another striker ...?

david in sweden

must be in Alan Pardew's thoughts...

Obviously Lambert was the hero of the season as is irreplaceable, but what happens if ..he's injured? Not only was he top scorer but best in assists too. Great that we have Barnard and Lallana but neither is a replacement for Rickie!

Being old enough to recall the great days of Ron Davies, I also recall the fall-out Saints had whenever Davies was injured. Defenders weren't kind to him and he had several spells when he was out for longer periods - and not always 100% fit when he bravely returned to fill the breach.

Looking at L1 goalscorers: Lambert 31 and Barnard 24 are already on our books. Beckford 25 moved to Everton while Paynter 26 (ex Swindon) will replace him at Leeds. Holt 24 and Martin 17 have gone up with Norwich, as has Morrison 21 with Millwall. The only other leading scorer still with his club from last season is Austin 20 at Swindon.

I cannot believe that AP doesn't have concerns about this - but where can we find good enough cover for Rickie Lambert..?

Edited by david in sweden

must be in Alan Pardew's thoughts...

Obviously Lambert was the hero of the season as is irreplaceable, but what happens if ..he's injured? Not only was he top scorer but best in assists too. Great that we have Barnard and Lallana but neither is a replacement for Rickie!

Being old enough to recall the great days of Ron Davies, I also recall the fall-out Saints had whenever Davies was injured. Defenders weren't kind to him and he had several spells when he was out for longer periods - and not always 100% fit when he bravely returned to fill the breach.

Looking at L1 goalscorers: Lambert 31 and Barnard 24 are already on our books. Beckford 25 moved to Everton while Paynter 26 (ex Swindon) will replace him at Leeds. Holt 24 and Martin 17 have gone up with Norwich, as has Morrison 21 with Millwall. The only other leading scorer still with his club from last season is Austin 20 at Swindon.

I cannot believe that AP doesn't have concerns about this - but where can we find good enough cover for Rickie Lambert..?

Would a quality striker be happy to play second string?

Would a quality striker be happy to play second string?

Exactly, we already have Lambert, Barnard and DC too. Would imagine we might get a kid on loan from a premiership team that would be happy being around our first team squad. Can't see us signing any striker to really get excited about.

Pardew has already gone on record saying he wants someone in case Lambert is not available!!

I know you're not in England but please keep up!! You sound like the Echo!!

Just kidding!

Won't be a priority for sure. The midfield is where we need to spend, sure we have numbers of people there but we need real quality, a man with vision and intellect.

The one player whose absence really affects our whole performance is Morgan Schneiderlin. When he's out through injury or suspension we are mediocre. Hammond is great at getting up and down and hustling but is more a link player than a creator. Despite his jinky skills on the ball, Adam really would not claim to be the architect of move building, seeing the right pass before the rest of us - only MS seems to have that gift and hanging on to him will not be easy re: St Etienne.

Won't be a priority for sure. The midfield is where we need to spend, sure we have numbers of people there but we need real quality, a man with vision and intellect.

The one player whose absence really affects our whole performance is Morgan Schneiderlin. When he's out through injury or suspension we are mediocre. Hammond is great at getting up and down and hustling but is more a link player than a creator. Despite his jinky skills on the ball, Adam really would not claim to be the architect of move building, seeing the right pass before the rest of us - only MS seems to have that gift and hanging on to him will not be easy re: St Etienne.

This.

Also, where is all this love for Simeon Jackson coming from? The lad is 5ft8 - he's definitely not a backup for Rickie. And he's had one good half season for Gillingham, who got relegated by the way. 35 goals in 101 games (quote Wikipedia) in tier 3/4 of English football doesn't sound like the record of someone who could carry us up through the leagues to the Premiership.

This.

Also, where is all this love for Simeon Jackson coming from? The lad is 5ft8 - he's definitely not a backup for Rickie. And he's had one good half season for Gillingham, who got relegated by the way. 35 goals in 101 games (quote Wikipedia) in tier 3/4 of English football doesn't sound like the record of someone who could carry us up through the leagues to the Premiership.

One goal in every three games for a poor team?

Canada's player of the year?

Reports such as this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/apr/07/steve-claridge-scouting-report-gillingham-simeon-jackson

Linked with Villa, trialled by Man City & Man Utd.

Simeon definately has something. He is not a replacement for Lambert, but could you imagine the two of them playing together?

Pardew has already gone on record saying he wants someone in case Lambert is not available!!

I know you're not in England but please keep up!! You sound like the Echo!!

Just kidding!

However, I recall AP's comments (and he did seem concerned) but my emphaisis was really on the .." finding someone good enough " part.

Neither Barnard or Connolly are that tall and we need another 6 footer as cover for Rickie.

Since posting this thread at breakfast, I see a report has come up that we are interested in Charlton's Nicky Bailey...!

StE aren't all that great, the only reason I could see for Morgan to go there is because he has been told by Mombaerts that he'd be in line for a call up for the Bleuets for their Euro 2011 campaign if he gets a "better standard of football". He had a very fair tournament at Toulon and it's obvious that he creates time with his play allowing others smart enough to see it the time to get into good positions to receive what invariably looks a very simple pass but which is only feasable because of the time gained in the first place.

I'm reasonably sure that he'll stay with us though, what AP doesn't need to do though is start f*cking him about with an any 4 from 6 midfielders policy,

I think it's fair to say that Pardew has done a great job in his transfer dealings so far and I see no reason for that to change! I'm sure that by kick-off of the first game we will be very pleased with the 5-6 additions I reckon he'll sign!!

I would love to see Charlie Austin signed and Bailey would be excellent! Dickson, Calderon, Antonio and Paddy McCartney would be good IMHO!!

One goal in every three games for a poor team?

Canada's player of the year?

Reports such as this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/apr/07/steve-claridge-scouting-report-gillingham-simeon-jackson

Linked with Villa, trialled by Man City & Man Utd.

Simeon definately has something. He is not a replacement for Lambert, but could you imagine the two of them playing together?

As i've stated in previous posts Simeon Jackson would provide us with the 1 thing that is severely lacking in our attacking options and that is pace! He may not be over 6ft tall but his is quick and could definitely give us another option in attack!

As i've stated in previous posts Simeon Jackson would provide us with the 1 thing that is severely lacking in our attacking options and that is pace! He may not be over 6ft tall but his is quick and could definitely give us another option in attack!

With Antonio and Waigo going (admittedly I'm still hopeful of us bringing Antonio back), we are very short on pacy players - agree that Jackson could fill that void, but we'd also need another IMO.

would rather we signed Austin if we sign a striker.