Dale farm eviction - Panorama

SO16_Saint

Very much through the point of view of the travellers though.

Still, they shouldn't have been there and were removed, I struggled to garner any sympathy with them, and the fact that they kept their kids on site so that they could use them as an excuse. The hippy parasites that seem to rock up any time they can have a dig against the establishment annoy me aswell.

Some of the travellers have such cheek.

'A traveller will never have any rights'

Jesus, maybe you would if you lived within the laws of the country, other than that no.

Ahh,

He did not have proof that it was classed as brown field only that it was being used as such at part of its lifetime. At the end of the day, they didn't have planning permission nor did they even own the other part of the land.

Anyone else would have felt the full force of the law much quicker than they did. If they lived within the confines of the law they would not have needed to worry.

A really one sided and bias program by the left thinking Beeb. At the end of the day, as others have said, they were breaking the law, pure and simple, but the Beeb would have you believe that right was on the side of the transgressor. That said, the guy who's garden backed onto Dale farm, was a bit of a knob!

Chuck em all in those empty council house, yeah. The 'law is an ass' [sic] one minute, then all of a sudden its THE LAW. Beggars belief how selective people can be when it suits....

I take it with the houlier than thou attitude you would have no problems with them pitching up in your back garden then ?? Moving in their relatives and then building structures without ever getting any formal permission ??

Course you would...........

A really one sided and bias program by the left thinking Beeb. At the end of the day, as others have said, they were breaking the law, pure and simple, but the Beeb would have you believe that right was on the side of the transgressor. That said, the guy who's garden backed onto Dale farm, was a bit of a knob!

I thought that too

It was interesting that none of the Travellers menfolk wanted to be involved as it would affect 'employment opportunities'

It would also have been interesting to hear more from the local 'settled' community. There was one brief clip but either the BBC didnt want to progress this line of enquiry or the locals felt too intimidated to go on camera

Agree that the guy who's garden backed onto the encampment didnt come over too well. I wonder if there was a bit of selective editing there?

Mind you if any of us had to swap places with the guy over a period of 10 years I wonder how we would have coped?

Feel rather sorry for the leader of Basildon Council too

Local settled community wanting him to uphold planning laws on one side and the activists calling him a 'Nazi' on the other.

There are so many unanswered questions in the matter, like the Travellers wanting to 'settle' at Dale Farm but refusing Council accommodation as this would interefere with their rights as 'Travellers'

I guess most of us have a degree of sympathy with the Travellers aims in general but this liberal view of life is tainted by the way Travellers behave when they regularly take over various sites during the summer months and behave inappropriately.

Despite the beeb doing their best to be sympathetic with the "travellers", I took nothing from that programme except a satisfaction that the authorities were actually doing what needed to be done for once.

Sure, the police knocked down a wall that was on private property (and I loved how quick they all were to point out the illegality of it - double standards much?) but other than that the whole thing was handled perfectly.

And as has been said above, the quote from one woman who said "travellers will never have any rights" - what you're asking for isn't rights (which you have, by the way); you're asking for special exceptions to be made. No chance love.

Anyone watching this?

Good tv.

The travellers are not helping their cause IMO.

Edit - Dale farm...!

They are ***NOT*** travelers.

They have been STATIC for over 10 years. There should not be any emotional outpouring for these ILLEGAL residences. They did not have planning permission. End of Story. The other half of the farm did have planning permission which is why they have not been evicted. Just because they are Irish, and speak with an engaging Irish lilt does not mean bugger all. They have broken the law. They are now gone. Thank God.

All those soppy doe-eyed 'activists' who flocked to their cause - undoubtedly from well off middle-class backgrounds - are infantile nuisances if nothing else. Any other family in the land can not just build a permanent structure on their land without consent. Why should these STATIC 'travelers' be treated any differently? They should not. The founding principle of the Justice System is that the Law applies equally to all.

Quit the emotional crocodile tears shed over a 'discriminated minority'. Some middle-class 'activist' knob-head had a loud haler and was banging on about genocide and persecution. **** off you over pampered little ****.

THEY BROKE THE LAW.

Good riddance.

End of.

Equally? Lol

Yes equally.

These "travellers", (who evidently don't actually do any travelling) have got away with flouting the law for too long. If I had built a house, moved my family in & constructed a 20ft scaffold tower, in my back garden, without attaining planning permission, I’m bloody sure Southampton CC wouldn't take 10 years to get me to demolish it.

Remember these guys who recently fell foul of the planning laws:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-15040447 I bet they would like to be treated as equally as the “travellers” and have a 10 year stay of execution.