Advice needed...

Doctoroncall

I'm looking for a new games console as I have a Nintendo Wii but there hasn't been any decent games recently. Generally play adventure type games mostly - Zelda and Lara and occasionally a few other action/adventure games (007 and Red Steel), a bit of Golf and Mario Carts.

Out of the Playstation and Xbox, what are the pros and cons and which would suit best?

Thanks.

360 - Pro's - Better gaming console. Many games have to be stripped back for the PS3 (RDR had masses of the scenery cut as the PS3 couldn't handle it. Con's... Many say the £35 a year for Xbox live is a con but myself and millions of others are happy to pay as it is a far better experience that the free PS Network.

PS3 - Pro's - Quality multimedia centre. Blu-Ray player built in and iPlayer ready to go... As is YouTube I believe. Cons, as said above, not as capable as the 360 when it comes to gaming.

Get ready for the arguments...

Initially i got a PS3 a few years ago (for Blu-ray, used to the controller, exclusives like Uncharted).

A few months back I got an Xbox as I wanted to watch SkyGo on a decent sized screen and play games like BF3 with some mates (online is a lot better).

I don't touch the PS3 that much anymore, usually only if I want to watch something on Iplayer, media centre etc.

Gaming - Xbox

Also you get to play Deadly Premonition on the Xbox, the greatest game ever made.

Depends what your after. For online gaming, the 360 easily. The new version's are very quiet and have wifi built in as well. PS3 is better for the blu-ray / iplater etc that has already been mentioned. Dont let the £40 a year put you off Xbox live - it's definitely worth the money. I'd get it soon as well, what with Modern Warfare 3 out tonight.

I'd say the graphics on the Xbox are slightly better as well, RDR had the change on PS3 for example.

As far as the graphics go, they are both virtually identical. I can't discern the difference anyway. I play the Xbox 360 and like mentioned online is better. But thats irrelevant if you're purely playing single player/adventure games.

Just have a look at the exclusives. Maybe this list will help you decide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_(seventh_generation)

I think the PS3 would suit you better with games like Uncharted, Infamous, Rachet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid ect. If you're into Shooters then you have Gears and Halo on the 360.

My first piece of advice would be to get both. I realise that this may not be practical in expense or setup terms, but that really is the best situation to be in. No question.

If you can't buy both, it then really comes down to the following factors.

XBox online support is better, but it comes at the cost of a yearly subscription. PS3 online is not as good, but it's free. Both online offerings p*ss all over the Wii's meagre efforts in this department. If you're buying new, I believe both consoles have wi-fi now. Older X-Box 360s were wired only, save an extremely expensive wi-fi adaptor.

Exclusives

Not as much of a factor as they used to be. You can buy Tekken on both platforms now, for example, but each console does have exclusives that you'll never get to play on the other. Take a look at your Uncharteds, your Halos, etc. Also, compare Kinect and Move, if you're into that sort of thing.

Media

PS3 is a better media centre. For starters, it can play Blu-Ray. It also has stuff like LoveFilm, iPlayer ( btw, the reason the XBox doesn't have iPlayer is because MS basically doesn't believe that you should get anything for free without an XBOX Live subscription, and the Beeb wouldn't countenance XBox users having to pay a subscription for Beeb content ). Both machines will play .avi's at standard definition, both support USB drives etc. One annoyance on PS3 is that it won't read media unless it is in certain directories. Bit of a pain, tbh. Neither will play nice with .mkv files ( large HD video downloads ).

Controllers and extras

XBox generally has a better controller than PS3, apart from two key areas. First, the 360's digital pad is poor and unresponsive - not really a biggy on the modern games, but is a pain on some downloadable games when the d-pad is more suitable than an analog stick with a load of travel. The other issue is power - you can power a 360 controller with AA batteries or a rechargeable pack ( about £10 ). PS3 controllers come with a built-in rechargeable that is charged with a USB-little USB cable.

The other thing worth mentioning is that in general, the PS3 has always been a "cheaper console to run". To be fair to Microsoft, they have got a lot better - wifi is now standard and they will let you save your stuff to a USB memory stick now, but they still retain tight control over other parts of the console, such as controllers and hard drives. You can just bung a standard HD into your PS3 if you want to upgrade, whereas the proprietory XBox Hard Drive upgrade is probably the most expensive form of magnetic storage in the world :D

Oh, and MS still won't let a mouse anywhere near their machine ("It's not a computer!!!"), whereas Sony is a lot more chilled out about it - not that many games support it.

Conclusion

As I said at the start of this post, if you can afford both, get both. The quality of the exclusives makes that a worthwhile proposition. If you have to pick one, I'd suggest getting the one that gives you the most for your money. Don't worry about what others have said about graphics. It really is marginal, some games far better than others on either platform, and you'd have to be watching them side-by-side to see a lot of the difference. Get yourself a couple of magazines etc, have a look at the top games, and see what floats your boat more.

TBH I have had a go at both, and then stuck with the PS3, (I had a PS3 first) I know of plenty of people who have had an XBOX and moved over to a PS3.

I really don't get the arguement about XBOX live being any better, it just isnt, you go online, you can download a few things and play your mates, difference is for the XBOX you have to pay for that.

To buy the XBOX version that closely matches PS3's power you will actually be paying more or less the same. Accessories etc on the XBOX are more expensive and you don't have a Blu Ray player or half of the Media centre power that the PS3 possesses.

The PS3 actually has better graphics and is generally faster, the issue though is with the software developers, cross platform games are often slightely worse on the PS3 as they are easier to write for the XBOX but in all honesty if you look at the differences you have to be pretty petty to notice them.

It all comes down to choice really, both are fantastic gaming machines, personally I hate the XBOX's massive clunky controller and Microsoft plus all my mates have PS3's and seeing as I play them online thats what I have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a PS3 and have never had a single problem with it. Its one of the best things I have ever bought.

But, from the games you list, and the fact you have had a Wii, I would suggest you get an xbox. Maybe when you are all grown up you could get a PS3. ;)

Seriously, get whatever most of your mates have, as online gaming is where its at and there is no point getting one or the other if you cant play against your friends.