Saints fan doing a good job.

Guided Missile

Got to give him credit:

Australia will buy British-designed nuclear-powered submarines under the terms of a long-term deal which is due to be unveiled in the United States next week, multiple sources have suggested. The plan is expected to involve a modified version of the UK’s next generation Astute-class submarines, known as SSNR, which are currently in the design phase. The decision represents a major victory for Britain in negotiations over the multi-billion pound deal, and has reportedly delighted Rishi Sunak.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Got to give him credit:

The deal seems to be that Australia will buy 3 American subs in a few years time. In a parallel stream, the UK and Australia will begin design work on a new class that will start construction in the late 2030s and enter service in the mid 2040s. That is hardly going to guarantee jobs in Barrow over the next 15 years or so.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The deal seems to be that Australia will buy 3 American subs in a few years time. In a parallel stream, the UK and Australia will begin design work on a new class that will start construction in the late 2030s and enter service in the mid 2040s. That is hardly going to guarantee jobs in Barrow over the next 15 years or so.

Considering there is a build programme through the 30s already, then great as they guarantee the jobs 

Unless you know something else? 

Edited by AlexLaw76

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Considering there is a build programme through the 30s already, then great as they guarantee the jobs 

Unless you know something else? 

There is a very long and convoluted road between signing an agreement in a principle and laying a keel, ( or however you start constructing a nuclear submarine ), especially as there will be multiple elections and changes of political direction in all 3 countries involved in the intervening years.

This "good news" may simply be just another example of "jam tomorrow".

When I can stand on our sea wall and see the new ships sailing out into the bay I will know it has actually come to pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

There is a very long and convoluted road between signing an agreement in a principle and laying a keel, ( or however you start constructing a nuclear submarine ), especially as there will be multiple elections and changes of political direction in all 3 countries involved in the intervening years.

This "good news" may simply be just another example of "jam tomorrow".

When I can stand on our sea wall and see the new ships sailing out into the bay I will know it has actually come to pass.

Good news for you, HMS Anson recently departed it's build phase, with more submarines (over the next 15 years or so) coming.

Having a common design between partner nations is a good thing, whether the heavy industry part of the build is in the UK or not.  

The Aussies choosing to side with the UK is significant, both in defence terms and maintenance of a strategic industry.

Edited by AlexLaw76

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Good news for you, HMS Anson recently departed it's build phase, with more submarines (over the next 15 years or so) coming.

Having a common design between partner nations is a good thing, whether the heavy industry part of the build is in the UK or not.  

The Aussies choosing to side with the UK is significant, both in defence terms and maintenance of a strategic industry.

I entirely in agreement with you, but I don't trust Politician's Promises. Particularly when they are talking about things planned for at least 20 years hence.

• Like 2