Best Centre Backs

AndyD

I think Cork will go to RB and replace Killer at CB when needed. Perry will prolly get more games at CB than any of the rest.

Maybe James will get pushed up to RM but there is far more compition there and it means someone that is playing well will miss out.

mind you White has got into the team recently and it wouldnt take much to shuffle the team to get him back on the bench which will let off some of the pressure on the young lad.

All these changes everywhere and we still havnt seen much of Dyer and BWP who are both fairly young and have experienace at this level. I hope they are busting a nut in training fighting for there chance and pushing those in the team to fight to keep there place.

I think Cork will go to RB and replace Killer at CB when needed. Perry will prolly get more games at CB than any of the rest.

Maybe James will get pushed up to RM but there is far more compition there and it means someone that is playing well will miss out.

mind you White has got into the team recently and it wouldnt take much to shuffle the team to get him back on the bench which will let off some of the pressure on the young lad.

All these changes everywhere and we still havnt seen much of Dyer and BWP who are both fairly young and have experienace at this level. I hope they are busting a nut in training fighting for there chance and pushing those in the team to fight to keep there place.

Much needed humour on the site. Did you see BWP's non-reaction to Lallana's goal the other night?

I have a feeling that Killer and Cork will be the main 2 this season! Thoughts?

Seeing as we only have Cork until January, that could be tricky (unless we're lucky enough to get an extension). Don't mean that to sound sarky.

Svensson will need resting from time to time so I am unsure. Thomas is back up but, seeing as we lost Davies, it's a tricky one. Not seen Cork enough but I feel he'll be better served as a full back, seeing as we're thin in this area (well, thin in defence imho)

I've a feeling, with injuries, Wotton will be draughted in and I pray Svensson stays injury free as we could struggle once the season starts to take it's toll.

I think Perry will be a main stay alongside Svensson, who will be rotated and the use of the youth, gradually, alongside Michael. What natural position is Lancarshire?

Seeing as we only have Cork until January, that could be tricky (unless we're lucky enough to get an extension). Don't mean that to sound sarky.

Svensson will need resting from time to time so I am unsure. Thomas is back up but, seeing as we lost Davies, it's a tricky one. Not seen Cork enough but I feel he'll be better served as a full back, seeing as we're thin in this area (well, thin in defence imho)

I've a feeling, with injuries, Wotton will be draughted in and I pray Svensson stays injury free as we could struggle once the season starts to take it's toll.

I think Perry will be a main stay alongside Svensson, who will be rotated and the use of the youth, gradually, alongside Michael. What natural position is Lancarshire?

If he plays enough he'll stay another 6-months I'm sure. Its not like he'll suddenly be good enough for the Chelski first team.

And Lancashire is a CB as far as I know.

Much as I think Michael Svensson is the best CB in the Championship, bar none, I do do feel that his having to rest his knee, and so being restricted to one game per week, is almost an advantage to Poortvliet. It encourages the coach to bring on the younger CBs while we have this situation.

Of course, I'd rather Michael Svensson's knee was 100%, but a 90% Michael Svensson is better than none at all.

Much needed humour on the site. Did you see BWP's non-reaction to Lallana's goal the other night?

To be fair he probably is not happy at being kept out of the side by some of the kids, and even less happier when they prove they deserve to be there as it limits his chances further.

I can accept that and understand his frustration.

What I want to know is what he is oing about it? and I hope like I said above is that he is busting a nut to try to force his way back into the reckoning. he seems to pop up allot on the pictures for stories on the OS and usually within a few yards of JP. It could be that he is knuckling down and doing what he can to impress?

I would like him to do well and be an absolute Gem for us but wouldnt be too bothered if he moved on either.

But IF he is putting the effort in when training then it must be having an effect on those in the team to keep there game up to keep the likes of BWP out.

To be fair he probably is not happy at being kept out of the side by some of the kids, and even less happier when they prove they deserve to be there as it limits his chances further.

I can accept that and understand his frustration.

What I want to know is what he is oing about it? and I hope like I said above is that he is busting a nut to try to force his way back into the reckoning. he seems to pop up allot on the pictures for stories on the OS and usually within a few yards of JP. It could be that he is knuckling down and doing what he can to impress?

I would like him to do well and be an absolute Gem for us but wouldnt be too bothered if he moved on either.

But IF he is putting the effort in when training then it must be having an effect on those in the team to keep there game up to keep the likes of BWP out.

OK, this is a thread about CBs, but that's a good point about BWP, which I want to comment on.

I find that BWP is a perfectly capable player. He has plenty of skill, speed and balance. What he lacks is between his ears. He does all the things wrong that require thought and vision; i.e. staying onside, playing the right pass, knowing when to run, and when to stay put.

That kind of thing can easily be coached into a player, but they have to have the brains to assimilate it. I'm not at all sure at the moment that BWP does have that capacity.

OK, this is a thread about CBs, but that's a good point about BWP, which I want to comment on.

I find that BWP is a perfectly capable player. He has plenty of skill, speed and balance. What he lacks is between his ears. He does all the things wrong that require thought and vision; i.e. staying onside, playing the right pass, knowing when to run, and when to stay put.

That kind of thing can easily be coached into a player, but they have to have the brains to assimilate it. I'm not at all sure at the moment that BWP does have that capacity.

Sorry I rambled onto a different subject but I agree with what your saying. He could have it and he could be a gem for us but should we be bothered to get the best out of him when we have kids that are further along in there deveelopment?

Back to CB's we do have a couple of youngens coming through but CB is usually 1 of the few positions that you need an older head. Not many kids have that mentality so I suppose its a bit more riskyer to utalise them.

lallana gets say 5 chances up front he can afford to make 4 mistakes if he gets a goal or pruduces one with the 5th. Defenders dont have that luxury

Sorry I rambled onto a different subject but I agree with what your saying. He could have it and he could be a gem for us but should we be bothered to get the best out of him when we have kids that are further along in there deveelopment?

Back to CB's we do have a couple of youngens coming through but CB is usually 1 of the few positions that you need an older head. Not many kids have that mentality so I suppose its a bit more riskyer to utalise them.

lallana gets say 5 chances up front he can afford to make 4 mistakes if he gets a goal or pruduces one with the 5th. Defenders dont have that luxury

Why not, maybe the opposition striker will make the same mistakes as Llalana and miss the first 4. In my opinion only for GK's experience is really important. For other positions it doesn't matter that much as long as there's at least one or two more experienced heads in the team.

Why not, maybe the opposition striker will make the same mistakes as Llalana and miss the first 4. In my opinion only for GK's experience is really important. For other positions it doesn't matter that much as long as there's at least one or two more experienced heads in the team.

I dont mean the youngsters shouldnt get a chance in defence just that the ones that do need to be right mentally. there are not many kids about with older wiser heads on there shoulders which is probably why most defenders are a bit older.

My analogy using Lallana wasnt meant to be like that. put a more experienced decent goal scorer in the same positions and he may well get 2 or 3 out of 5. Lallana has the skill and the ability but being so young he is prone to thinking with a young head and making the wrong decision. Thats not a flaw its just to be expected and in time he will make more and more of the right decissions.

As a CB if you make 5 mistakes in a game and that leads to 2 or 3 goals against and your wolrd is going to look a hell of a allot smaller. All defenders make mistakes as do all players. Killer nearly made a mistake last week and we were lucky KD saved the 1 on 1. But IMO a youngster needs to have a really wise head in order to make the right decissions more often than not and then let his youthful skill do the rest.

If we had to rely on Racine and lancashire this season we would be in a whole heap of trouble and they are both rated Very highly.

I agree with you that youngsters tend to make wrong decisions more often, mainly because they haven't been confronted with matches at this level and speed that often but I don't agree that this is more difficult for defenders then attackers. Both will make mistakes but it will cost us just as much. If Llalana picks out the wrong pass it could cost us a goal and if Lancashire mistimes a header it could cost us a goal, it doesn't really matter at what end it happens. Besides that, they need to play to learn and although relying on player like Racine and Lancashire as your first choice would be bad I don't see much of a problem in them being first back-up for Svensson and Perry. Especially since we could get a loan in if one of them would be injured longterm.

I agree with you that youngsters tend to make wrong decisions more often, mainly because they haven't been confronted with matches at this level and speed that often but I don't agree that this is more difficult for defenders then attackers. Both will make mistakes but it will cost us just as much. If Llalana picks out the wrong pass it could cost us a goal and if Lancashire mistimes a header it could cost us a goal, it doesn't really matter at what end it happens. Besides that, they need to play to learn and although relying on player like Racine and Lancashire as your first choice would be bad I don't see much of a problem in them being first back-up for Svensson and Perry. Especially since we could get a loan in if one of them would be injured longterm.

So the dross we had last season, was the slow, underperforming, non running, unmotivated, poor passing, bad defending, non scoring, experienced players making the right decisions.

The team don't seem to be making many errors at all.

So the dross we had last season, was the slow, underperforming, non running, unmotivated, poor passing, bad defending, non scoring, experienced players making the right decisions.

No, that is not what I said. I just said that youngster tend to make mistakes. I never said all experienced players don't do that, quality, motivation, etc. does come into the question as well. But you have two players of the same level of quality and both highly motivated would you play the one with 300+ games under his belt or the youngster in his first season? I'm all for using youngsters but we have to be prepared for the odd mistake, both offensively and defensively.

Dont think we are getting at that and last season should only be used as a bench mark that we never want to return to.

I was much rather see the team we have right now over any of the teams we have had going back to our FA Cup final season. In fact there are 1 or 2 I would probably swap for a couple of todays team.

But right now we have a keeper and 2 centre backs with a shed load of expierience and a mix of youth and experience expressing themselves over the rest of the park.

Racine and Lancashire IMO are the future and it would be great to see them get a few run outs throughout the season but a mistake in defence can be far more costly that a mistake up front so they shouldnt be rushed.

If Killer, Perry and Thomas can stay fit right through the season then we can play the youngens when it suits us and bring them on at the right speed.

My prefered CB's would be Perry and Svensson if for nothing else but 100's of games of experience. Personally I would bench Surman and play Cork there as supposedly he can play all across the back 4. Surman then used as a sub for whoever tires of Gillet or MS.

My Back 5 would then be;

Davis

James Svensson Perry Cork