How many students ????

Saint in Paradise

:shock::shock:

There were 351,000 applications for UK student visas in 2008-09 - with 236,000 visa being issued.

The number of overseas students in higher education in 2008-9 in the UK is 251,310. This represents

an increase of almost 50,000 in four years.

Rogue agents are accused of falsifying documents and helping people to get around the student visa system,

the rules of which immigration authorities in the UK have tried to tighten.

It is a problem that raises concerns about illegal immigration and the possibility of people with terrorist intentions

coming into the country, although in many cases it is the students themselves who are being duped.

A meeting of immigration and education authorities in London, the first of its kind, is intended to co-ordinate

a multi-national response.

Higher education has become a globalised market and the British Council says there needs to be an international

approach to tackling fraud.

In particular there are concerns about agents fraudulently sending students from Pakistan, India, Kazakhstan

and parts of Africa.

IF they catch these illegal "students" will the UK be allowed to deport them ? I suspect not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/education/10106279.stm

Perhaps SRS is correct in what he says about students ?:D

Can't just blame it on the students. There are a lot of 'colleges' around which allow students to attend their courses - all for big course fees upfront.

Agents and colleges are working in tandem, taking the student's money and they then being left on their own and out of pocket.

However didnt Labour change the ruels regarding students coming over from overseas and essentially make it easier?

c*nts the lot of them.

Now my taxes not only go towards English students going to Uni doing pointless courses... not people from all over the world can come and do pointless courses at my expense.

Student terrorist tax-dodging scum.

no, your taxes still only apply for uk students. internationals pay for themselves

no, your taxes still only apply for uk students. internationals pay for themselves

Wrong.

English Students pay a fee.

EU Foreign Students pay the same fee.

Foreign Students pay a higher fee.

Neither fees comes even close to the true cost of their further education, which is approximately £4,000 per student per year MORE which is funded by the taxpayer.

Edited by StuRomseySaint

Wrong.

Neither fees comes even close to the true cost of their further education, which is subsidised by the taxpayer.

Overseas students pay full course costs either directly themselves or via their home uni.

The problem was the amount of fake colleges, mainly in the NW and West Yorkshire that were set up just to dish out, for a price, student visas.

Most of these were shut down after the security alert the year before last with the Pakistani students, many of whom were on "false" student visas.

Overseas students pay full course costs either directly themselves or via their home uni.

The problem was the amount of fake colleges, mainly in the NW and West Yorkshire that were set up just to dish out, for a price, student visas.

Most of these were shut down after the security alert the year before last with the Pakistani students, many of whom were on "false" student visas.

Yeah I edited that, I meant EU students who pay the same fee and non-eu who pay what is supposed to be the 'full' fee.

Wrong.

EU Foreign Students pay the same fee.

Neither fees comes even close to the true cost of their further education, which is approximately £4,000 per student per year MORE which is funded by the taxpayer.

You are correct but the initial problem for a lot of the students leaving college is, uni or jobseekers allowance.

Some Facts.

Student drop-outs cost the taxpayer £200m a year.

£14.3billion is taken from taxpayers every year and given to students and Universities.

Right lets get rid of: doctors, nurses, vets, teachers, businessman, etc etc etc

Then we can all be like STU

Well, as usual SRS is frothing at the mouth again. One of my nightmares would be being in in the same bedroom: knee jerk reactions and all the subtlety of a dog in heat!

Anyway, Labour actually tightened up the situation as there was obvious abuse. But overall colleges like international students because they make money on them. Frankly the biggest problem is getting them up to an adequate level of English!

They also come here and spend money here on accommodation, food, transport: I don't remember the latest figures but they make a massive contribution to our awful balance of payments figures.

Right lets get rid of: doctors, nurses, vets, teachers, businessman, etc etc etc

Agree with your point on most of those - but "businessman" - What did you mean by that? I meet plenty of people that you could deem to be 'business men' who are successful in business without having been to university.

Then we can all be like STU

Umm, actually you guys already did. :smt096

Now the NHS and it's agents scour the world stealing trained staff from poorer or less developed countries. Anyone noticed how many Asian staff work in the NHS? Most of them have been poached from here and further East.

Many articles about staff shortages across the ME & Asia because they all get offered minimum wage in the UK with Agencies and that is trbel what they could get over here.

But I am with SrS to a large extent on the student issue. Why the hell should the UK be cheaper than the rest of the EU and YOU subsidise them. Insane when you look at the published numbers that go to UK rather than the rest of the EU

I suggest sir that you, are infact, the c*nt ;)

Quite possibly;)

I can, however, work out what 6 divided by 4 is, unlike the f*cking genious and his mates whom I ran into town the other night and had to ask me what the six pound fare was split between them.

And these are the people who will be running our country in a few years, great.:rolleyes:

Quite possibly;)

I can, however, work out what 6 divided by 4 is, unlike the f*cking genious and his mates whom I ran into town the other night and had to ask me what the six pound fare was split between them.

And these are the people who will be running our country in a few years, great.:rolleyes:

I bet he could spell genius though ;)

Agree with your point on most of those - but "businessman" - What did you mean by that? I meet plenty of people that you could deem to be 'business men' who are successful in business without having been to university.

MBAs...

Umm, actually you guys already did. :smt096

Now the NHS and it's agents scour the world stealing trained staff from poorer or less developed countries. Anyone noticed how many Asian staff work in the NHS? Most of them have been poached from here and further East.

Many articles about staff shortages across the ME & Asia because they all get offered minimum wage in the UK with Agencies and that is trbel what they could get over here.

But I am with SrS to a large extent on the student issue. Why the hell should the UK be cheaper than the rest of the EU and YOU subsidise them. Insane when you look at the published numbers that go to UK rather than the rest of the EU

Fair point but SRS wants to close all universities, and ban all unions, what next?