Black boots

Window Cleaner

Bit off topic but reminds me of when I started playing and we had ankle high real leather boots with heavy toe caps (ideal for toe ending the heavy footballs in rainy conditions) and studs which had to be nailed in.

Vividly remember finishing games with bloodied soles on my feet and the heavy woollen footie socks shredded.

It was a major progression onto the light weight moulded sole boots, probably early 60's

First pair I had were Stanley Matthews specials from the Co-Op (in Woolston I think)

Remember upsetting my Mum one day when I played in goal using her best pair of leather gloves.

Glad to see things have moved on nowadays but wouldn't like to pay upwards of £200 or so for a pair of 'dancing pumps'

I have nothing to speculate, but here are some pics:

459742892-yaya-toure-of-manchester-city-tackles-morgan-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QWZz0WWQwxwmsBwGfDIRwCxB1JYuRWD23Bsln2bK4oZktIx8zjPlWaCy5kZ6YY0wKw%3d%3d

459742524-yaya-toure-of-manchester-city-tackles-morgan-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QcJzl2LUb5cLHvIoAfKZt19yf89fi5lsnRI%2fqHXfSqp8VBoiu4FD%2b0o930BUiKlr7g%3d%3d

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-GmtE-dyGz8-Dniui3igeT_wTskrq6yE-x6Y3JBTUqarzV2OD

The pink/red inside colour can be seen on the away kit pic. Morgan's been wearing the turquoise colour ones most of the season though.

459768758-morgan-schneiderlin-of-southampton-in-action-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qal%2bZtgVSwFeIimSjVZEf5r7l2fjd1J2qIKcdeh2%2fwuKV1O8%2fHHbvWqb%2bVlKpgKZEA%3d%3d

Wanyama was wearing the yellow Magistas earlier in the season:

458227616-mohamed-diame-of-hull-city-challenged-by-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QYYdgmEi6UDlS1tedg2o1zA4GNpY13eTcHgsWfAnKedrwSTuuYKdcTXDkyDA%2fNDDtQ%3d%3d

and he's now wearing the turquoise ones blacked out.

460158838-southamptons-kenyan-midfielder-victor-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QR5FdUBgiEEzPnmFUSO%2bh7fkZw6HMvbXtexLCtbiI%2fgWJhMOvp4VtIIdi%2bNgsOXdWQ%3d%3d

Edited by The9

unfortunately I think the aim is to extract money from boot companies and not not be seen dead in Saturday Night Fever Dancing Pumps.

I have to say that since I've retired from playing (last new boots I had were in December 2010), I've become more and more bewildered at who in the hell would want to be seen in the ever-more ridiculous boots which are being produced. It's practically an in-joke at the expense of the entire football industry by the top boot brands - who can produce the ugliest, stupidest, most pointless design? Now they're releasing different colourways of their various silos practically every week, and charging double what they used to for elite boots which are better than the super-premiums, and anything else they can think of to extract money. Glow in the dark boots? You play football in the dark then?

Then again I never wore a single pair of coloured boots between 1981 and 2014 to begin with. I appreciated the design features and got on board with Predators and blades and suchlike, but the coloured boot stuff was always ridiculous to me.

The worst is when footballers wear a boot in one colour on one foot and another colour on the other foot. Perhaps they don't their left and right.

Furthermore, what's with the growing trend for 'namby pamby' flourescent footballs !

Ah yes the Puma WC boots, pink and turquoise, wags are probably wearing them to shopping trips now.

Proper boots those - none of this fluorescent namby pamby stuff

Nah, in my day boots were real boots and came halfway up your legs. The studs were made of a stack of circles of leather and were nailed to the sole. If you got caught by a kcik you stayed kicked. These modern slippers are rubbish:thumbdown:

I'm not sure, they might have been. They were so old that any marking would have rubbed off but I don't think branding came in until the 70s anyway.

They might have been my grandfather's.

Or his grandfather's...

err Jimmy Grimble is a Manchester City loving schoolboy who gets given a pair of "magic boots" by an old dear in a slum house. He wins some Manchester schools tournament all by himself, believing that his boots are magic in some way, until some wag throws them in a skip (or the Manchester Ship Canal, can't remember) and he loses all his powers. Is rubbish, gets new boots at half time, scores a few goals and signs for Citeh.. It's a film.

Nah, in my day boots were real boots and came halfway up your legs. The studs were made of a stack of circles of leather and were nailed to the sole. If you got caught by a kcik you stayed kicked. These modern slippers are rubbish:thumbdown:

Bloody luxury. We used to wear crotch length iron boots with studs screwed to the soles of our feet.

Nice to read this all. I tweeted Koeman after the Burnley game saying "BOOTS, BOOTS, BOOTs. how can we win on wet, sodden, frozen pitcheswith same boots as 2 months ago.

We have a manager who listens. No earphones either.

Nice to read this all. I tweeted Koeman after the Burnley game saying "BOOTS, BOOTS, BOOTs. how can we win on wet, sodden, frozen pitcheswith same boots as 2 months ago.

We have a manager who listens. No earphones either.

Probably not the same boots though, they may look the same but they're all declined in various configurations, most top flight pros have hand made boots for every type of condition anyway. Like with Goretex linings that you wouldn't notice unless you seen them at close quarters.

err Jimmy Grimble is a Manchester City loving schoolboy who gets given a pair of "magic boots" by an old dear in a slum house. He wins some Manchester schools tournament all by himself, believing that his boots are magic in some way, until some wag throws them in a skip (or the Manchester Ship Canal, can't remember) and he loses all his powers. Is rubbish, gets new boots at half time, scores a few goals and signs for Citeh.. It's a film.

Thanks, I saw that it was a film but more than that I did not know. I don't think any amount of magic could have made me a better footballer :(

Hah just as I thought Morgan signed on with Adidas for 4 years today. Hope they kit him out with the new Predator Instinct All Black All Leather boots, #tasteful.

Tasteful and wonderful boots but completely missing the point of the Predator, of course. Which was to have stupid rubber fins on it to improve... something or other. They should also have had a tiny bit of red on there somewhere to preserve the "traditional" Pred colourway, not that they haven't already stomped all over that with the blue/red launch colourway in 2013(?) and waiting 6 months to launch a black/white/red Predator from the start of the 2010/11 season.

For the record, my last two pairs were the 2010 Black/blue Predator X and the 2008 Original Adipure (which was only available in black). My all time favourites were probably the 1998 World Cup Ronaldo boots (obviously not the silver/blue/yellow abortions he wore in the final, the patent/kangaroo black ones from the group stages), though I do like the 2002 black Predators with the red heel and weird iron shaped removable studs too.

I laughed like a drain when I saw Adam wearing odd boots but apparently I'm and old fart and 'not cool' I thought it made him look like a simpleton who couldn't even get his boots to match

Puma boots have been an embarassment for years, they must pay well to persuade blokes to look that stupid.

I'm not sure, they might have been. They were so old that any marking would have rubbed off but I don't think branding came in until the 70s anyway.

They might have been my grandfather's.

Or his grandfather's...

Fair play to spkyinthesky for starting the 'back in my day' business. One word - Dubbin. And some more, I was a schoolboy in the 80s but had the great fortune to play as centre back in my dad's nail the studs/metal toecaps/half way up the legs football cum rugby boots from the 50s. Centre forwards tended to stay tackled, but I had a turning circle of an oil tanker and the leap of, well, someone who was wearing frickin stupidly heavy boots. I do remember scoring a classic lob as I chipped the ball and it rolled right up the boot to my knee.

Have to say, the other lads rightly took the mickey and I dreamed of having a proper pair of pumas, black of course.