Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

What an absolutely laughable thing to blame the manager for. Get a grip ffs.

He’s been struggling through games since the international break, either with fatigue or injury or both, it seems a valid point to me. 

• Like 2

What an absolutely laughable thing to blame the manager for. Get a grip ffs.

The guy was absolutely blowing and has shown all season he can’t go the distance in weeks when we have two games. Muscle injuries much more common when players running on fumes. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

The Brooks miss was the one. An open goal to shoot into and he took another touch. Criminal. 

Can you IMAGINE this bunch of losers rocking up to Fratton next season. They’ll murder us. 

Luckily we'll have a new bunch! Hopefully with much better mentality, but ultimately a lot less quality.

Cardiff had a great mentality today, bunch of misfits, kids, u21's. Played out of their skin. So far off us quality wise it wasn't even a debate, but they proved that it's not about quality if you have the mentality right.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You could see it coming, not long before they scored their first, they were dominating midfield, pressing us and we gave away a cheap corner on around 62 mins

seen this pattern so many times

You could almost pinpoint the turning point on that cheap corner. That seemed to breathe life in to them and we went to pot.

Don't think bringing on three wingers was wise. Fraser and Edozie didn't know what each other was doing and Sule was his normal crap self. 

Play-offs it will be but I'm not giving up on getting in to the premiership through the back door.

• Like 2

Play offs - dominating for 30 mins or so then going all passive won’t see us past the 2 leg semi. You have to be on it from the first whistle to the last, I’m not sure we have the fitness or stamina for that, let alone the mentality despite all his “bravery” bullshit !

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

We've been edged all season and I'm afraid there's no happy ending (yet). We'll see if the playoffs can provide a reprieve for the team, who at the moment look to bottle it a bit when we have a chance to seize the initiative. 

Yep, we may yet win the play offs but if we do, oh dear, we will be mince meat in the Premier Lg at least there is hope in the Championship 

10 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

This'll be where we beat Leicester, Stoke and Leeds and it counts for fuck all as we narrowly miss out. Brave lads.

Lol no chance 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Play-offs it will be but I'm not giving up on getting in to the premiership through the back door.

The thought of us playing in the Premier League is making me a tad anxious at the moment....!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He’s been struggling through games since the international break, either with fatigue or injury or both, it seems a valid point to me. 

He was benched for Coventry, Blackburn, Watford. Starts either side of that... So this was his second start of this "run"... and he only played 70min vs Preston. To state he's been overplayed and fatigued and to then attack and blame the manager for that injury is laughable.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, trousers said:

The thought of us playing in the Premier League is making me a tad anxious at the moment....!

I’m not sure it’s something you need to worry too much about 

• Haha 4

Just now, Dellyears said:

Yep, we may yet win the play offs but if we do, oh dear, we will be mince meat in the Premier Lg at least there is hope in the Championship 

TBH next season with Martin is a daunting prospect either way. Torn to shreds in the PL or a significantly lower quality side in the Championship. Whichever league we are in we will ship a tonne of goals as RM can’t change his tactics to properly balance attack and defence.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Worry not, we won't be, not for many many years. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bottle jobs.

Got worse as the game went on & both managers made changes. That’s a damning indictment of Lego head. They got better, we got worse. 

It’s been the norm virtually all season. He’ll state they were brave of course !

• Like 1

He was benched for Coventry, Blackburn, Watford. Starts either side of that... So this was his second start. To state he's overplayed, and then attack and blame the manager is laughable.

Second start in a week and he played the majority against Preston. He hasn’t been able to play two full games a week all season…

• Like 4

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bottle jobs.

Got worse as the game went on & both managers made changes. That’s a damning indictment of Lego head. They got better, we got worse. 

It's a common refrain.  Have his substitutions every turned a game around?

• Like 1

Well was there a single person on this forum that didn't call that at half-time after that incredible display of inept finishing?

Our inability to get a clinical finisher (or even a half-competent one) once we knew Ross Stewart was out is unforgivable.

I don't blame RM for that, but I do for his lineup and tactical management. RM has to get some kind of special award for finding ways to not only not win crucial matches we should easily have won, but to LOSE them! 

Incredible display of incompetent in-game management.

Smallbone starting instead of Downes? Unless Downes is 'proper injured' that is just a crazy omission.

Then Che obviously having another Che-day...but keep him on and take off Adam Armstrong? WTF?

Then Sulemana and Edozie ahead of Fraser (I was watching second half without sound so may have missed this...but Fraser...one of the few who does actually know how to score a goal, should have been on instead of Brooks before Cardiff equalised). Sulemana who never scores and whose immediate contribution was two fouls.

Then Aribo off? Possibly our best midfielder still showing running and bite. 

Then leaving Stuart Armstrong on (yes he was playing well) but to cap it all, looks like a bad injury and out of the play-offs.

You know I doff my hat to you RM...a greater show of in-game tactical mismanagement I don't think I've ever seen.

Anyway, we've been handed so many opportunities to control our own destiny and f-cked it up, we don't deserve automatic promotion. And we all know our chances in the playoffs.

So Championship for another few seasons it is as we will lose all our best players if (when) we don't get promoted.

Unbelievable.

Ah well, taken the excitement out of the leicester game at least - thanks for that.

• Like 9

He was benched for Coventry, Blackburn, Watford. Starts either side of that... So this was his second start, and he only played 70min vs Preston. To state he's been overplayed and fatigued and to then attack and blame the manager for that injury is laughable.

I’m not laughing, he is my absolute favourite player. Let’s accept I don’t know what caused his injury and neither do you, but it seems reasonable to speculate that he wasn’t managed correctly. That’s all I am saying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Me too. I'm not sure why I want us to get promoted. 

Because shipping goals for fun in the championship with a much weaker side will be less fun in the long term than a season or two back in the Prem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't bode well for the playoffs that must win games we show little urgency and in fact look more likely to concede. 

That's the worry for me, this was a huge game - we put ourselves right back at centre stage with the win against PNE, and we just buckled. (the pressure got to Che as well imo).

Had we won it would have been the same at Leicester though, we were always going to lose - at least we now have a few weeks to stew on it, rather than falling at the 95th min on the last day against Leeds. We'd never recover from that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James said:

Second start in a week and he played the majority against Preston. He hasn’t been able to play two full games a week all season…

What... like Aribo, Smallbone, Downes, Brooks, Rothwell, Edozie, or Sulemana lately 🤣
Absolute straw man argument. And also, its the medical team that govern restrictions on game minutes ;) 

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Me too. I'm not sure why I want us to get promoted. 

I don’t care so much about promotion as I do about stagnation or deterioration in the championship, it’s catch 22. Another season like this would be good next season, but that will require a lot of investment, even if that’s possible under ffp. 

• Like 3

I couldn’t give a shit about the PL but the thought of another season in this league with this manager and a lower quality set of players fills me with utter dread 

• Like 6

What... like Aribo, Smallbone, Downes, Brooks, Edozie, Sulemana lately 🤣

Not sure of your point. Mine is that Stu Armstrong hasn’t been able to do two full games a week all season. To try it now and potentially lose him for the playoffs is, IMO, bad management. If you disagree that’s your prerogative.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Relax, it's not going to happen. Need an upgrade on these very, very naive owners and work down from them through the coaching staff and ultimately to the players as there's a glaring deficiency throughout.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

I couldn’t give a shit about the PL but the thought of another season in this league with this manager and a lower quality set of players fills me with utter dread 

This is my major concern. We’ve had glaring issues at times this season that Martin hasn’t been able to address with top quality championship players. To see him try to defend with a worse squad is not going to be fun at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James said:

Not sure of your point. Mine is that Stu Armstrong hasn’t been able to do two full games a week all season. To try it now and potentially lose him for the playoffs is, IMO, bad management. If you disagree that’s your prerogative.

I gave you a list of players that also aren't meeting your criteria for being allowed to play twice in a week without any injuries being the manager's fault.

Add to that the fact that we have a medical team who's responsibility it is to control and restrict game minutes if their are fitness concerns, and yet you're still on here blaming the manager for a freak injury.

• Haha 1

Who else feels robbed of the rare chance to see a real all or nothing game on Tuesday? Game like those are rare, it could have been something that you never forget. Instead it's a dead rubber now.

• Like 1

Absolutely gutting! We should of been out of sight come half time, yet again.

A painful experience made worse by having a ticket in the home end. Roll on to the playoffs now. Hope stuey's injury isn't serious.

1 minute ago, James said:

This is my major concern. We’ve had glaring issues at times this season that Martin hasn’t been able to address with top quality championship players. To see him try to defend with a worse squad is not going to be fun at all.

And yet only one of them has made the team of the season. KWP, THB and Downes are top quality. Bednarek, Stu and AA have been decent for the most part. Fraser, Aribo and Adams are good on their day but those days seem sporadic at best. The rest I can pretty much take or leave.

So much of our supposed talent has contributed f**k all. Sully, Rothwell, Edozie, Alcaraz, Mara, I wouldn't care for one second if they all left tomorrow.

• Like 3

Poor game management yet again by Russ. Charles at 60 for smallbone isn’t exactly coaching 101.

poor recruitment from Wilcox wasting cash on players in positions that weren’t critical. A defensive midfield player and a left back would have been ideal.

oh well one last chance in the play offs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

What... like Aribo, Smallbone, Downes, Brooks, Rothwell, Edozie, or Sulemana lately 🤣
Absolute straw man argument. And also, its the medical team that govern restrictions on game minutes ;) 

You’re flogging a fucking dead horse.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

And yet only one of them has made the team of the season. KWP, THB and Downes are top quality. Bednarek, Stu and AA have been decent for the most part. Fraser, Aribo and Adams are good on their day but those days seem sporadic at best. The rest I can pretty much take or leave.

So much of our supposed talent has contributed f**k all. Sully, Rothwell, Edozie, Alcaraz, Mara, I wouldn't care for one second if they all left tomorrow.

Completely agree with you but if Martin can’t set up a decent defence with KWP, THB, Bednarek and Downes then fuck only knows how porous we will be next season. Quite simply, Martin teams don’t know how to defend and he hasn’t shown any signs of knowing how to change that.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

I can see us being in this league for the next 5 to 10 years. 

I think we've got one more shot next season if we get our recruitment right.

If he cock it up next season then, yeah - we won't be seeing PL football for many, many years as the gap to bridge will only get bigger. Ipswich have shown that you don't need to spend a fortune to compete occasionally, but the form horse is that the teams with the $$ will be the ones competing 99% of the time.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Missed the game but caught the half time stats. 1 nil up with loads of missed chances it was obvious that Saints would screw it up. Story of the season. Who wants the EPL anyway?

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I think we've got one more shot next season if we get our recruitment right.

If he cock it up next season then, yeah - we won't be seeing PL football for many, many years as the gap to bridge will only get bigger. Ipswich have shown that you don't need to spend a fortune to do it all the time, but the form horse is that the teams with the $$ will be the ones competing 99% of the time.

Ipswich also have a manager that will, in my view, go on to be top top class. McKenna teams do the basics right, are fully committed and never give up. Our lot on the other hand…

• Like 2