Roof Replacement in a Maisonette - Requesting Advice

Colinjb

I'm putting this here in the hope that someone with a little more knowledge then me can help.

My family live in a maisonette, it is by it's nature a leasehold with the usual limitations in development rights.

We need a new roof, just replacement felt and tiles but as far as I can tell this needs planning permission. Certainly that is what Winchester City Council tell me, which I find baffling as we do not want to change anything about the property, just change felt and tiles in order to ensure it is watertight. A neighbour had a roof in an almost identical property replaced with no planning application.

Looking at the planning portal, it is asking for drawings etc which seem completely out of means for what is an inevitable (albeit expensive) repair/maintenance job.

Can anyone help here? This doesn't seem right.

Edited by Colinjb

Unfortunately, flats and maisonettes don't fall within permitted development rights, however gaining planning approval should be relatively straightforward, especially if you're using like for like materials. That said, you can never second guess a Planning Officer. Even if other properties have had approval for similar works, every project/application is looked at as an individual entity.

You may also need to get consent from the freeholder.

EDIT: Apologies - may have just repeated what you already knew. 

Edited by Southner

In terms of budgeting etc. It's also worth factoring in the cost of a building control application. Possibly if works relate to more than 50% of the roof area(?)

If using a single ply membrane instead of felt for instance, it will have to have a certain fire rating in relation to where it's being used/it's proximity to another property etc.

• Like 1

I can't understand how a replacement is a planning issue. You're not changing or adding anything. What's led you to understand that planning permission is needed? This feels like a misunderstanding. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

I can't understand how a replacement is a planning issue. You're not changing or adding anything. What's led you to understand that planning permission is needed? This feels like a misunderstanding. 

Is the property in a conservation area? If so they’re are special restrictions on work that can be undertaken. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Is the property in a conservation area? If so they’re are special restrictions on work that can be undertaken. 

This. I used to live in conservation area and needed planning permission to change anything, even the colour of the exterior paint. So if , for example, you currently have a slate roof, you might not be able to replace with red tiles.      

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Good point...but is it a planning or building control point? Playing the tape forward, if a duff roof is replaced like for like, how would the LA enforce it? They surely won't insist that the knackered roof is reinstated! 

50 minutes ago, buctootim said:

This. I used to live in conservation area and needed planning permission to change anything, even the colour of the exterior paint. So if , for example, you currently have a slate roof, you might not be able to replace with red tiles.      

That's change though. The OP (i think) is talking about a like for like repair. 

Edited by egg

53 minutes ago, egg said:

Good point...but is it a planning or building control point? Playing the tape forward, if a duff roof is replaced like for like, how would the LA enforce it? They surely won't insist that the knackered roof is reinstated! 

The only people who can give a definitive answer are the local planners.

A long while ago the NatWest bank in Romsey needed its roof repaired but because it is a grade 1 listed (?) building all repairs had to be identical to the original construction even though better methods were available. I think in that case it was a matter of iron ties cased in lead that were holding the blocks together. These had to be replaced like for like despite the fact that they were going to rust again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Replacing your roof is subject to building control since 2016 (I think) So not planning permission . It includes structural issues such as can the rafters support the weight of new tiles to , is enough insulation being installed to comply with latest regs . Our friend was dobbed in by a neighbour which cost a fee and a bit of compromise re storage platform in the loft v insulation .