Will Phillips get the same abuse.

bjk

Its Tuesday night its 0-0 theres 10 minutes to go and Kevin Phillips is about to come on.Will Kevs wife be getting the same publicity as she did last week,because if she does i aint going,he'll only come on and score the bloody winner again.

Can anybody tell me exactly what Phillips originally said to cause such upset? From the reaction he gets you'd think he was Gary Glitter.

I seem to recall him saying when he left that he never really settled or felt happy here.

That didn't bother me in the slightest because whenever I saw him play, I thought he gave his all and did well for us.

Yes, of course he'll get the abuse. It was mindless and the perpetrators won't have made any connection with the possibility that it motivated him to rub our noses in it by scoring.

Do be ridiculous. Phillips is a professional who would have tried his absolute best to score whether he was getting abuse or not. Do you really think he thought "I was just going to walk around the pitch doing nothing but now they're singing songs about my wife I'm going to try to score". Of course not.

Do be ridiculous. Phillips is a professional who would have tried his absolute best to score whether he was getting abuse or not. Do you really think he thought "I was just going to walk around the pitch doing nothing but now they're singing songs about my wife I'm going to try to score". Of course not.

There is definitely something that pushes his button, he sure has scored enough goals in his time. Any goal is good but slightly sweeter against one of your former clubs.

He was going to score whether we sang it or not. We gave him just as much abuse at the Hawthorns last season and he was absolutely ****e that game, missing chance after chance. It won't make any difference either way.

but he did score in that game as well though.

Fans can sing about him all they want, but I think they should recognise that he took the micky taking in good spirits acknowledging the songs with a smile on his face.

You obviously don't understand the difference that is introduced by the psychological aspects, so I'll lump you in with those who may well carry on chanting abuse because they don't think it will have any effect.

Sports Psychologists are a total and utter waste of time and money, aren't they, as the players are all professionals and don't need it. So all this talk about players wanting to lift their games to impress a new manager, players motivated to play in a higher division because they're in the play-offs, all complete tosh, utter bunk. :rolleyes:

If somebody broadcast it publicly that they'd screwed your wife (if you have one) you'd not react in any way? You wouldn't feel the desire to go and punch his lights out? In this situation, it isn't possible to go and punch everybody who chants it, but it is possible to rub their noses in it by scoring the winning goal. And having done that, did Phillips then shrug his shoulders and think that he was just doing his job, or did he mentally think YES!!! that will teach the ignorant c*nts? If something along those lines was what he thought at the time, then patently it was what motivated him. But if you can't see that, I'll not waste my breath any further on anybody who isn't capable of grasping a reasoned concept.

im sorry..but you cannot justify the goal he scored from about 50cm out was down to the fans giving him stick...

he is a bloody good striker at this level and would be more shocked he he not scored...

John has probably missed a few of those ;)

But what motivated him to get in that position, to almost bludgeon the ball over the line? I agree that he is a bloody good striker though and I wish that we could have kept him.

You obviously don't understand the difference that is introduced by the psychological aspects, so I'll lump you in with those who may well carry on chanting abuse because they don't think it will have any effect.

Sports Psychologists are a total and utter waste of time and money, aren't they, as the players are all professionals and don't need it. So all this talk about players wanting to lift their games to impress a new manager, players motivated to play in a higher division because they're in the play-offs, all complete tosh, utter bunk. :rolleyes:

If somebody broadcast it publicly that they'd screwed your wife (if you have one) you'd not react in any way? You wouldn't feel the desire to go and punch his lights out? In this situation, it isn't possible to go and punch everybody who chants it, but it is possible to rub their noses in it by scoring the winning goal. And having done that, did Phillips then shrug his shoulders and think that he was just doing his job, or did he mentally think YES!!! that will teach the ignorant c*nts? If something along those lines was what he thought at the time, then patently it was what motivated him. But if you can't see that, I'll not waste my breath any further on anybody who isn't capable of grasping a reasoned concept.

Phillips is a very good player who has scored hundreds of goals in his career and once scored more than 30 goals in one Premiership season. If you think the only reason someone like that scored that simple goal because of the abuse he received from the crowd then you're an idiot. I sure he may have been extra pleased to have scored it, but that doesn't change the fact that he would have scored no matter what anyone sung or didn't sing.

John has probably missed a few of those ;)

But what motivated him to get in that position, to almost bludgeon the ball over the line? I agree that he is a bloody good striker though and I wish that we could have kept him.

To score the winning goal for the second time in 2 games for his new club from the bench, which will give his club 3 more points and probably get him a starting berth next time?

or to show it to a few fans that he probably couldn't hear anyway as he was focused on his game, like most professionals are.

Its Tuesday night its 0-0 theres 10 minutes to go and Kevin Phillips is about to come on.Will Kevs wife be getting the same publicity as she did last week,because if she does i aint going,he'll only come on and score the bloody winner again.

It seems that you're just looking for an excuse not to go to the game.

Yes my mistake, it was the season before he scored against us. A game where he was berated constantly I might add.

most good players get berated constantly...that tis the nature.

on the other hand...at times out players have had unbelievable support and in return, been utterly pathetic..

Utter tosh.

He had an open goal from a yard. Accept that the banter was harmless fun.

Utter tosh.

He had an open goal from a yard. Accept that the banter was harmless fun.

I'll accept that it is your opinion, but please also accept that my view is different and unless you get Phillip's own view on it, then your argument has no more validity than mine, except that you'll probably find that most sensible people would put some credence on the proposition that sports psychology is not bunk. Just carry on the chants on Tuesday and let's see if he is motivated to rub our noses in it again.

Wes do you honestly believe Phillips wouldn't have scored if he hadn't got any abuse from the crowd?

Also, if the chanting has such a negative effect, how do you explain Phillips being utter garbage/missing an open goal when we played West Brom in April, even though he got a load of abuse from our fans again?

I await another tedious patronising reply.

Phillips is a very good player who has scored hundreds of goals in his career and once scored more than 30 goals in one Premiership season. If you think the only reason someone like that scored that simple goal because of the abuse he received from the crowd then you're an idiot. I sure he may have been extra pleased to have scored it, but that doesn't change the fact that he would have scored no matter what anyone sung or didn't sing.

You don't know that for sure and cannot prove it either way unless you ask Phillips. And in the spirit of name calling to anybody who has a different point of view to you, you are the bigger idiot if you can't see that there are incentives both financial and mental that do motivate people to achieve different things beyond their professional status.

Wes do you honestly believe Phillips wouldn't have scored if he hadn't got any abuse from the crowd?

Also, if the chanting has such a negative effect, how do you explain Phillips being utter garbage/missing an open goal when we played West Brom in April, even though he got a load of abuse from our fans again?

I await another tedious patronising reply.

You have my deepest sympathies. Is that patronising enough?

I'll accept that it is your opinion, but please also accept that my view is different and unless you get Phillip's own view on it, then your argument has no more validity than mine, except that you'll probably find that most sensible people would put some credence on the proposition that sports psychology is not bunk. Just carry on the chants on Tuesday and let's see if he is motivated to rub our noses in it again.

Phillip's opinion would be:

"I was about half a yard out. The ball fell to me. I tapped it in. It had nothing to do with any songs."

If you honestly think that Kevin Phillips, one of the best English goalscorers in the last 10 years, was motivated to get into that position by the crowd and not by the fact that he had been sat on the bench for 75 minutes while his team struggled to find a winner, you are off your rocker.

Sports psychology or not, in this case the abuse clearly had absolutely nothing to do with the goal.

Scoring that goal will not heal his pain - SFC fans 1 : KP 0

Gotta expect it in the gladiators arena - it's always gonna happen as football appeals to all sections of human nature but ppppppperlease to not go because fans sings songs that may just have an inkling of a bearing on whether a goal is scored or not whatever next

Phillip's opinion would be:

"I was about half a yard out. The ball fell to me. I tapped it in. It had nothing to do with any songs."

If you honestly think that Kevin Phillips, one of the best English goalscorers in the last 10 years, was motivated to get into that position by the crowd and not by the fact that he had been sat on the bench for 75 minutes while his team struggled to find a winner, you are off your rocker.

Sports psychology or not, in this case the abuse clearly had absolutely nothing to do with the goal.

As you're so fully able to get in the mind of Phillips and offer up his thoughts, perhaps you can do the same again and read the mind of the top racing pundit in the country and tell me which horses are going to win at Kempton on Monday. ;)

Yes, of course he'll get the abuse. It was mindless and the perpetrators won't have made any connection with the possibility that it motivated him to rub our noses in it by scoring.

So if we join in singing Super Kev with the Brum fans there's no chance he will score as he will have no motivation?

You are mental. Supakev is a great striker - always has been.

There is a slender possibility he may have wanted to score more to rub ur noses in it.

But he's a striker who had the ball fall at his feet, two yards out.

Are you seriously suggesting, that had we not sung, the ball would have landed in the box and SKP would have been on the halfway line planning his run...???

What happened is what anyone over the age of 35 knows as 'sod's law'...

As you're so fully able to get in the mind of Phillips and offer up his thoughts, perhaps you can do the same again and read the mind of the top racing pundit in the country and tell me which horses are going to win at Kempton on Monday. ;)

I can tell you, given it's on the all-weather, they will be second-rate horses running for feck all money. Look out for anything trained by Gaye Kellaway and ridden by John Egan... (hth)... ;)