Phil Taylor

Hatch

He did have an MBE I believe, wasn't it taken away after he was convicted of indecent assault ? Quite a few years back now.

Sporting wise no one has ever been so much better than the rest, his desire to win still remains incredibly strong too.

He did have an MBE I believe, wasn't it taken away after he was convicted of indecent assault ? Quite a few years back now.

Sporting wise no one has ever been so much better than the rest, his desire to win still remains incredibly strong too.

You're right, I think he was charged in Scotland after an "incident" with two girls after a tournement and the honour was taken away

But surely it is time to honour him in some way, if Clive Woodward got a knighthood for basically winning the 6 nation and the World Cup in the same year and achieving nothing of note before or after, then Taylor who was won 17 world titles and too many other tv tournement to name should be honoured in some way.

Two 9 darters and the 10 darter were awesome but Wade was amazing as well

Hardly "girls" I'd suggest unless the ever reliable Wikipedia has got it wrong!

"In 2001 Taylor was convicted of indecent assault, after an incident after a 1999 exhibition match in Scotland. Two women, aged 23 and 25, accompanied Taylor back to his van after the event and later accused him of sexual assault. Taylor denied the charges but he was found guilty of indecent assault and fined £2,000. As a result, his MBE nomination from the 2001 New Year's honours was cancelled and annulled in May 2002."

Not exactly crime of the century and begs the question why the hell they went back to his van, maybe for some darts practice ?

You're right, I think he was charged in Scotland after an "incident" with two girls after a tournement and the honour was taken away

But surely it is time to honour him in some way, if Clive Woodward got a knighthood for basically winning the 6 nation and the World Cup in the same year and achieving nothing of note before or after, then Taylor who was won 17 world titles and too many other tv tournement to name should be honoured in some way.

Two 9 darters and the 10 darter were awesome but Wade was amazing as well

Only 15 world titles as yet lol

No one has dominated a sport or a game like Taylor has. I read somewhere he played well over 200 matches last year and won 97% of them.

It's a shame the BBC pretends he doesn't exist, I don't know whether it's down to BDO loyalty or what but Taylor definitely deserves some honour.

Not many people can dominate something for 20 years

Talking of darts.

Sid Waddell - what a c*ck!

Agree. I actually think that he is part of the problem with darts. In a attempt to drag it out of the 'pub game' genre and establish it's sporting credibility, he does nothing to enhance this prospect.

Of course we have as always the never ending debate as to whether darts is a sport ? For me, just my opinion, it definitely is as much a sport as Motor Racing, Show Jumping, Horse Racing and many other accepted sports I could name. Phil Taylor is as good at what he does as any sportsman in any field ever, he transcends darts and has done for 20 years. He took darts to a whole new level, no longer could darts players drink during matches and expect to win, not against the likes of Taylor. He practices for hours a day, his mental strength is exceptional and he takes his fitness years very seriously. Several years ago prior to a World Championship he lost 2 stone in order to get himself in top shape. However, though he reached the final he lost and though he'd never say it himself the reason he lost was because the weight loss changed his stance at the oche and his balance wasn't what it normally is. You just have to listen to his interviews, of course he'll say how proud he is to win another WC or perhaps more on Monday to hit 2 nine darters and rightly so, phenemonal. Yet he'll always have a good word for his opponent so he truly is a sportsman and one we can be proud of.

I suspect the reason the BBC tend to give darts only a brief mention at such events as the Sports Personality of the Year is because they can only cover the mediocrity of the BDO World Championship, just amateurish in comparison to the PDC.