Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: What a situation

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    30,453
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint sfc View Post
    This ****es me off. All potential parents should be vetted in the same way when it comes to adoption. I'm gay - but just a 'normal' person. It annoys me how most of my 'community' rub there personal life in each others faces. I don't attend gay pride, I don't agree with gay marriage (marriage is a religious thing - why can't we just settle for civil partnership? I would argue straight people who aren't religious shouldn't be allowed to get married too), but everyone should be treated equal. These two clearly aren't suitable to be parents but their sexuality shouldn't come into it. They're just useless human beings as are so many.
    Well said. Frankly I wish there were more homosexuals who feel the way that you do- some of my gay friends are of a similar opinion. My suspicion is that if there were, acceptance and tolerance of others would increase across the board.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint sfc View Post
    This ****es me off. All potential parents should be vetted in the same way when it comes to adoption. I'm gay - but just a 'normal' person. It annoys me how most of my 'community' rub there personal life in each others faces. I don't attend gay pride, I don't agree with gay marriage (marriage is a religious thing - why can't we just settle for civil partnership? I would argue straight people who aren't religious shouldn't be allowed to get married too), but everyone should be treated equal. These two clearly aren't suitable to be parents but their sexuality shouldn't come into it. They're just useless human beings as are so many.
    Agree with what you say except marriage is nothing to do with religion, there wasn't one mention of God, Jesus or any other fairytale creatures in my wedding.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Agree with what you say except marriage is nothing to do with religion, there wasn't one mention of God, Jesus or any other fairytale creatures in my wedding.
    Were you married in a Church? I literally don't care about the whole marriage thing so this certainly isn't meant to start a debate - you might even change my opinion within this thread.

    If I were religious I would consider being gay not religious and couldn't condone gay people getting married in the place of he who is holy. Also wouldn't be happy with people getting married who aren't religious.

    I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago in a church and it was the most tortuously religious thing I've ever seen. They said it was only like it because their parents are very religious. All the talk of 'god forgive us for when we haven't walked in the path of christ' - they were both snorting coke before the wedding and the bloke had his fingers where they shouldn't have been in a strip club about 2 weeks before. I found the whole thing quite hilarious - but felt very sorry for the naive christians (even more so than usual) for all the effort they were making to these highly unjesus like people.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    30,453
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    To be fair, most religious people I know don't give a monkeys if a gay couple wants to get married or not. There's a huge difference between having a personal belief and then trying to impose that belief on others.

  5. #55

    Default

    I've never understood why gay people fought for marriage or have anything to do with religion. Christian & Muslim religions are vehement that being gay is wrong and against the way you should live your life. They have also systematically persecuted and oppressed homosexuals. Why would you want to align yourself with something that has behaved in this way, and holds this opinion of the way you live? Civil partnerships, I can completely understand. You are committing yourself to another person, just like marriage. Just don't understand why this wasn't enough?

    For the same reasons, I don't understand why women have anything to do with these religions. Why fight to be involved in something that has oppressed, undermined and held you back for thousands of years?

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesaint sfc View Post
    Were you married in a Church? I literally don't care about the whole marriage thing so this certainly isn't meant to start a debate - you might even change my opinion within this thread.

    If I were religious I would consider being gay not religious and couldn't condone gay people getting married in the place of he who is holy. Also wouldn't be happy with people getting married who aren't religious.

    I was at a friends wedding a few weeks ago in a church and it was the most tortuously religious thing I've ever seen. They said it was only like it because their parents are very religious. All the talk of 'god forgive us for when we haven't walked in the path of christ' - they were both snorting coke before the wedding and the bloke had his fingers where they shouldn't have been in a strip club about 2 weeks before. I found the whole thing quite hilarious - but felt very sorry for the naive christians (even more so than usual) for all the effort they were making to these highly unjesus like people.
    That's why I didn't get married in a church, it would have been hypocritical. You can get married almost anywhere nowadays.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Mikey View Post
    I've never understood why gay people fought for marriage or have anything to do with religion. Christian & Muslim religions are vehement that being gay is wrong and against the way you should live your life. They have also systematically persecuted and oppressed homosexuals. Why would you want to align yourself with something that has behaved in this way, and holds this opinion of the way you live? Civil partnerships, I can completely understand. You are committing yourself to another person, just like marriage. Just don't understand why this wasn't enough?

    For the same reasons, I don't understand why women have anything to do with these religions. Why fight to be involved in something that has oppressed, undermined and held you back for thousands of years?
    This, 100%.

    aintforever doesn't seem to see marriage as a religious practice but I do. I think there should be a bigger push for everyone to opt for civil partnership.

    That being said, I fully understand why people get married and don't go for civil partnerships - being married has a better ring to it. I think the civil partnership exists soley to reach the same level of commitment but without the religious ties - which is why gay people are generally getting civil partnerships rather than getting married but now its being seen as the gay thing to do. I guess given time more and more straight couples will get civil partnerships and hopefully religion will continue to die. I really hope that gay marriage will not prevail so that this process can be sped up.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    18,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    That's why I didn't get married in a church, it would have been hypocritical.
    I didnt want to get my kids christened for the same reason - and got a huge and unexpected backlash from most of my family and the kids mum - even though none of them are religious. Very odd.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    11,632

    Default

    In a way I kind of respect the hardcore religious types more than the moderates. If you genuinely believe that God thinks homosexuals will burn in hell etc. then at least stick to your story. I don't really get the "I'm a Christian/Muslim but I don't oppose gay marriage, abortions, divorce etc." View point. If you're just going to pick and chose certain bits which suit you, there's not really any point at all. To me it's like saying, "I'm a Saints fan but I'm going to go and support Pompey next week because they're at home and and I can't really afford to travel all the way up to Burnley."

    Probably because it just forces people to admit the flaws in their religious beliefs and makes them think too much.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    faraway
    Posts
    5,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    In a way I kind of respect the hardcore religious types more than the moderates. If you genuinely believe that God thinks homosexuals will burn in hell etc. then at least stick to your story. I don't really get the "I'm a Christian/Muslim but I don't oppose gay marriage, abortions, divorce etc." View point. If you're just going to pick and chose certain bits which suit you, there's not really any point at all. To me it's like saying, "I'm a Saints fan but I'm going to go and support Pompey next week because they're at home and and I can't really afford to travel all the way up to Burnley."

    Probably because it just forces people to admit the flaws in their religious beliefs and makes them think too much.
    New covenant mate, it's consistent.

  11. #61

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    In a way I kind of respect the hardcore religious types more than the moderates. If you genuinely believe that God thinks homosexuals will burn in hell etc. then at least stick to your story. I don't really get the "I'm a Christian/Muslim but I don't oppose gay marriage, abortions, divorce etc." View point. If you're just going to pick and chose certain bits which suit you, there's not really any point at all. To me it's like saying, "I'm a Saints fan but I'm going to go and support Pompey next week because they're at home and and I can't really afford to travel all the way up to Burnley."

    Probably because it just forces people to admit the flaws in their religious beliefs and makes them think too much.
    It's possible to believe in the spirit of a religious text / teaching but not take it at literal face value. Hardly anyone takes any religious text completely literally. Partly because they are full of contradictions so it's impossible to. Even someone who believes 100% that the Bible is the pure word of God can't "comply" 100% with it.

    That said, I agree with the general thrust that religion is ****ing retarded and a stain on the landscape.

  12. #62

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    I didnt want to get my kids christened for the same reason - and got a huge and unexpected backlash from most of my family and the kids mum - even though none of them are religious. Very odd.
    Had the same issue with my little one. Weird thing is I was tempted to go through with it because it is just the norm but I'm glad I didn't. I will leave it up to her to decide what religion/fairytales she wants to believe in.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •