Wouldnt like to be in her (wet) shoes...

skintsaint

A teenage US sailor who went missing while sailing solo around the world has

been found safe and well, her family has said.

Abby Sunderland, 16, was more than 3,220km (2,000 miles) from the coasts of

both Africa and Australia when she set off distress beacons.

Search vessels were on their way to her but her father said the boat had now

been found with her on board.

"It's huge, fantastic, exciting news," Laurence Sunderland told ABC News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10291246.stm

A teenage US sailor who went missing while sailing solo around the world has

been found safe and well, her family has said.

Abby Sunderland, 16, was more than 3,220km (2,000 miles) from the coasts of

both Africa and Australia when she set off distress beacons.

Search vessels were on their way to her but her father said the boat had now

been found with her on board.

"It's huge, fantastic, exciting news," Laurence Sunderland told ABC News.

(as he no doubt negotiated the rights to a book deal, serialisation etc with his daughter somewhere in the middle of the indian ocean).

I'm am not for banning things , but this should be banned. Along with some other things !!

prolly just run out of washing up liquid or something then?

Read the article you linked.

So, in the U.S.A. they let their kids [16 year old] take on responsibility for themselves, and in Europe, a girl of similar age was forbidden by authorities. One up to the U.S.A., I think. Character building stuff, to say the least. I can't honestly say that I'd have the cojones to try it.

So, in the U.S.A. they let their kids [16 year old] take on responsibility for themselves, and in Europe, a girl of similar age was forbidden by authorities. One up to the U.S.A., I think. Character building stuff, to say the least. I can't honestly say that I'd have the cojones to try it.

Couldn't agree more

The Dutch girl was 13. Of course she should be able to sail by herself round cape horn and check into dockside hotels in Valparaiso. What could possibly go wrong? After all its not as if the 16 year old American couldnt actually handle it, nearly killing herself and sparking a rescue operation costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The Dutch girl was 13. Of course she should be able to sail by herself round cape horn and check into dockside hotels in Valparaiso. What could possibly go wrong? After all its not as if the 16 year old American couldnt actually handle it, nearly killing herself and sparking a rescue operation costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

When I was young I was dissuaded to do anything adventurous. The programming, from both my parents, was... What would you want to do that for..? I, or my siblings, were never, ever encouraged.

It took me years to shake off that programming and actually start to do something out of the ordinary. Life is for living and experiencing. I'm not saying one shouldn't show concern, but the 13 year old Dutch girl, for example, was a very experienced sailor, even by adult standards, and she knew the ropes extremely well, having been on several voyages, with her parents and alone. If they thought she was capable, then she should have been allowed. You can't wrap capable people in cotton wool for 70 years.

When I was young I was dissuaded to do anything adventurous. The programming, from both my parents, was... What would you want to do that for..? I, or my siblings, were never, ever encouraged.

It took me years to shake off that programming and actually start to do something out of the ordinary. Life is for living and experiencing. I'm not saying one shouldn't show concern, but the 13 year old Dutch girl, for example, was a very experienced sailor, even by adult standards, and she knew the ropes extremely well, having been on several voyages, with her parents and alone. If they thought she was capable, then she should have been allowed. You can't wrap capable people in cotton wool for 70 years.

But she's only 13 years old!

If she succeeds, the glory is all hers. if she fails, the cost and effort of rescue is all ours.

If individuals - especially immature or inexperienced individuals - want to engage in dangerous adventures, that's their choice, but they (or their families) ought to have an insurance policy that will cover any rescue costs.