Northern Lights

Turkish

Posted (edited)

Visible in the UK tonight, here’s our pictures from North Yorkshire. Pretty amazing iPhone pictures don’t do it justice 

IMG_4329.jpeg

IMG_4328.jpeg

IMG_4327.jpeg

IMG_4326.jpeg

IMG_8293.jpeg

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

Remarkable.

I went on the Hurtigruten coastal trip in March from Bergen to Kirkenes and back but the skies were cloudy most of the time. There was a spell of about twenty minutes as we were nearing Tromsø though and we saw quite an inspiring show. So much that I want to go looking for them again next winter.

• Like 2

It was spectacular. They were visible a few months ago but you could only really just make them out with a camera even then not great no where near like last night. 

• Like 2

I fell asleep so missed them. Gutted. Missed them when I went to Iceland too. 

The photos look amazing. 

I'll have to get back to Iceland. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's the Day of the Triffids all over again.

It turns out that she rang me but I missed them. I think I was putting the bins out. This was about 9pm and I didn't  notice anything. I think she had seen a forecast. This was in Chandlers Ford and shee lives only 200 yards from me.IMG-20240511-WA0003.thumb.jpg.2a9c2b81cf152f51219135e6c933f803.jpg 

IMG-20240511-WA0002(1).thumb.jpg.fba4016db574311e911c5f9b73cda818.jpg

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I fell asleep so missed them. Gutted. Missed them when I went to Iceland too. 

The photos look amazing. 

I'll have to get back to Iceland. 

It’s on my list to do, looks spectacular 

This is a pale impression of what I saw in Norway on 19th March. Not easy to photograph from a moving ship in sub-zero temperatures on an Android phone. 

What I saw with my eyes was very impressive.  Great hanging curtains of shimmering green light which the phone tries to override.  I later looked up the correct settings but we didn't see them again.20240319_222207.thumb.jpg.8cb807bd8f73d132fdb56980112f6a3e.jpg

• Like 2

They are not normally easy to photograph and you typically need a tripod and fifteen to thirty seconds of exposure.

It’s strange to think that they are probably happening above us right now but are washed out by the daylight.

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s on my list to do, looks spectacular 

It is stunning. I'm a geology and geography geek so I was in my element. Highly recommended. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve just spoken to my daughter. She said that the vivid colours were only apparent in her phone and were much less intense to the naked eye. She had to set her phone camera to night vision.

There is a chance that they will be back again tonight.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 3