Pardew's Record

sadoldgit

Before Alan Pardew arrived the manager with with best points per game record was Burley with 1.54 points per game.

Ignoring the pre season friendlies, Pardew's record in league and cup games (giving 3 points for a win) is 1.90 points per game.

For those who think that he is tactically inept and should be sacked, perhaps they should reflect that even the great Ted Bates and Lawrie McMenemy never managed that kind of return.

Before Alan Pardew arrived the manager with with best points per game record was Burley with 1.54 points per game.

Ignoring the pre season friendlies, Pardew's record in league and cup games (giving 3 points for a win) is 1.90 points per game.

For those who think that he is tactically inept and should be sacked, perhaps they should reflect that even the great Ted Bates and Lawrie McMenemy never managed that kind of return.

Just shows Stats can be used to show anything

Would have Ted and Lawrie anytime

Wow, Mark 364 of the same post from SOGGY....

you're hardly one to moan.

mark 593549359359 of the same post from alpine.

good post fwiw sog - it's madness how people cannot see that he's doing a good job.

i'm embarrassed sometimes to support a club lumbered with so many morons for supporters.

you're hardly one to moan.

mark 593549359359 of the same post from alpine.

good post fwiw sog - it's madness how people cannot see that he's doing a good job.

i'm embarrassed sometimes to support a club lumbered with so many morons for supporters.

Oh, wow - another insult. Happy Clappers Yoooonite...

I react to each match. This post of SOGGYs is an EXACT repetition.

Once again you completely ignore the facts. Go and start another negative post Alpine, there is no place for you on the positive ones.

he never ever answers a sensibly put question, or responds intelligently to a sensibly put post. He will counteract it with pointless childish remarks.

he was asked a fair question earlier ''did you think we'd get promotion at the start of the season?'' - he didn't answer it afaik

simply because it would ruin his agenda and make his current posts look very silly indeed.

there was a quote a few weeks ago, alps said he'd accept 16th - 17th place. So we're now 10th, possibly will finish between 8th-10th and he's moaning. go figure.

IMO..comparing different managers to other is utterly pointless UNLESS they had the same "playing field" so to speak

comparing pardew to burley, branfoot etc proves absolutely nothing what so ever

you have to judge any manager at his time at the club...the money available, the players available, the opposition, board room set up etc etc

...with 2 points a game for a win, f**king difficult, but dont let facts get in the way of your agenda. :rolleyes:

IMO..comparing different managers to other is utterly pointless UNLESS they had the same "playing field" so to speak

you have to judge any manager at his time at the club...the money available, the players available, the opposition, board room set up etc etc

DONT !!! Soggy's brain will explode...

You must remember that he managed to get his figure up in the Championship as its seen as a easier place than the Premiership.

Which leaves us to Pardew, With the kind of money he has had to spend and also playing in League One then it would be a crime to not have his points tally per game.

IMO..comparing different managers to utterly pointless UNLESS they had the same "playing field" so to speak

and putting all of that into context - pard's hasn't done a bad job at all, as people keep saying, our position is false because of our -10 and poor start (which was bought about by the -10)

start the season now with what we have, we'd be up with norwich based on our form over the games since october.

you must remember that he managed to get his figure up in the championship as its seen as a easier place than the premiership.

Which leaves us to pardew, with the kind of money he has had to spend and also playing in league one then it would be a crime to not have his points tally per game.

blasphemy !!!

and putting all of that into context - pard's hasn't done a bad job at all, as people keep saying, our position is false because of our -10 and poor start (which was bought about by the -10)

start the season now with what we have, we'd be up with norwich based on our form over the games since october.

no, of course he has not done/doing a bad job...but I would also say he is NOT doing a brilliant job either...he is doing OK imo..when you look at the size of the club/money/player etc etc he has..

IMO, pardew can (and no doubt will) do ALOT better..which can only be good news for saints

no, of course he has not done/doing a bad job...but I would also say he is NOT doing a brilliant job either...he is doing OK imo..when you look at the size of the club/money/player etc etc he has..

IMO, pardew can (and no doubt will) do ALOT better..which can only be good news for saints

I too think is OK not brilliant but there are not many who are any better so I dont see what is the point of replacing him

...with 2 points a game for a win, f**king difficult, but dont let facts get in the way of your agenda. :rolleyes:

No Alpine, once again you completely miss the point and the facts. The basis of the points per game was done for 3 points for a win for every manager. But don't let that stop you making another stupid and misguided point.

No Alpine, once again you completely miss the point and the facts. The basis of the points per game was done for 3 points for a win for every manager. But don't let that stop you making another stupid and misguided point.

You never made that clear in your OP. What am I, a mindreader ?

Whatever, enough follow-up posts have pointed out that your latest regurgiation of this mind-numbingly boring and irrelevant fact doesnt mean jack-sh*t.

Well I for one, hope that Nicola allows Pardew's Record long enough time to turn into Pardew's LP [Long Player], with a renewed stylus, in a much higher quality [turn]table.

Yeah, I know. I pushed that metphor for all it was worth. Which wasn't much. ;)

I don't agree that it is pointless. It would be pointless running a league because no team is going to play another team under exactly the same conditions are they.

What it does is remove the subjectivity (that is all to ripe on here). I am not saying that Pardew is a better manager than TB or LM. What I am saying is that both Pardew (and Burley) get dog's abuse on here yet they both have excellent records when it comes to winning football matches for us.

It you want to dig further you could say that LMs record should have been better as he had the likes of Ball, Channon, Osgood and MacDougall to call on when in the old Div 2, but that is for another arguement.

People will use stats when it suits their agenda and ignore them when they don't. We can spend all day talking about the merits of Pardew as a manager for us, but what no one can take away is his record for is so far, which is far superior to any manager we have had to date (well, certainly since the 50's anyway).

I think most managers in the game would be delighted to chalk up 1.9 points per game. Shame that we have an element of the fanbase that thinks that is deserving of a sacking.

I don't agree that it is pointless. It would be pointless running a league because no team is going to play another team under exactly the same conditions are they.

What it does is remove the subjectivity (that is all to ripe on here). I am not saying that Pardew is a better manager than TB or LM. What I am saying is that both Pardew (and Burley) get dog's abuse on here yet they both have excellent records when it comes to winning football matches for us.

It you want to dig further you could say that LMs record should have been better as he had the likes of Ball, Channon, Osgood and MacDougall to call on when in the old Div 2, but that is for another arguement.

People will use stats when it suits their agenda and ignore them when they don't. We can spend all day talking about the merits of Pardew as a manager for us, but what no one can take away is his record for is so far, which is far superior to any manager we have had to date (well, certainly since the 50's anyway).

I think most managers in the game would be delighted to chalk up 1.9 points per game. Shame that we have an element of the fanbase that thinks that is deserving of a sacking.

Interesting self-contradiction there,

Btw, who wants AP sacked ?

You never made that clear in your OP. What am I, a mindreader ?

Whatever, enough follow-up posts have pointed out that your latest regurgiation of this mind-numbingly boring and irrelevant fact doesnt mean jack-sh*t.

No mate, you are a crystal ball reader. Do you really think that anyone would published stats that skewed???

It doesn't mean jack-sh*t to you because it doesn't fit in with your agenda. It also is a very positive message, something that you will never, ever get your head around.

It is pointless Pardew has been here less than a season in League 1 with a team which cost probably five times more than the next expensive and probably over 25 times the amount of most

It is pointless Pardew has been here less than a season in League 1 with a team which cost probably five times more than the next expensive and probably over 25 times the amount of most

It doesn't matter what the team costs. Other managers have spent much more and achieved much less elsewhere. It is what you do with what you have.

Well I for one, hope that Nicola allows Pardew's Record long enough time to turn into Pardew's LP [Long Player], with a renewed stylus, in a much higher quality [turn]table.

Yeah, I know. I pushed that metphor for all it was worth. Which wasn't much. ;)

Since I agree with the actual sentiment you are trying to express I will not be rude about that pathetic attempt to be the top TSW punster !!

You must remember that he managed to get his figure up in the Championship as its seen as a easier place than the Premiership.

Which leaves us to Pardew, With the kind of money he has had to spend and also playing in League One then it would be a crime to not have his points tally per game.

So it is a "crime" that Chelsea have still not won the Champions league? That Man City are not going to win the Premiership this year? That Ipswich spent £8m this season and don't have a cat in hell's chamce of going up?

Where does it say that spending money guarantees you success )other than in the parallel dimension of Alpineworld)?

Everything is relative. When managers managed in the premiership they had better quality players. We have Div 1 and some CCC quality players. WE went down with a squad that contained the likes of Crouch and Phillips, many of whom are still plying their trade in the Premiership yet finished bottom.

It is no easier to get 1.9 points per game in Div 1, the CCC or the Premiership. YOu still have to beat what is in front of you with what you have.

And... they're off..!

And it's Sad Old Git taking an early lead, followed closely by Alpine Saint, TheDelldays, S-Clarke, Pilchards, John B, and the rest.

Over the first jump, and it's Alpine Saints taking up the running, with Sad Old Git stumbling at the first. Followed by TheDelldays, S-Clarke, Pilchards, John B.

Watching from the stands are mods Stevegrant and St Landrew, and they don't look too happy, do they Peter..? No Jim, I've got a feeling they think they seen this all before.

Running conditions today are pretty soft going and it probably won't won't suit the leaders once the pack get into their stride...

Anyone care to take up the running..?

I know. Its bizarre hown he cherry picks his argument.

How so? Tell me how many teams have bought success overnight against those that haven't managed it? For every Blackburn there is a Manchester City, Tottenham and dozens more.

Chelsea have spent the size of the national debt of a small country in trying to become the best club in Europe. Tell me how many European Chamions ships they have won?

If you are so sure we can buy our way out of this league, perhaps you would be good enough to tell Mr Cortese how much that would cost exactly!

I am talking about spending money not being guarantee for success.

Well it does help as Pardew and Burley have found out with the help of Lambert Barnard John and Saga Rasiak

Edited by John B

Well it does help as Pardew and Burley have found out

So winning a trophy at Wembley and reaching the play offs were disasters then? I will ask you the same querstion I asked Alpine. How much do you have to spend to guarantee promotion?

And... they're off..!

And it's Sad Old Git taking an early lead, followed closely by Alpine Saint, TheDelldays, S-Clarke, Pilchards, John B, and the rest.

Over the first jump, and it's Alpine Saints taking up the running, with Sad Old Git stumbling at the first. Followed by TheDelldays, S-Clarke, Pilchards, John B.

Watching from the stands are mods Stevegrant and St Landrew, and they don't look too happy, do they Peter..? No Jim, I've got a feeling they think they seen this all before.

Running conditions today are pretty soft going and it probably won't won't suit the leaders once the pack get into their stride...

I have not and will not get into an arguement on here...dont really do that these days...

you dont have to be a MOD y'know

With all the contrasting views about how AP has done this season I stumbled across an interesting way to evaluate it. At the beginning of the season the bookies offer a ‘season handicap’ market, where they evaluate all the teams and allot them a certain number of points head start. At the end of the season, the total points are added to the handicap given them at the start of the season and a new table is formed.

I’ve been tracking the progress of this revised table with interest over the season. As it stands:

1 Swindon 97 (27)

2 Norwich 89 (7)

3 Millwall 85 (14)

4 Colchester 81 (16)

5 Bristol Rovers 78 (20)

6 Charlton 76 (8

7 Yeovil 74 (30)

8 Walsall 74 (27)

9 Southampton 74 (20)

10 Carlisle 72 (24)

11 Huddersfield 72 (10)

12 Leeds 71 (0)

13 Leyton Orient 68 (27)

14 Exeter City 68 (28

15 Gillingham 67 (27)

16 MK Dons 67 (10)

17 Brentford 67 (20)

18 Hartlepool 66 (27)

19 Brighton 62 (14)

20 Oldham 60 (20)

21 Stockport 59 (35)

22 Tranmere 58 (20)

23 Southend 55 (18

24 Wycombe 52 (20)

Obviously the handicap allotted to us took into account the points deficit as well as our spending strength. Basically the point is that it perhaps gives a more balanced and neutral idea of where we started from in the summer and how we’ve done up to this point.

The figure in brackets is the handicap allotted. Don't know if this adds anything but i think it's a good way of really evaluating how a team has done over a season

So winning a trophy at Wembley and reaching the play offs were disasters then? I will ask you the same querstion I asked Alpine. How much do you have to spend to guarantee promotion?

It is not the actual amount of money it is the players bought

Harding cost nothing as did Jaidi

Edited by John B

And... they're off..!

Thanks Landy, Sad Old Git is really getting into his stride now, it's a real battle up front between him and Alpine Saint who should benefit from all the high altitude training and is used to wet conditions. Thedelldays, Pilchards and the rest of the field are clearly letting the leaders slug it out and hoping to come with a late charge. Ooh, a mistake from Alpine Saint there who is struggling a bit it would seem, Sad Old Git seems to have plenty in reserve at the moment and is clear 4/6 favourite "in running", been heavily backed by Saint Stevo it seems with Stkiptanui hedging his bets until he is sure he is on a loser.

Over to you......

How does that compute with big Mac and Ted Bates then who both played in the era before the EPL destroyed English football. Also each manager has had players relevant to the level they're playing at WGS for example had far better players than AP but played in a higher league. George Burley spent 7mil in his play off year twice what Pardew has spent.

Edited by doddisalegend

Oh come on, TDD. Have a sense of humour. :rolleyes:;)

Now there is sure to be a stewards enquiry with TDD being badly hampered by dark horse St Landrew who quite frankly seems more intent on having a love in than getting involved in the race. TDD not happy !

Pardew has done OK, but he's certainly not done well. Given the money he's spent we should be higher in the league (and yes i do realise we had a 10 point deduction). He should be given more time, but if we don't get off to a flyer next season then i think he should be replaced early doors.

How does that compute with big Mac and Ted Bates then who both played in the era before the EPL destroyed English football. Also each manager has had players relevant to the level they're playing out WGS for example had far better players than AP but played in a higher league. George Burley spent 7mil in his play off year twice what Pardew has spent.

I think Ted and Lawrie should have better figures than the managers we have had in the Premier League as it was fairer in th 60s and 70s

Pardew has done OK, but he's certainly not done well. Given the money he's spent we should be higher in the league (and yes i do realise we had a 10 point deduction). He should be given more time, but if we don't get off to a flyer next season then i think he should be replaced early doors.

I agree but I think he should be given at least a dozen games but I am not sure how he would be replaced

again..a totally pointless comparison and it is all relative

Why is it pointless? people keep banging on about money, we've spent more in prevoius seasons and done no better or more often worse than this season yes we were at a higher level but we bought better players so it all evens out. If we where in the EPL and spent say 9mil and in the same postion everyone would be singing APs praises but becuase we are in league one, gave everyone else a 10pt head start people are saying APs not doing a good enough job it makes no ****ing sense to me.