Will Phillips get the same abuse.

bjk

You are mental. Supakev is a great striker - always has been.

There is a slender possibility he may have wanted to score more to rub ur noses in it.

But he's a striker who had the ball fall at his feet, two yards out.

Are you seriously suggesting, that had we not sung, the ball would have landed in the box and SKP would have been on the halfway line planning his run...???

What happened is what anyone over the age of 35 knows as 'sod's law'...

I'm really pleased that you added your contribution, as you have also been one of the most vocal advocates of the contribution that we fans can add to the success of the team, not so much in terms of bums on seats, but more especially in relation to the lift that we can give the youngsters by cheering them on. On the other side of the coin, I'm sure that you'd agree that by booing them, they will be discouraged from playing to their full potential because that is human nature. Players who are booed by their own fans either let their heads drop, or the ones who are mentally strong become determined to prove them wrong.

We as fans have picked out players from rival teams who we boo because of some prejudice that we have for them, either because they used to play for Pompey, or for some other reason. So when Claridge scored against us having taken a lot of stick, he took great delight in pointing to his name on his shirt back, the equivalent of sticking two fingers up at the Northam. Other players like Robbie Savage, Dennis Wise or Paul ****ov get the same abuse and yet the know it alls say that it doesn't spur them on at all to rub our noses in it. Well, I just don't buy it. If some say that they are professionals, they don't hear it, they are focussed and concentrated, then everything that you have said about getting behind the team, cheering them on to victory, is all meaningless, isn't it?

So which side of the fence are you going to sit, as from where I see it , you want to have it both ways.

Incidentally, nowhere have I said that Phillips is a poor player, that had nobody been on his back he wouldn't have scored. That is a puerile and childish line of attack. As I already pointed out, it is perfectly possible for a striker to miss when seemingly it is easier to score and no doubt we have seen our strikers do it far too often. We rejected Kevin Phillips as a youngster playing in defence saying he wasn't big enough. He went on to become one of the best strikers. We rejected Scott Macdonald and look at him. Do you not think that there is an element of "I'll show them that they're wrong about me" that inspires them to greater efforts? Obviously not, according to some.

I stand by my original statement that of course they'll boo Phillips because they don't realise that such things act as a spur to revenge.

I'm really pleased that you added your contribution, as you have also been one of the most vocal advocates of the contribution that we fans can add to the success of the team, not so much in terms of bums on seats, but more especially in relation to the lift that we can give the youngsters by cheering them on. On the other side of the coin, I'm sure that you'd agree that by booing them, they will be discouraged from playing to their full potential because that is human nature. Players who are booed by their own fans either let their heads drop, or the ones who are mentally strong become determined to prove them wrong.

We as fans have picked out players from rival teams who we boo because of some prejudice that we have for them, either because they used to play for Pompey, or for some other reason. So when Claridge scored against us having taken a lot of stick, he took great delight in pointing to his name on his shirt back, the equivalent of sticking two fingers up at the Northam. Other players like Robbie Savage, Dennis Wise or Paul ****ov get the same abuse and yet the know it alls say that it doesn't spur them on at all to rub our noses in it. Well, I just don't buy it. If some say that they are professionals, they don't hear it, they are focussed and concentrated, then everything that you have said about getting behind the team, cheering them on to victory, is all meaningless, isn't it?

So which side of the fence are you going to sit, as from where I see it , you want to have it both ways.

Incidentally, nowhere have I said that Phillips is a poor player, that had nobody been on his back he wouldn't have scored. That is a puerile and childish line of attack. As I already pointed out, it is perfectly possible for a striker to miss when seemingly it is easier to score and no doubt we have seen our strikers do it far too often. We rejected Kevin Phillips as a youngster playing in defence saying he wasn't big enough. He went on to become one of the best strikers. We rejected Scott Macdonald and look at him. Do you not think that there is an element of "I'll show them that they're wrong about me" that inspires them to greater efforts? Obviously not, according to some.

I stand by my original statement that of course they'll boo Phillips because they don't realise that such things act as a spur to revenge.

No, no friend, I concur with you 100%. If you booed me, it would spur me on. If you cheered me, it would spur me on.

But the idea that the chanting affected his ability/opportunity to score in this game is, at best, 'optimistic'.

Like I said. The guy's a striker. If Birmingham are going to score, he is the most likely to when on the pitch.

In this case, he would have scored even if we had applauded him onto the pitch.

Here, what I would say is the he undoubtedly enjoyed the goal more by virtue of our vocal contribution, but did it make him any more likely to score?? No. It simply might have made him 'want' to score more. And yes, he might well have tried harder as a result, as you say 'to show us'.

But the ball fell to his feet two yards out. We'd have had to cut both his legs off to stop him, never mind the cheering/jeering!!

So the idea that not singing about his Mrs next Tuesday will spare us a goal, even with all my belief in fan-power, it's a lot of ****!! :) He wants a place in the starting line-up and will be giving 100% come what may.

Anyone who thinks fans songs cause opposition strikers to score goals has the brain of a 12 year old.

Fans songs don't cause opposition strikers to score, they don't cause our strikers to score, they don't encourage the players when they cheer, or discourage them when they boo them, after all the players are all professionals who are so concentrated on what they are doing that they have no distractions either way. :rolleyes:

We fans serve no useful purpose at all except by the money we pay through the turnstiles. Once we're inside, we might as well keep quiet, as it makes no difference whether we make a noise or not. :rolleyes:

We fans serve no useful purpose at all except by the money we pay through the turnstiles. Once we're inside, we might as well keep quiet, as it makes no difference whether we make a noise or not. :rolleyes:

that is different to the point of saying phillips scored as a result of fans giving him ****....the fact he scored from about 50cm out is clearly not an issue:rolleyes: nor that crap defending..:rolleyes:

Fans songs don't cause opposition strikers to score, they don't cause our strikers to score, they don't encourage the players when they cheer, or discourage them when they boo them, after all the players are all professionals who are so concentrated on what they are doing that they have no distractions either way. :rolleyes:

IMO cheering and encouragement obviously helps, as much as booing/abuse has the reverse effect. The idea that a player tries harder because of chants etc is rubbish.

I think players tend to score against their old clubs for a number of reasons, but this seems regardless of wether they get a good or bad reception. The problem is when players get abuse and they score everyone remembers it, you instantly forget the games where you give the player all-sorts of grief and they have an absolute stinker.

I remember at The Dell the players used to hate it when they got abuse, you could see it on their faces.

Le Tiss used to get a bit of stick as opposition fans knew he was a class player and was likely to score. You don't see many rubbish players getting abuse apart from maybe John permed haired scouser Bailey for Everton in the 80's.

Kevin Phillips is still a class player in this league and likely to score whether fans give him abuse or not. Personally i don't think he said too much wrong, just admitted the move didn't work out and he didn't do too bad for Saints in his time here. Happy memories of away wins at Wolves and Man City etc as well as his debut goal at Leicester.

As you're so fully able to get in the mind of Phillips and offer up his thoughts, perhaps you can do the same again and read the mind of the top racing pundit in the country and tell me which horses are going to win at Kempton on Monday. ;)

Afraid not - I have no idea if any of the horses have been insulted recently and are therefore more likely to win ;)

Saints fans get blamed a lot on this message board and here is another example. If you want to stay at home because of an activity that always happens at football matches or if you really want to get all worked up that the fans may have contributed to a goal then go ahead but in my opinion you will be wrong.

The motivations for footballers are many and abuse from opposition fans is just one tiny aspect and for every footballer that has scored/played well when receiving abuse there are as many who have fluffed it.

Two examples come to mind, Peter Crouch when he played for Villa was rocked by the abuse he got by the crowd and missed a sitter with his head from a few foot out, Fat Aussie W@nker got Viduka all worked up, he was useless and pulled a one on one wide.

So getting behind our players helps them and getting on their backs makes their head slump, but getting on the backs of the opposition spurs them on, makes no sense. Sports psychology works both ways the pressures that makes one person succeed makes another fold.

Having a pantomime villain has been part of football since I can remember, it’s an enjoyable pursuit as far as I’m concerned and worth the gamble that it might have a negative effect.

Lets face it that tosser Phillips will score against us what ever we do,so we might as well give him a load of stick and have a laugh as well,.

He had lots of games for us when he was given a chance and he didnt score,yet we persevered and he eventually came good,then he moved.Then he slagged us off,saying he didnt want to be here in the first place.

So i dont care if abuse makes him better,i will shout abuse to him every time he plays against us.

Phillips is a **** of the highest order.

Can anybody tell me exactly what Phillips originally said to cause such upset? From the reaction he gets you'd think he was Gary Glitter.

I seem to recall him saying when he left that he never really settled or felt happy here.

That didn't bother me in the slightest because whenever I saw him play, I thought he gave his all and did well for us.

wasnt it more along the lines of, 'i never wanted to go back to saints anyway.' He is a typical journeyman striker, did a job. no more no less.