Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

6 hours ago, saintant said:

I don't think West Ham have any interest in Downes.

Plenty of others will though. He certainly won’t want another season in the Championship with us. 

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What I take from that is our wet blotting paper defence. What on earth is Bednarek doing for their second? He can see that the player is going to shoot yet he doesn't attack the ball and just waits for the shot when you can see him shrink away from it. 

He's been doing this all season and it's cost us a fair few goals.

Compare this to the Cardiff defence who on occasion were throwing bodies into some last ditch tackles and blocks. Similar but to a lesser extent to Ipswich a couple of weeks ago. 

Cardiff’s GK also made a crucial save at 1-0 down. That’s not something we’ve been able to boast about much this season either. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

Yeah, Cardiff fans are sound and it's a great city.

Singing "England, England" to them is a waste of time because within Wales they are seen almost as English by their fellow countrymen.

Likewise the utterly pathetic "sheep shaggers" chants. Fuck all sheep in Cardiff. 

Thought our support yesterday was okay  but a bit muted possibly on the back of the Leicester result. 

The ‘En-ger- land’ and national anthem were pretty counter productive in my view as it just seemed to wake their support up.

Noticeable features in the crowd yesterday was some older bald  bloke in their stand making gestures ( don’t some people ever grow up ?) , and another old bloke half way down block 121 with a constant clapping and chanting on his own in the first half. 

As for sheep shaggers  I did hear their ‘2-1 to the sheep shaggers’ at the end. 

16 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What I take from that is our wet blotting paper defence. What on earth is Bednarek doing for their second? He can see that the player is going to shoot yet he doesn't attack the ball and just waits for the shot when you can see him shrink away from it. 

He's been doing this all season and it's cost us a fair few goals.

Agreed - Bednarek should have just taken that shot a goal face-on rather than turning his backside to the ball.  If it hits him there, as it did, there's almost no way of knowing which direction that ball will deflect to..

I don't understand the way in which defenders turn sideways on to a shot, minimising the surface area that the ball could hit..

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Saint Paul C said:

Agreed - Bednarek should have just taken that shot a goal face-on rather than turning his backside to the ball.  If it hits him there, as it did, there's almost no way of knowing which direction that ball will deflect to..

I don't understand the way in which defenders turn sideways on to a shot, minimising the surface area that the ball could hit..

Our defenders always turn their back because A they are coached and B they are fairies and Bednerek is the worst for turning his back on shots. Yet again this is the On the Manager to stamp it out. Turn your back and you are out the team, simple!

• Like 2

On 21/04/2024 at 12:33, saintant said:

I don't think West Ham have any interest in Downes.

Moyes perhaps, but wait long enough and another manager will come along. In Moyes case that won't be too long. It will take a great deal to prise Downes from his beloved West Ham.

36 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Moyes perhaps, but wait long enough and another manager will come along. In Moyes case that won't be too long. It will take a great deal to prise Downes from his beloved West Ham.

He might have to re-evaluate his options if doesn't have any game time there.