37 Years ago yesterday

east-stand-nic

At a time of great football club depression, at least we have these “on this days” to cheer us up. on this day we lost to liverpool in a semi final and our player broke their leg. great. 

in all seriousness this semi final never gets talked about but everyone goes on about everton at highbury for obvious reasons I guess. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

I was at the semi final at WHL where we lost to Liverpool in extra time and Mark Wright broke his leg. Unlike the 1984 semi, we always new we were likely to lose this one, but still very disappointed on the day.

Anyone else there?

yes I was there. And we put up a pretty decent performance. I think we were better than in 84. But we were up against a much better side. What made it difficult against Liverpool was not only their great players, but also the cheating they got away with that referees did nothing about. Danny Wallace spent much of the game with Hansen dragging him back by the neck. It would be interesting to see how that team would fare under VAR.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

yes I was there. And we put up a pretty decent performance. I think we were better than in 84. But we were up against a much better side. What made it difficult against Liverpool was not only their great players, but also the cheating they got away with that referees did nothing about. Danny Wallace spent much of the game with Hansen dragging him back by the neck. It would be interesting to see how that team would fare under VAR.

Yeah, was there as well. Was 13 at the time so don't really remember too much of the game. Strangely enough, I remember more from the 84 semi final than this game. Probably due to the late goal etc.

2 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

At a time of great football club depression, at least we have these “on this days” to cheer us up. on this day we lost to liverpool in a semi final and our player broke their leg. great. 

in all seriousness this semi final never gets talked about but everyone goes on about everton at highbury for obvious reasons I guess. 

Another tale of heroic failure with a bit of bad luck thrown in. 

when the skates get to a cup final they play team from the championship and scrape a win. When we get to a cup final We get Forest, who would be European champions that season, in 2003 one of the best teams in history, 2017 a goal incorrectly disallowed and our best player out injured. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenilworthy said:

That is my enduring memory. The ref allowed them to get away with it

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

That is my enduring memory. The ref allowed them to get away with it

Would love to see a VAR league table ( if one exists ) of all the decisions for and against each team ( rightly or wrongly ) that lot would be miles ahead.

• Like 2

We never really looked like scoring as I recall. Our best chance  was to nick one  towards the end of normal time when we managed a bit of pressure, but when it went to extra time we had nothing left. I think our season fizzled out as well after that. Still it was a good Liverpool team that went on to do the double.

10 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

I was at the semi final at WHL where we lost to Liverpool in extra time and Mark Wright broke his leg. Unlike the 1984 semi, we always new we were likely to lose this one, but still very disappointed on the day.

Anyone else there?

Yes, I flew back from the Middle East just for this game. I had to buy a half season ticket in order to get my ticket for the match. I gave the season ticket to a mate before I flew back. I remember the Liverpool fans seemed quite intimidated by us after the game. We were all singing 'Southerners' in the tube station on the way back and the Liverpool fans kept very quiet. Of course, they wouldn't be today.

Edited by Nordic Saint

24 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Yes, I flew back from the Middle East just for this game. I had to buy a half season ticket in order to get my ticket for the match. I gave the season ticket to a mate before I flew back. I remember the Liverpool fans seemed quite intimidated by us after the game. We were all singing 'Southerners' in the tube station on the way back and the Liverpool fans kept very quiet. Of course, they wouldn't be today.

We drove back the wrong way and ended up in the middle of Liverpool fans going back. They were very quiet. 

3 hours ago, fanimal said:

Stood on the side lower terrace with the lovely friendly scousers sat above us great fun not

Strange set-up. WHL was basically split in half, we had the Paxton end of the ground, they had Park Lane but for some reason they had a section above Saints fans on the Shelf and had free reign to continually lob stuff over onto those below. That was a miserable walk back to Seven Sisters and took forever to get back on the tube as we were told there was fighting going on further down the line which stopped the trains.