Not long now, so how about a predictions thread.

Colinjb

seriously...I think we will be lucky to get to the 1/4 finals. we have been terrible lately and seem to play so bloody slow

If we top the group will get the the quaters easy, if we finish second or Germany finish second will will probably go out in the first knockout round. Beating Ghana, Serbia or Australia really won't be a problem.

I really haven't got a clue. I'll say England to beat Italy in the final, if only because it'd cause a riot down the local bar and it would stop me getting too much verbal stick from my friends, pupils, footie team mates, unknown drunks in bars....

Edited by suewhistle
typos

We've never looked quite so sh*t, going into a tournament, so you may be right.

TBF i don't read much into that, Capello was tarting about with the side and if i was playing and knew i was in the squad (pretty much the qualifying 11) i wouldn't give it 100 % due to injury etc

we will do well under Capello, may be win it. But i just can't look past Spain tbh.

Argies would be a shout if they had a decent and sober manager.

We've never looked quite so sh*t, going into a tournament, so you may be right.

It was our most successful qualifying campaign in a long time. Ok we've looked very average in two friendlies but they where pretty pointless, I'm just glad we got through them without any injuries.

Lifted from another forum but apparently the squad has been leaked:

Green, James, Hart, Johnson, Carragher, Terry, King, Upson, Ferdinand, Cole A, Baines, Walcott, Lennon, Cole, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey.

It was our most successful qualifying campaign in a long time. Ok we've looked very average in two friendlies but they where pretty pointless, I'm just glad we got through them without any injuries.

Lifted from another forum but apparently the squad has been leaked:

Green, James, Hart, Johnson, Carragher, Terry, King, Upson, Ferdinand, Cole A, Baines, Walcott, Lennon, Cole, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey.

Happy enough with that really.

I would only have changed King for A.Johnson, lets face it everyone and his dog knows King won't even last the stairs to the plane without getting injured.

Winner has to be spain for me

Runner up Brazil

Underachievers ourselves as always

Best Player. David Villa

To be honest i can't see England beating any of the following. Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Brazil or even the Dutch. We are absolutely ****e to be fair!

• 1 month later...
Winner: Argentina

Runner Up: Spain. (I don't know whether that's possible, I haven't checked.)

Underachievers: France

Overachievers: USA

England will go out: Last 16.

English fans shock of the tournament: Rooney injured in 4th minute of the USA game, ruled out of tournament.

English fans suprise of the tournament: Crouch to step up in Rooney's absence and bag 4 goals in the tournament.

Now we're coming to the end of the tournament I thought it about time we resurrected this thread. To be honest there are some shocking predictions on here, but I'm really quite proud of how patriotic, or perhaps optimistic, some of you were before the tournament kicked off!

Goin by my predictions above, I was spot on with France, although Italy sort of stole their thunder, and spot on with England's exit. Saints will win the league next season - let's see whether I'm better with domestic predictions than World ones.

Winners: Spain - CORRECT

Runners-up: France (Score in the final 4-2) - a bit wrong

3rd place: Holland - one place out - close enough!

4th: Germany - see above

England will finish second in their group and get knocked up by the Germans, 3-1 AET. - CORRECT(ish)

The biggest surprise will be South Africa getting to the quater final (losing it on penalties). - wrong

Alonso will be player of the tournament. -IMO

Tournament top scorer will be Villa - close enough

England's joint top scorers will be Fat Lumpard and Peter Crouch both with 2 goals.

David James will concede at least 1 comedy goal. - David Jame/Rob Green...whats the difference?

Goal of the tournament will be scored by Messi v Nigeria - nope

Christiano Ronaldo will go off injured within the first half of Portugals first match.- what a shame

Ian Wright will annoy me if he's on the BBC.- I said IF.

Gareth Southgate will annoy me whatever channel he's on. - CORRECT

Rooney will not get any yellow cards.-CORRECT

Quite a feww good predictions in there if I do say so myself.