HIV cure found......?

Saint-Armstrong

It's a step in the right direction at least.

Definitely. Kids born with the disease are one of the groups who cant possibly have had any part in their contracting it, not the only ones of course, but if they can be cured of it thats got to be a great step forward.

So the good aids not the bad aids?

Its all bad, and I'd like to see it all cured. But tbf, I'm happier that a cure might have been found first for kids born with it than adults who've blithely ignored over two decades of blanket advertising and information about safe sex and needle exchange programmes.

If this was in the muppet show I'd have laughed as well hypo. I wish more people would pop into the muppet show for a bit of aids related tomfoolery!

The problem is that You wouldn't have got a serious reply like that from scotty to reply to in the muppet show.

The problem is that You wouldn't have got a serious reply like that from scotty to reply to in the muppet show.

tbh hypo, its rare for me to post anything serious anywhere. I must have missed that brass eye episode. :blush:

I'd want to read the original research paper before getting too hopeful. News articles on this are all quite thin on details. And there would need to be more testing done on other cases. Also, if the drugs used are expensive, it may not be much use for poorer areas where Aids is prevalent, which is where it is needed, as the west already has the resources and drugs and so on to make sure that the majority of babies born to HIV positive mothers aren't born themselves HIV positive.

Massive step forward. However in this country now the average life expectancy if you have HIV is now the same than if you didn't have the virus - which is an astonishing leap from where we were a few years ago

Edited by sussexsaint

Yes, I have seen a little bit of it. My brother showed me(and he is old enough)! The Paedophile episode? Whatever it was, it was very good.

You really should watch all of it (it's superb, probably the greatest satire of reporting ever. It's on 4OD and DVD on ebay for about three quid). Christ people saying Brass Eye is before their time, it makes me feel old. You do strike me as some sort of cold emotionless cyborg though so you may not like it.

You really should watch all of it (it's superb, probably the greatest satire of reporting ever. It's on 4OD and DVD on ebay for about three quid). Christ people saying Brass Eye is before their time, it makes me feel old. You do strike me as some sort of cold emotionless cyborg though so you may not like it.

No, the episode I saw I liked. Last sentence there a bit unnecessary no?

Are you only allowed to experience things that are not before your time?

Ouch, another totally unnecessary swipe.

I didn't realise I was talking to a cultural connoisseur. Presumably you've sampled/seen/watched/listened to all major pieces of media/literature/art from before your birth/old enough as well? I thought not.

Anyways, this thread was about HIV, so we should probably get back to that.

Massive step forward. However in this country now the average life expectancy if you have HIV is now the same than if you didn't have the virus - which is an astonishing leap from where we were a few years ago

I was just thinking how treatment has advanced rapidly although longer than a few years. I worked on the first Protease Inhibitor some twenty years ago!

The Nonse Sense sketch was one of, if not the funniest thing I've ever seen.

I didn't want to tempt fate when this thread popped up earlier, but it isn't a particularly rare phenomenon.

We've got a little six week old boy at the moment. His mother was HIV+, and he tested +ve at birth. He came to us at a week old, and has been on daily ARVs since birth.

He was retested on Friday and we got the result today - he is now clear. No more ARVs.

I didn't want to tempt fate when this thread popped up earlier, but it isn't a particularly rare phenomenon.

We've got a little six week old boy at the moment. His mother was HIV+, and he tested +ve at birth. He came to us at a week old, and has been on daily ARVs since birth.

He was retested on Friday and we got the result today - he is now clear. No more ARVs.

That's great news.