player now, certainly. Broja may become better as he is younger but he is not now at all.

Saying a bunch of letters which don't mean anything isn't the dunk you think it is, it just shows you don't really understand the ones that do.

Bit like not understanding the difference between a good cool finish and a tap in I guess