New road bike - recommendations?

Minty

Looking for a new road bike - been years since I bought a bike and that was a hybrid... decided I want to get a road bike through the governments cyclescheme, and want something half decent, without breaking the bank (up to about £800 I reckon will be affordable for me when taken through the govt scheme).

Will be used mostly for commuting so relative comfort preferable to straight speed, although I may think about doing a duathlon or triathlon at some point, but that's secondary really.

Any cyclists out there got any recommendations?

You will struggle to beat Boardman bikes for value. Top spec / frames for the price.

The upside is that Halfords have the sole rights so the bikes are widely available and this is why the price is very competitive. BUT this is also the main downside - you will be best advised to put the bike together yourself, or at the very least check it thoroughly when you get home, as some Halfords staff are pants.

Oh, lastly, you may come across a little bit of brand "snobbery" from others if you have a Boardman, but most sensible riders agree they are excellent value. I have a Boardman MTB and it is fantastic

Edited by Bucks Saint

Depends what you want really. There is so much at the £1000 price point because of the cycle to work scheme but I'd hang on until September / October and pick up a discounted 2014 bike, that's what I'm doing on my n+1, which I've narrowed down to 3 choices.

Do you want full carbon, do you want alu with carbon forks? Shimano or Campag? British? Prestige brand? Relaxed geometry or racing?

FWIW I think something like this is fantastic value (or will be in the sales) but then I ride an Italian bike (Bianchi) but with campag.

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16767&Item=%27Wilier%20Izoard%20XP%20105%202014%20Road/Racing%20Bike%27

Yes there is brand snobbery. I wouldn't buy Broadman, despite my wife riding one, as to me they are souless. Stupid really I know.

You'll never really know until you ride it but with so much choice at similar spec around £1000 buy what you like the look of and no matter what you get, by next Spring, you'll be looking to upgrade.

Do you want full carbon, do you want alu with carbon forks? Shimano or Campag? British? Prestige brand? Relaxed geometry or racing?

I have no idea. I haven't cycled much for years apart from a bit of commuting a few years ago. I care not for brand or 'prestige' just a solid value bike that I can use for the commute and perhaps the odd event. I certainly won't be looking to upgrade in a year, I simply can't afford it.

£800 is really the top end of what I can afford too, £600 is perhaps more realistic but with some headroom if there is a good offer.

I have no idea. I haven't cycled much for years apart from a bit of commuting a few years ago. I care not for brand or 'prestige' just a solid value bike that I can use for the commute and perhaps the odd event. I certainly won't be looking to upgrade in a year, I simply can't afford it.

£800 is really the top end of what I can afford too, £600 is perhaps more realistic but with some headroom if there is a good offer.

20% off the Boardmans in the £500 to £700 range right now. Read the reviews (not just on the Halfords site, on test review sites)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&categoryId=165555&langId=-1&action=listrefine&scope=inl||partnumber||10||593287||593139||593337||593238||593188||593386||343506||343514||343522||343530&constraints=sor||Price||1&cm_re=Brand+Pages-_-Boardman-_-OfferBox2

Have a look through this lot. http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/index.php?CG_ID=2&CS_ID=23

Moda and Mekk offer some great value bikes as does Forme.

Edited by View From The Top

If you can, find a decent LBS ( Local Bike Shop ) and see what they have, it also gives you the opportunity to seek their advice and you should also be able to arrange test rides. FWIW I wouldn't bother with full carbon, unless you are really keen or racing an alu frame with carbon forks will be comfortable and responsive enough. As for gearing, a compact chainset with Shimano components is the easiest to get used to and maintain.

Well, that didn't go so well. Went the Bike shop and spent almost twice the budget. He didn't even have to up sell me - I did a decent enough job of that on my own!!!

Need to come up with a plausible excuse for the missus other than "Sorry I just got shiny kit syndrome"

Well, that didn't go so well. Went the Bike shop and spent almost twice the budget. He didn't even have to up sell me - I did a decent enough job of that on my own!!!

Need to come up with a plausible excuse for the missus other than "Sorry I just got shiny kit syndrome"

Lie about the price !

Wife-Joke.jpg

( What did you end up buying ? )

Edited by badgerx16

Alternatively - get her involved as well. I got my Van Nicholas because my wife INSISTED that I wanted it, ( I wasn't going to argue ). Also, we went shopping on Saturday to buy a new settee and I ended up with a load of new cycling kit as well.

Don't fret, in less than 12 months you'll be craving a newer, lighter, better spec'd, go faster, bike. It's called n+1 syndrome and I've got it bad!

Alternatively - get her involved as well. I got my Van Nicholas because my wife INSISTED that I wanted it, ( I wasn't going to argue ). Also, we went shopping on Saturday to buy a new settee and I ended up with a load of new cycling kit as well.

My Mrs rides as well. It certainly does make things easier, especially as I brought her the bike. ;)

Well I ended up with a Giant Defy 2014 105, before good sense and self preservation kicked in.

I can see this hobby becoming ridiculous in terms of pathetic justifications why last years chain set just wont do and that the new unobtainium version is absolutely essential.

Well I ended up with a Giant Defy 2014 105, before good sense and self preservation kicked in.

I can see this hobby becoming ridiculous in terms of pathetic justifications why last years chain set just wont do and that the new unobtainium version is absolutely essential.

You wait until the addiction kicks in. If it does, you're fuucked.

There's a Saints group on Strava if you're interested. http://www.strava.com/clubs/45350

I used to have this addiction with camera equipment, but managed to get over it, so I hope it won't be a problem once I get a bike...

Endorphins are your friend and thus the pain becomes glorious and you'll want to ride further, faster and climb bigger hills and to do what you'll want a better frame, better drive train, better wheels, stiffer shoes etc.

Like.

my excuse is that I have never used clip pedals before and there was no way I was going out on greasy roads in those for the first time.

as I learnt today, novice + clip ins + hill + traffic lights = not so graceful emergency dismount

Went and had a look at a few today (not dismissing the other suggestions so far, but need to see some in the flesh and look at parts etc...)

Had the Cube Peloton Race recommended to me - a little more than I was planning on but on 0% finance that wouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts on that particular bike? Seems to have good reviews.

Went and had a look at a few today (not dismissing the other suggestions so far, but need to see some in the flesh and look at parts etc...)

Had the Cube Peloton Race recommended to me - a little more than I was planning on but on 0% finance that wouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts on that particular bike? Seems to have good reviews.

Decent bike although I know of 2 that have had cracked frames. Warranty is only 3 years.

Decent bike although I know of 2 that have had cracked frames. Warranty is only 3 years.

I got a Cube Peloton 2010 as my first road bike for years through Cycle scheme. It's still going strong. A real work horse used for commuting and abuse by sweat on the turbo. Spec is not dissimilar to mine. Mate has one too, has just used it to cycle along Rhine from Basel to Rotterdam. Sizing is an issue with Cubes the frames come up on the small side so worth Minty trying one out and/or getting fitted.

I got a Cube Peloton 2010 as my first road bike for years through Cycle scheme. It's still going strong. A real work horse used for commuting and abuse by sweat on the turbo. Spec is not dissimilar to mine. Mate has one too, has just used it to cycle along Rhine from Basel to Rotterdam. Sizing is an issue with Cubes the frames come up on the small side so worth Minty trying one out and/or getting fitted.

One of my riding mates had a crack in his (2013 model). Local Cube dealer got it sorted for a 2014 model and the bike was then ebayed and replaced with a Specialized Tarmac.

Other crack, bottom bracket, was a rider from work. They got theirs swapped easily enough as well.

Good looking bikes IMHO.

One of my riding mates had a crack in his (2013 model). Local Cube dealer got it sorted for a 2014 model and the bike was then ebayed and replaced with a Specialized Tarmac.

Other crack, bottom bracket, was a rider from work. They got theirs swapped easily enough as well.

Good looking bikes IMHO.

Not heard of any similar instances. They are good lookers even if the ride can be a bit on the harsh side. Mine looks a lot worse for wear though. Paint is bubbling on top tube and down tube due to winter use on turbo. Just had a settlement figure of £65 (7%) to pay after 4 years, so not a bad bike for around £450. I've certainly had my money's worth out of it. When I first bought the Ridley which is a far superior machine in every way I still had issues cracking times I had previously done on the Cube, until I got the Ksyrium Elites on it. Give me the Ridley any day now. That said I've got my eye on one of these as n+1.

http://www.pinterest.com/cyclea/2014-cervelo-r3-with-ultegra-11-speed/

This is what I've got my eyes on as n+1. Will be a retirement present to me. I've had my fill of stroppy teenagers especially as my job involves the super stroppy so I'm hoping to bail out of teaching around Easter after the thick end of 35 years. Reckon the Cervelo R3 is just rewa\rd.

Haha ;-)

i was was returning to the bike after a 12 year hiatus of cigarettes and beer.... The former slim self was still inside me... Sadly it looked like I had eaten him.... Especially as after 20 years of smoking, then finally giving up in Jan (clean since the 5th Jan) , and on went even more pounds. I still had a nice Cannondale from 2001... But being a bloke, the thought of a shines new modern carbon beast appealed... Mrs F's C even agreed and said I could spend the princely sum of £500.... I felt this sum somewhat miserly considering the wheel upgrade I had in mind would come in at that with a little negotiating... So I formed a cunning plan...I said, " my dearest, as I have finally succumbed to you constant nagging these past 20 years, to give up the cancer weed... And have been successful, would it not be fair to allow me to spend what I would have spend on fags in a year?" And by some miracle, I am assuming she still though cigs were around £2 a pack.... She was a little surprised when I cam home with a Trek Modane 4.7 with Mavic Cosmic elites.... And was duels told it actually came in about £100 less than the amount of shied to used to pump into my lungs in a year... Now it's 30 miles a day and about 80-120 most weekends... Lost 10kg so far ( a fair way still to go because yes I was a fat bastard) - but am now addicted, planning to do the L'tape In 3 years time and saving for the next bike;-) - where will it end.... Not shaved the legs yet kind. That rubicon need to be crossed at some point but not yet....

Good choice the Giant Defy. Bought one last year and it's a great bike for long rides (I have the carbon fibre variety) and still feel comfortable and strong after 80+ miles on this bike. Great for the mountains and flats - as View From The Top says, well worth waiting until the bike becomes "last season". My bike was half price at $900 (yeah, know that's not the UK).

This thread has been very helpful, and also very confusing. So much choice! Gonna have to start somewhere.

The Cube I was recommended comes with Mavic wheels, hence it is apparently excellent value.

Think I'm going to buy from a local shop rather than online for my first. Going to look at some more later today.

This thread has been very helpful, and also very confusing. So much choice! Gonna have to start somewhere.

The Cube I was recommended comes with Mavic wheels, hence it is apparently excellent value.

Think I'm going to buy from a local shop rather than online for my first. Going to look at some more later today.

Depends on what Mavic wheels they are TBF.

You'll not go wrong with a Cube nor buying from a LBS. They'll always look after you.

Aksium.

Another recommendation from a friend for the Whyte Dorset - as I intend to commute on it year round, the disc brakes apparently much better?

After riding in a monsoon yesterday, including some fast descents (topped out at 92kmph) I can see why disc brakes are coming to road bikes. I have them on my hybrid and they stop you! Mine were marsh mellowish yesterday.

After riding in a monsoon yesterday, including some fast descents (topped out at 92kmph) I can see why disc brakes are coming to road bikes. I have them on my hybrid and they stop you! Mine were marsh mellowish yesterday.

Have you read Geronimo Dave, Tim Moore's account of his re-enactment (sort of) of the hardest Giro of all in 1914. Wooden rims and self made cork brake blocks. Now that's got to be scary!

I dont mean to hijack the thread here but I too have been thinking about getting myself a road bike recently. 29 years old and getting a little heavier than I used to be so need something to slow that down a little. I have been looking at the following bikes, and recommendations on these, or any other suggestions is really appreciated.

Bike 1 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-gts-sport-2014/

Bike 2 - http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/scott-speedster-60-2014-road-bike.html

Bike 3 - http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bikes/gt-gtr-series-3-2014-bike-white/10968383.html

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

I dont mean to hijack the thread here but I too have been thinking about getting myself a road bike recently. 29 years old and getting a little heavier than I used to be so need something to slow that down a little. I have been looking at the following bikes, and recommendations on these, or any other suggestions is really appreciated.

Bike 1 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-gts-sport-2014/

Bike 2 - http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/scott-speedster-60-2014-road-bike.html

Bike 3 - http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bikes/gt-gtr-series-3-2014-bike-white/10968383.html

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

A) What sort of riding are you going to do?

B) What's your budget?

I've binned my n+1 plans for a year and invested in some new carbon cranks and rings as I'd been putting too much power through them and I'd hooked the teeth causing the chain to slip at times when putting the power down. It had also caused the rear cassette to hook as well so a upgrade there as well.

Means a mixed groupset (Athena, Centaur & Veloce) but love my bike and I'll upgrade shifters and mechs next summer to full Athena.

I might even stick some new hoops on but as I already have Fulcrum Quattro's I'd have to go to Fulcrum Racing 1s or Racing Zeroes to really notice and zeroes are £800 which is a bit steep.

A) What sort of riding are you going to do?

B) What's your budget?

Mostly out on my own, no interest in anything off road so going to be finding some road routes around Telford, getting a bit of fitness and hopefully getting near be able to do a 22 mile commute into the Shrewsbury area. As for budget, want to get everything kitted out for less than £1000 if I can.

Mostly out on my own, no interest in anything off road so going to be finding some road routes around Telford, getting a bit of fitness and hopefully getting near be able to do a 22 mile commute into the Shrewsbury area. As for budget, want to get everything kitted out for less than £1000 if I can.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better bike than this at the price. http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-1-2014.html

I live in Stafford and ride a lot in West Staffordshire and into Shropshire, both the hills south of Ironbridge (Clee Hill, Long Mynd) and around Ellesmere, Wem, Hodnet, Hinstock, Market Drayton so you've got a great choice of flat/rolling and proper hills to ride. The roads either side of the A41 between Newport and Market Drayton are very quiet and perfect for roadies.

Cheers for that VftT I thought you were relativity local to me. I will take a look at that bike but I think by the time I add helmet, shoes etc I might be stretching the budget a bit.

Helmet = £30. Shoes = £40. Cleats = £15. Bib Shorts = £40. Jersey = £30.

You really don't need to go crazy on gear to begin with especially now the sales are on but you get what you pay for with your bike so choose carefully. Ride a few, get the feel of them if you can but also remember the sales are coming and that can mean so big savings.

You also need to think about if mudguards can be fitted if you are using if for a commute (easy enough to put on and off) and also what clearance it has for tyres as you may not want skinny 23s on for commuting.

I'd recommend a visit to your LBS, they are always really helpful types.

This site has some really excellent bikes on at decent prices. http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/index.php?CG_ID=2&CS_ID=23

Edited by View From The Top