Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Idea

Default A Good Idea

Rather than have multiple threads covering numerous topics in this forum let's just have one giant thread. Every single so-called discussion started on here descends into the same mind-numbingly boring arguments, being argued by the same mind-numbingly boring 'forum personalities' so why waste time with seperate topics? They all end up in exactly the same place anyway.

Agreed. Or give these 'forum personalities' their own little forum to continue their d1ck waving competition.

I keep thinking 'it's fine, when the season starts they'll be okay' but I can't see it.

Could there not just be a thread specifically set up for the "forum personalities" to discuss their differences rather than clogging up every single thread. They can still comment constructively on the other threads but if they want to comment on eachothers posts they can do it on their own? Would make reading the forum much less of a waste of time.

I just use the first page rule now. When a new topic has been started just read the first page of posts. After that the usual suspects will have started contributing and it will have morphed into the same dull 'have I heard that somewhere before' bickering that is sadly the norm these days.

We could just have a special thread for Turkish to pick on MLG, and a few sad gits to join him -- that alone would stop half the problem.

Couldn't you have put this 'good idea' onto another thread?

It would be nice...I am hoping that all this sh*t will get overrun once the season starts and these posters will go into the background.

Wasn't it nice just after we were promoted when loads of different people posted on here and drowned out the usual suspects - unfortunately it didn't last for long and they were hounded out, shame

Another good idea would be a poll at the top of the page asking who you would most like to see banned from SW. The 1/3 posters with the most votes get banned (they can have their fiver refunded). Surely seeing as we pay our money we should get some say?

The fact that Alpine Saint wouldnt even make my top 3 says a lot about how the forum has gone recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tone View Post
    We could just have a special thread for Turkish to pick on MLG, and a few sad gits to join him -- that alone would stop half the problem.
    This

I like all the ironic/sarcastic posts...they really make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ibizasaint View Post
    I like all the ironic/sarcastic posts...they really make me laugh.
    Yes, but not all of them are ironic or humorous

I was being ironic...

Don't let it get to you
    kids will be kids
    braaaaap omg pmsl mong tard etc etc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bob View Post
    Rather than have multiple threads covering numerous topics in this forum let's just have one giant thread. Every single so-called discussion started on here descends into the same mind-numbingly boring arguments, being argued by the same mind-numbingly boring 'forum personalities' so why waste time with seperate topics? They all end up in exactly the same place anyway.
    We have already suggested the "MLG/Turkish Stadium Love-In" - although to his credit Turkish has tried to back away from the same stuff on and on in the last week or so. MLG could do with learning to bite less, and I say that as someone with dangerously similar tendencies but 20 years' more experience of wasting my time and energy responding to it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Charlie View Post
    Another good idea would be a poll at the top of the page asking who you would most like to see banned from SW. The 1/3 posters with the most votes get banned (they can have their fiver refunded). Surely seeing as we pay our money we should get some say?

The fact that Alpine Saint wouldnt even make my top 3 says a lot about how the forum has gone recently.
    I'm considering the interesting experiment of blocking all of the contributions of all of the people who contribute to the same old same old, just to see what's left on the board. I suspect it'll just be more talking to myself (with no-one else choosing to see it) and Appy telling me I hate Rickie Lambert if that's the case though.

Blog Entries

there's a thing alot of forumz use called moderators.

one did say they were gonna start waving the perma ban stick but the trolling continues

If you don't like to hear posts from posters that bore you, why don't you put them on ignore. That way you won't see their posts and you won't need to start a thread about having to read posts from posters that bore you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo-Saint View Post
    If you don't like to hear posts from posters that bore you, why don't you put them on ignore. That way you won't see their posts and you won't need to start a thread about having to read posts from posters that bore you.
    Was that you volunteering for his list ?

Quote Originally Posted by The9 View Post
    Was that you volunteering for his list ?
    Happily

1. They get quoted anyway
    2. The issue isn't only seeing their posts, its the way it's dragged off subject/hijacked.
    3. We shouldn't really have to

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Balls View Post
    2. The issue isn't only seeing their posts, its the way it's dragged off subject/hijacked.
    Fair points. Maybe the solution is (as I've been trying to do a little bit), trying to drag threads back on topic ? Could be something for the mods to interject with. Maybe we all need to be a little less thread-drifty... he says on a thread about having one giant thread...

Pretty much agree with comments, I like some of the offending posters comments it's just the way it goes off topic.

Ironically this thread could go off topic and start talking Saints, football etc.

24. Default

There probably aren't enough mods, and from what I've seen, with the greatest of respect, the moderation often leaves a lot to be desired, in that it often just winds people up more. In an ideal world, posters would self-moderate, ignore stuff they don't think is appropriate, and simply act themselves as they would like others to, but there are clearly many who are incapable of this, and who don't respect the primary purpose of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by saintalan View Post
    Pretty much agree with comments, I like some of the offending posters comments it's just the way it goes off topic.

Ironically this thread could go off topic and start talking Saints, football etc.
    I agree..its great hearing opinions on the games from people who were actually there, whether they agree or not...its the sniping and and other arse that is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tone View Post
    THIS. Some of these bores are just ruining what used to be a great forum for us saints fans. Why cant they all settle there differences somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    There probably aren't enough mods, and from what I've seen, with the greatest of respect, the moderation often leaves a lot to be desired, in that it often just winds people up more. In an ideal world, posters would self-moderate, ignore stuff they don't think is appropriate, and simply act themselves as they would like others to, but there are clearly many who are incapable of this, and who don't respect the primary purpose of the place.
    Spoken like a true ex-admin! Would never have happened in our day would it?

28. Default

Spoken like a true ex-admin! Would never have happened in our day would it?
    Modesty prevents me...

I am going to put myself up for a some grief here but anyway,

It happens both ways. Yes, MLG gets on peoples nerves pulling them up on stuff, so therefore people try to catch him out and yes Turkish is the main offender her, with maybe Hypo 2nd. However, there are even greater number of people who are ready to jump on the band wagon to moan about this happening even when it is not.

For example, last week there was a thread posted by MLG about the improvements to the ground/training ground. I was involved, posted (very politely) asking MLG about how the improvements compared to the improvements other clubs were making. Turkish posted, was a little direct, a little sarcastic but nothing special. There was then almost a full page of people moaning about turkish doing this, ironically saying the thread had been hijacked (as they hijacked it) and saying Turkish was bullying MLG. Now this may or may not have happened before but I could not see it happening on that thread.

I then posted, saying that I could not see it, a bit of an argument developed, I then asked if someone could post a quote of where Turkish was bullying and nothing. More people were then happy to moan about Turkish bullying and because I defended him on that thread, we then became Turkish and Tokyo and apparently we were both bullying MLG. I again asked if anyone could quote evidence of ME bulling MLG on that thread and nothing.

Now I am not Turkish's friend, I don't know him, have argued with him myself in the past but was annoyed at the band wagon jumpers moaning about something that wasn't there and then again moaning that the thread had been hijacked, while doing the very same thing themselves. For saying this, I am now a troll? Or a Bully?

What he said really.

Blog Entries

Do people like or hate Glasgow_saint?

32. Default

I am going to put myself up for a some grief here but anyway,

It happens both ways. Yes, MLG gets on peoples nerves pulling them up on stuff, so therefore people try to catch him out and yes Turkish is the main offender her, with maybe Hypo 2nd. However, there are even greater number of people who are ready to jump on the band wagon to moan about this happening even when it is not.

For example, last week there was a thread posted by MLG about the improvements to the ground/training ground. I was involved, posted (very politely) asking MLG about how the improvements compared to the improvements other clubs were making. Turkish posted, was a little direct, a little sarcastic but nothing special. There was then almost a full page of people moaning about turkish doing this, ironically saying the thread had been hijacked (as they hijacked it) and saying Turkish was bullying MLG. Now this may or may not have happened before but I could not see it happening on that thread.

I then posted, saying that I could not see it, a bit of an argument developed, I then asked if someone could post a quote of where Turkish was bullying and nothing. More people were then happy to moan about Turkish bullying and because I defended him on that thread, we then became Turkish and Tokyo and apparently we were both bullying MLG. I again asked if anyone could quote evidence of ME bulling MLG on that thread and nothing.

Now I am not Turkish's friend, I don't know him, have argued with him myself in the past but was annoyed at the band wagon jumpers moaning about something that wasn't there and then again moaning that the thread had been hijacked, while doing the very same thing themselves. For saying this, I am now a troll? Or a Bully?
    Neither, I actually agree with you. Threads are usually taken MORE off topic by a stream of replies about the alleged off-topic comments... people need to ask themselves if what they're about to post actually helps a thread or not, and think before posting. Those who do 'troll' or 'bully' would quickly move on if they weren't getting a bite or generating responses, just like those who can't help but bite when a skate pops up... ignore them, and they will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by The9 View Post
    We have already suggested the "MLG/Turkish Stadium Love-In" - although to his credit Turkish has tried to back away from the same stuff on and on in the last week or so. MLG could do with learning to bite less, and I say that as someone with dangerously similar tendencies but 20 years' more experience of wasting my time and energy responding to it...
    And respect to him for doing that. Problem is it's difficult to tell if he's making a sensible contribution or just being uber-sarchastic now!

Last edited by H; 02-08-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Forgot quote ...

35. Default

And respect to him for doing that. Problem is it's difficult to tell if he's making a sensible contribution or just being uber-sarchastic now!
    As someone who was well and truly suckered in by him and Essruu's wind ups many years ago, (and happily admit it), I always treat Turkish as though he's taking the ****, which actually does him a disservice sometimes because he does make a lot of decent contributions when he wants to and he does get some good information... he's kinda made a rod for his own back!

Neither, I actually agree with you. Threads are usually taken MORE off topic by a stream of replies about the alleged off-topic comments... people need to ask themselves if what they're about to post actually helps a thread or not, and think before posting. Those who do 'troll' or 'bully' would quickly move on if they weren't getting a bite or generating responses, just like those who can't help but bite when a skate pops up... ignore them, and they will go away.
    Agree 100%, thank you!

Stop moaning and ignore. If you think someone is out of order, quote them, say they are out of order or report them. General unsubstantiated moans are worse than the 'trolls'.

If you think I am out of order, quote me and let me know. Do not just make a general sweeping comment, then disappear.

FWIT I like you Glasgow-Saint. Us cities have to stick together.

Exactly. That's what I meant in the original post. It's not just the usual suspects joining in. It's everyone then moaning about the usual suspects jumping in, and the usual suspect then jumping in to defend themsleves against the people moaning about them jumping in... and so on... and so on.

38. Default

Well that's three of us who agree, just another 8000+ to go.

As someone who was well and truly suckered in by him and Essruu's wind ups many years ago, (and happily admit it), I always treat Turkish as though he's taking the ****, which actually does him a disservice sometimes because he does make a lot of decent contributions when he wants to and he does get some good information... he's kinda made a rod for his own back!
    Been there too. At least it was funny back then (well, most of the time anyway!). Saintsforever did get a bit explosive at times but it was rarely boring.

Blog Entries

Charlie Brooker's views on the matter...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...redirect=false

41. Default

If a thread is going off topic cant the mods move those irrelevant posts to a mega *****ing thread in another forum, just leaving those relevant ones?

I'm sure it doesn't help that the people who actually own/run the site hardly ever seem to be on here themselves these days. If they've lost interest themselves it can't help the standards of moderation.

43. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JPTCount View Post
    Charlie Brooker's views on the matter...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...redirect=false
    That was back in 2006. We'll never learn.

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I'm sure it doesn't help that the people who actually own/run the site hardly ever seem to be on here themselves these days. If they've lost interest themselves it can't help the standards of moderation.
    To be fair, they never intended to be online to moderate themselves, that's why they have mods in place. Yes, sometimes I think a bit of guidance from a site owner can help, but generally we are talking about routine stuff that, I believe, mods could deal with.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've heard Tevez fancies a move to the south coast...

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer View Post
    If a thread is going off topic cant the mods move those irrelevant posts to a mega *****ing thread in another forum, just leaving those relevant ones?
    No but they've managed to move this one off to a forum where no-one else will read or comment on it. Do they seriously consider this to be a forum suggestion?

47. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer View Post
    Only problem with that is we actually have our own lives, we don't have time to go through every single thread and check every individual post.

Agreed. Or give these 'forum personalities' their own little forum to continue their d1ck waving competition.

I keep thinking 'it's fine, when the season starts they'll be okay' but I can't see it.
    Well that was what The Muppet Show was for, but we can't force people to use it.

48. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Only problem with that is we actually have our own lives, we don't have time to go through every single thread and check every individual post.
    I agree, especially having been there and done it, but this is why I suggested you perhaps need more mods to deal with the sheer number of posts. Plus, infractions need to be used more, with clear, consistent application and explanations, so that if someone consistently offends, they are banned, temporarily or permanently. Communication is king, both to forum users, and between mods, so that consistent standards are applied and everyone know what is happening and why...

Some mods come across as having a bit of an attitude at times too, which I'm sure is not intended, but the perception is there, and that never helps resolve a situation.

It's not an easy job, especially to do well, and I respect anyone who does it, but on a forum of this size, I think it needs a few more resources and co-ordination.

49. Default

All fair points. I will try to be more active than I have been recently. It's up to Steve or Baj if anyone else is made Moderator.

50. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    My presumption was that as a Saints fan you'd generally be quite interested to read the threads on this forum, and therefore, like we do, would notice when a thread about a potential player is being overtaken by a pedantic argument.