Getting old sucks

farawaysaint

12 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Yeah, the science and well, simplicity behind it is amazing. 

Once I was educated about this I was astounded how routine and easy-ish it becomes once you’ve done it for a few weeks. I mean, I still treat myself now and then but there’s knowledge now that I have to moderate it and the discipline which kicks on of ‘not wanting to lose what I’ve worked so hard for’ 

Key word for me was ‘balanced’. 

And because I feel better and am happy in how I look, I love to encourage others to do the same now. 

Did you find it much of an adjustment changing your diet?

The biggest problem I had was getting the calories in. I’d been intermittent fasting so only having two meals a day so had got used to eating a lot less than I should have been the problem was I was hungry and tired all the time then was binging on crisps, sausage rolls and quite a few drinks on a weekend. Once I’d cut back on the booze Found a few healthy meals that worked for me it all fell into place and has been quite easy to keep up. Within days felt loads better The advice she gave was brilliant well worth it, mad really how much rubbish there is out there that people believe when it’s actually quite simple and logical. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

The biggest problem I had was getting the calories in. I’d been intermittent fasting so only having two meals a day so had got used to eating a lot less than I should have been the problem then was binging on crisps, sausage rolls and quite a few drinks on a weekend. Once I’d cut back on the booze Found a few healthy meals that worked for me it all fell into place and has been quite easy to keep up. Within days felt loads better The advice she gave was brilliant well worth it, mad really how much rubbish there is out there that people believe when it’s actually quite simple and logical. 

Crisps are still my downfall. 😬

Yeah that’s what I couldn’t believe - how logical it all was once I got my head around it and started to see real visual progress.

Were you intermittently fasting consciously or was it just part of your routine as you were busy and didn’t have time to eat? I was like that, then would load up on rubbish later on when I was ravenous - then try to reason with myself that it was ok as I hadn’t eaten all day. 

I take it you’re well versed on what to have post workouts etc? I didn’t realise how important it was until I upped the quality and quantity of my foods, then I saw I could recover quicker, workout harder, longer etc.

it’s a strange old thing. You’d think sitting around doing nothing that you’ll be well rested. It was the complete opposite for me. But as soon as I started training, burning energy created more energy… 

6 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Crisps are still my downfall. 😬

Yeah that’s what I couldn’t believe - how logical it all was once I got my head around it and started to see real visual progress.

Were you intermittently fasting consciously or was it just part of your routine as you were busy and didn’t have time to eat? I was like that, then would load up on rubbish later on when I was ravenous - then try to reason with myself that it was ok as I hadn’t eaten all day. 

I take it you’re well versed on what to have post workouts etc? I didn’t realise how important it was until I upped the quality and quantity of my foods, then I saw I could recover quicker, workout harder, longer etc.

it’s a strange old thing. You’d think sitting around doing nothing that you’ll be well rested. It was the complete opposite for me. But as soon as I started training, burning energy created more energy… 

It was a conscious thing as I’d read it was really good for you. Sure it is for some but didn’t work for me for the reason you say, hungry all the time so would then load up on crap. 

the other change I’ve made is to do something in the morning either a work out of a 30 minute or so walk, gets you up and out and fresh air rather than sitting in the House which it’s easy to do working from home full time. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It was a conscious thing as I’d read it was really good for you. Sure it is for some but didn’t work for me for the reason you say, hungry all the time so would then load up on crap. 

the other change I’ve made is to do something in the morning either a work out of a 30 minute or so walk, gets you up and out and fresh air rather than sitting in the House which it’s easy to do working from home full time. 

Yeah, I try do min of 10k steps a day (I think you said something similar). Sundays are my ‘down’ day. If I manage 500 that’s an achievement 😂

Yeah I read about it and thought I’d try it but I didn’t really realise I was kind of doing it already during the day, then justifying pigging out in the evenings as I had calories to make up. Which I later found out wasn’t the right way of doing it.

can’t help but think these regimens must have been so much easier when we were twenty somethings though!

7 hours ago, whelk said:

Struggling to do 5k in under 25 mins but sounds like I am in better shape than most of you old fuckers😄

I managed 23.05 at age 57 if you want a target to shoot for.

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I had my heart bypass nearly eleven years ago so that has bought me some time. The best £6000 that I have spent was getting my cataract lenses replaced with artificial ones. Most of my life I had been short sighted but now I have better than 20:20 vision. I just have some cheap specs for reading.

I have been type 2 diabetic for a long while but have recently gone onto daily insulin injections.  It has brought my blood sugar under control and now I can go hours without needing the toilet. 

Agree with lens replacement surgery. I had it done at 53 and it was transformational

Edited by The Left Back
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, The Left Back said:

I managed 23.05 at age 57 if you want a target to shoot for.

Agree with lens replacement surgery. I had it done at 53 and it was transformational

I played too much football through 20s to mid 30s to be posting decent times now so will pass on your admirable target. 

On 02/02/2023 at 15:22, badgerx16 said:

I can do 100k in a little over 4 hours, admittedly on a bike.

That's pretty good going. These are my new toys. Sad to think I will do neither the justice they deserve but I'll ride them with a smile on my face. Road bike was only a rolling chassis when pic was taken. Been out on the gravel bike a couple of times, its a hoot.

IMG_2522[1].JPG

IMG_2498[1].JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

That's pretty good going. These are my new toys. Sad to think I will do neither the justice they deserve but I'll ride them with a smile on my face. Road bike was only a rolling chassis when pic was taken. Been out on the gravel bike a couple of times, its a hoot.

IMG_2522[1].JPG

IMG_2498[1].JPG

Razor blades for saddles 😂